shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good diamond. Need help ASAP. Thx!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rtseng

Rough_Rock
Hi,there:
We have been looking for a perfect diamond for a while now and we seem to have found 1 or 2.

The first one is certified by GemScan, a Canadian appraiser. We don''t have much info. on this one except that it''s 1.06, F colour, VS2, and with an diameter of 6.5. If we go for this one, it will cost us another Cdn$300 to have it certified by GIA, which we will do. The price on this diamond excluding the $300 for GIA cert. is Canadian $ 9,300 or aroudn US$5,900.

The other diamond, which I like a lot more but I maybe biased, is a GIA diamond:
weight: 1.03, F coulor, VS2, 6.64*8.68*3.85, depth 57%, table 80%, qridle: thin to med. Polish: good. Symmetry: good. Cdn $9,300.

My concern is that the Gemscan diamond's lack of detailed info and we could potentially get a less qulaity diamond if it's graded by GIA. However, with the 2nd diamond (GIA), we are a little uncomfortable about the % of table. Is it too big? However, we both think that the GIA diamond has more lights and fire.

Both diamonds are sold by different stores, so we can''t look at them at the same time.

any idea? We would appreciate your professional opinions. thanks in advance.

:))

rtseng

Rough_Rock
both are round. and no, i don't have info on pavilion proportions etc
thx!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
8.68 - you mean 6.68?

The 80% table is unbelievable too - never seen one that bad before.

I think you should do some more homework. Perfection is a long way off.
Read the tutorial.

rtseng

Rough_Rock
thanks for help!

We both felt that it was the ONE (the GIA one, with table 80%) because it seemed to have more lights and fires. but after reading your comments and went over the tutorial, we are questioning that if it were the setting of the room in that store and the big diamond table that gave us an impression of it being a "better' diamond....... we are not sure if we saw the fish-eye effect, though we weren't looking for that either. we both appreciate your help.

just one more question, in your opinion, how much should someone pay for this diamond then? we now know that the price he gave us is too high. we tried to see if we can get an idea from various Interent dealers who list their prices, but like you said, we could not find any Internet diamond dealers that have an diamond with a talbe of 80%.

thank you very much. i guess our search for diamond is not over after all.
:confused:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I believe different levels of service and reputation deserve to comand different margins.
I think Mac Donalds could charge 3 times more for their hamburgers, but 1/10th of the same product in the best restaurant.
So I do not get involved ever in the fairness or cost of diamonds.
Sorry.
But yes the stone would show a fisheye :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results