shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sm16

Rough_Rock
I''m getting a round brilliant 1.21 Ct. VS1/H color/Very Good Cut diamond for $5,900. The depth% is 60.00 and the table% is 55.0 Is this a good deal, or can I do better. I''m being told it''s a wholesale price, but I wouldn''t know any better.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
It might be very nice, but you'll have to provide a little more info to be certain. Can you get crown and pavilion angles? Also, what are the dimensions (diameter and depth)?

sm16

Rough_Rock
These are the dimensions I was given for the stone -
6.85-6.88X4.20 and the girdle is thin to medium. The polish is good and symmetry is good as well. And it's GIA certified.
Thanks again!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
What's the return policy?

sm16

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure. Do you think it's too good to be true, or that it's not a good diamond?

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I don't know. Who is the seller? Did you look online and see if you could get the same deal. You need to know what the return policy is before you buy so there will not be any issues. I got my engagement ring from Blue Nile.com because my fiance like the 30 day return policy. Try Blue Nile, White Flash.com, Good old Gold, and others online. They will go out of their way to answer all of your question to make you feel comfortable about your purchase.

sm16

Rough_Rock
On bluenile.com the same diamond is about $800 more. The seller is a "friend's" uncle, but I don't know that well, so I'm not sure if he's giving me a good deal.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Check other online venders or be a little more flexible with your color or clarity. My ring is I color VS1 clarity and it's an ideal make and I love it.

Can you get the ring and get it appriased first before you buy it? If not I would look around before forking over that much money.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
The price looks a little to good to be true. I did a search on price scope and the diamond would run up to $1000 more. Is this just for the diamond or for the whole ring.

sm16

Rough_Rock
THat's just for the diamond. The whole ring is costing me $7,100. I'm getting a platinum ring with four round side stones equaling .60 ct., and I'm getting that for $1,200. May I ask you how much you got your VS1 diamond for, and what were the specs.

Thanks again!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
The specs are

$2291 for the diamond
$225 setting
.71 Round
I color
VS-1 clarity
61.9% Depth
57% Table
Good Polish
Good Symmetry
Platinum 6 prongs
18 karat yellow gold setting
Seller Blue Nile
GIA # Laser Inscribed
Blue Nile In-house appraisal $4800
Independent Appraisal $5000

sm16

Rough_Rock
That's a pretty nice deal. You think if I knock the size down to 1.00 ct., I'll save a $1000 or so?

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Did you buy the setting already and do you have a jeweler to set the diamond in the ring? You could probably go down to about 1.10. Whatever you do take your time and make sure your are getting as close to what you want as possible.

sm16

Rough_Rock
The setting and diamond is coming from the same jeweler. So you think if I go down to 1.10 ct, with the same quality, I'll then save about $1,000?

reena

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/8/2004 12:52:56 PM sm16 wrote:

The setting and diamond is coming from the same jeweler. So you think if I go down to 1.10 ct, with the same quality, I'll then save about $1,000?

----------------
either way, make sure you're getting what you pay for . . .

sm16

Rough_Rock
Do you think $7,100 for this ring is right?

sm16

Rough_Rock
This is the ring that I'm getting....not an actual picture, but the setting.

ringsm16.jpg

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked to see if any of the internet vendors have a similar setting and a diamond for your budget?

sm16

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I actually got this picture from bluenile.com, and this setting is going for $2400 on their site, but that's with .75 twct for the side stones, as opposed to the .60ct I'm getting.
I'm pretty confident that I'm getting the setting at good price of $1,200, but I was wondering more about the center stone.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Did you look at the wedding sets at Blue Nile and White Flash to compare or to find something similar that is less expensive?

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Your budget for the diamond is $5900? I would say do a search online and see what is the biggest diamond that you can get with all the specs. that you want and compare. The good thing about a new diamond is that you know exactly what you are getting because it will come with all the paper work to back up the price and you can return it! Maybe you could get compromise on the setting a bit.

Did you see if the seller of the diamond would let you get it appaised before you buy it? Like Reena said make sure you get what you're paying for! I hope we are helping you!
1.gif

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
couple of thoughts.
If he is a friend of the family, you may be getting a fair deal vs. online and a good deal vs another brick and mortar store. It is nice to have a trusted vendor just down the street to do any repair etc.

To have confidence on the center stone, ask the seller for a copy of the certification and the sarin report. With the sarin report you can plug the numbers into the HCA tool here on PS to assess the cut quality and what it would sell for in the PS database.

Tell the seller you want a return window that allows you to take it to an independent appraiser for an appraisal - for your insurance and piece of mind. Look under Resources for Appraiser links.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Todd07 good advice.

sm16

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much guys. I will definitely take your advice and ask for a copy of the certification and sarin report, along with a return policy.
Your help is greatly appreciated it!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results