shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good deal?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have the crown and pavillion information?

falcor

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1319250254|3045229 said:
Do you have the crown and pavillion information?
The crown is 35.5 and pavillion 41.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry. He tried to really take you the first time. I wouldn't even consider giving him the business. My brother-in-law has a jeweler who gives him "good deals" and I went to him once because I'd supposedly get a discount. Boy, he tried to charge me around double what the ring was worth! Thankfully I had it checked out while still able to return! (But he was still a jerk and didn't set my diamond back in my old setting! This was pre-pricescope and I won't ever make that mistake again!) People like this shouldn't be rewarded for misrepresenting their items. To tell you the first diamond was good or brilliant was a flat out LIE!!! It was about the worst stone I have ever seen on here, seriously!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went ahead and put the numbers into the HCA and it came out pretty badly:

Light Return Good
Fire Good
Scintillation Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 3.9 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right

We generally recommend diamonds that score 2.0 or less. Sometimes there can be one just over 2 that is okay. But for the most part, you can do much better than this. Most ideal cut stones score Excellent on the first 3 items and very good on the last. This one is just not close enough to recommend.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1319257918|3045280 said:

Light Return Good
Fire Good
Scintillation Good
Spread

We generally recommend diamonds that score 2.0 or less. Sometimes there can be one just over 2 that is okay. But for the most part, you can do much better than this. Most ideal cut stones score Excellent on the first 3 items and very good on the last. This one is just not close enough to recommend.

the numbers on the GIA report give HCA score of 2.6. I am not sure why there are both EGL and GIA reports?? GIA also grades as E/VVS2.

ETA this is a MUCH better choice than the first one. Do you see a big visual difference?

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
My friend, I think you did much better. Obviously I believe you could have got something that would have been along the standards we usually (HCA<2) use but overall IMO I think for the money, not bad especially since this relationship is obviously important to you. I personally don't trust this guy AT ALL and still can't help but wonder if there is something he is up to, but if you had the stone verified and you are happy, that is all that matters. I hope you can see the obvious difference in performance because even for the very fews pic, to me, it looks like a world of difference. Congratulation and good luck to you!

falcor

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry. He tried to really take you the first time. I wouldn't even consider giving him the business. My brother-in-law has a jeweler who gives him "good deals" and I went to him once because I'd supposedly get a discount. Boy, he tried to charge me around double what the ring was worth! Thankfully I had it checked out while still able to return! (But he was still a jerk and didn't set my diamond back in my old setting! This was pre-pricescope and I won't ever make that mistake again!) People like this shouldn't be rewarded for misrepresenting their items. To tell you the first diamond was good or brilliant was a flat out LIE!!! It was about the worst stone I have ever seen on here, seriously!

I definitely understand your point, although I actually think he lost some money (or didn't make much) with what I paid for the ring. I have told my brother to tell his boss to be careful with the jewelry he plans to purchase in the future. He made my ring buying experience an uncomfortable one, as I am not by nature an aggressive or confrontational person. I felt bad going back, but I did so because I want my girlfriend to have a nice rock. I will never go back to the jeweler- nor will I recommend him to anyone. I made friends with the guy that did the appraisal and will go to him for re-sizing and re-plating.

Light Return Good
Fire Good
Scintillation Good
Spread

This is what I don't understand. When I use the percentages instead of the degrees on the EGL USA report I get a score of 2.3.

the numbers on the GIA report give HCA score of 2.6. I am not sure why there are both EGL and GIA reports?? GIA also grades as E/VVS2.

ETA this is a MUCH better choice than the first one. Do you see a big visual difference?

The GIA report (which gives percentages as well) does show 2.6. There must be something wrong with the formula's conversion of degrees?

The visual difference is definitely apparent. I'm no diamond expert, but I can see that the new stone has more fire and brilliance.

falcor

Rough_Rock
TimMD|1319264742|3045310 said:
My friend, I think you did much better. Obviously I believe you could have got something that would have been along the standards we usually (HCA<2) use but overall IMO I think for the money, not bad especially since this relationship is obviously important to you. I personally don't trust this guy AT ALL and still can't help but wonder if there is something he is up to, but if you had the stone verified and you are happy, that is all that matters. I hope you can see the obvious difference in performance because even for the very fews pic, to me, it looks like a world of difference. Congratulation and good luck to you!

Thank you Tim. I won't be going back to the guy for anything. Now I have to plan the proposal. It's not easy being a guy! (No offense ladies).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
falcor|1319267250|3045313 said:
TimMD|1319264742|3045310 said:

Thank you Tim. I won't be going back to the guy for anything. Now I have to plan the proposal. It's not easy being a guy! (No offense ladies).

It's not the best you could have done for your budget... but it is very acceptable and I don't think your lady will be any wiser (do NOT let her on here!).

FINGER SHOTS! And proposal story! Congratulations.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations, this diamond looks much better than the previous one! I'm glad we could help, your soon to be fiance will be thrilled with her ring :)

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad you were able to return the first ring, which looked horrible, but I wish you had found the inner strength to just take your money back and let the experts here help you find a true stunner within your budget.

However, the second diamond is, while not the best you could have done for your money, pretty good. As you say, you worked hard for this money, and you deserve to get the best you can with it.

I do hope you're pleased with your purchase, and do let us know how the proposal goes.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Ditto all the others...it's not the top-not cut quality that we all encourage people to shoot for, but it's a huge improvement over the first one and certainly worth the extra $500.

Out of curiosity, do you know why there's both an EGL and a GIA report? Did they get an EGL diamond and send it off to GIA basically to verify the grading?

ETA: I believe angles are more accurate than percentages for the HCA. I'm not sure why, but it sounds unfortunately like the worst of the 3 HCA scores is the most accurate. Still, it's a much better diamond than the first one, which is apparent from the photo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results