shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mochamamasita

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys,

So, I''ve found the style that I want my engagement ring to be, but I''m still deciding on the actual stones that I want. The arrangement that I''m looking at is $2,000 and it''s a 1.25ct ring with a H color and it''s an I1. Do you guys think that''s a good deal?

31709.jpg

JasonFaber

Rough_Rock
There are just too many variables to answer your question correctly. Usually the only time you see 1.25ct worth of diamonds at a cost of $2000 is if either it is used and/or it is of poor quality. Also the stats on all of those diamonds cannot be the exact same either. Perhaps the place that is selling it said that they wont go under H in color and I1 in clarity? Also what is the type of metal used, 14k gold ?

mochamamasita

Shiny_Rock
It''s a 14k white gold and I was considering getting it from a chain store called Zales. They said that the color ranges from H to I and the clarity ranges fron I1 to I2.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi mocha,

As JF said, there are really too many variables to say if the price is good or not.

I'm wondering if you understand the clarity grades they are giving for the diamonds they use? If so, then please disregard the following. At I1-I2, they will surely be visable to the naked eye, and in stones that size (moreso the melee/pave), my guess is that they will also affect light return and performance. In other words, the stones will not be very sparkly.

Also, we have no idea how well cut the stones are. The cut (not the shape) is what can make or break a diamond. The better the cut, the more beautiful and sparkly they are.

JasonFaber

Rough_Rock
Zales is really not known for using high quality diamonds, but in your case, because there are so many diamonds and they are small, it really should minimize the flaws in the diamonds. And, even if the brilliance/fire will be poor on each one (which im sure it will be), there are so many diamonds, even a small spark from every other one will make the entire ring sparkle nice. I just would not recommend buying a ring at Zales where the basis of the brillance/fire from the ring will be dependant on a single diamond, just make sure you keep the center with the 4 princess diamonds. For $2000 there are only so many options that you have, but as long as you are happy with your puchase, that is all that counts.

Good luck with your engagement btw
2.gif

sillygoose

Rough_Rock
Trade
It is a pretty ring in person, but be careful with those "type" of settings. The stones are prone to get loose and fall out. You don''t want the ring to spend more time getting fixed than spending on your finger.
And quality, the ring I believe is P2, or Q in there store quality codes. That means more than likely they are I2 in clarity and I in color.

Good luck and congrats.
26.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
What do you mean by "I''m still deciding on the actual stones I want"? I think this is a stock ring, so you probably don''t have a choice in the matter.

If that''s the case, then I would just recommend inspecting the one you''re buying closely before committing. Ask to look at it under magnification (with I1-I2 clarity you want to make sure there aren''t ugly black spots you''ll be able to see), and make sure you like how it looks in all lighting, not just the sparkly jewelry store lighting.

Best of luck.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Mocha,
Congratulations on getting a ring!

Based on the photo you posted, the ring has what is known as "invisibly set" diamonds.
The "center" stone is actually 4 diamonds set from beneath, so there''s no metal seen between them.
This type of setting is extremely problematic- if the ring bends even a little bit ( probable over time) then a stone or two or three or four will pop out.
At that point the ring will never be the same.

For this reason manly- in addition to the great advice about the poor quality diamonds already given- I''d suggest considering a ring that might be a little more simple- but one that will be more durable and wear better.....

mochamamasita

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for all of the tips guys

emsmile.gif

JasonFaber: I actually looked at a version of the ring that only had one diamond in the center and I completely agree that it wasn''t as sparkly as the quad cut. Now that I''ve read your post, I know exactly why it wasn''t as sparkly.

sillygoose and Rockdiamond: Ya, I have heard that invisible settings can come lose so I''ll make sure I''m careful and that I get good insurance for the ring.

phoenixgirl: When I said I was still deciding on the actual stones I wanted, I meant that I found a ring I liked from Zales, but I was considering having the same style of ring made at another independent store and using stones that were better quality than Zales. (I think that I''ll probably just go with the Zales ring though).

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
If I were you, I''d look at what else is out there for $2000. You''ll be surprised at what else you might find and like (I know I did
21.gif
). But after all the search your heart is still set on this one, I''d say go for it but only if you appreciate and you''re OK with the trade offs as pointed out by some of the PS''ers earlier.

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
I say if you''re thinking about using better quality stones and having someone else make a replica DO IT! I bet Whiteflash ACA''s would look AWESOME in that ring
31.gif

As far as $2k being a good price I dunno - too many variables like everyone else said. But it being from Zales, I would have to assume that the chances of it being over-priced are pretty much guaranteed.

But if that''s what your heart desires and you will be happy with it forever then it maybe worth it!
3.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Best of Luck Mocha!
FYI- Insurance is not going to solve the problems that are common with invisible settings. If a stone comes out the insurance company will want to replace the stone.
When these rings are repaired, it''s always obvious.
Or, if they replace the ring, you''ll be in the same position- stuck with a ring you really can''t wear comfortably.

Of course, whatever you decide, we wish you the best!
Let us know how it turns out!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with the others that you could find much better quality for $2K. Zales diamonds will be over-priced and will not be of good quality. You will definitely be able to see inclusions in I2 stones as well. Especially outside of their store lighting.

mochamamasita

Shiny_Rock
Hmmmm. You guys are giving me a lot to think about. lol. Well, at least I have plently of time to think about it because my boyfriend said he''s proposing by next March, which leaves me a whole year to pick out a ring I like. (Unless he proposes sooner
emotion-5.gif
).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results