shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good deal? Natural Pink and Yellow Diamonds, GIA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arax

Rough_Rock

Hello All,

I''m fairly new to Price Scope and I really like reading the postings. Well, I am interested in a ring available on Ebay. The seller is a legit seller (power seller and 100% positive feedbacks: 522 feedbacks and has hundreds of diamonds for sale.
I wanted to know if this particular ring is worth it. It''s originally posted at $50k, but he saidex he''d sell it at $40k, a substantial discount. I wanted to know if it was worth it. All three diamonds are GIA certified.
It''s a unique looking ring as you can see, with a 1.57 ct Fancy Intense Yellow Asscher cut.
Square Emerald Cut
Natural Fancy Intense Yellow, even distribution.
SI2 clarity
excellent polish
good symmetry
extremely think grade
table 58%
depth 84.9%
Culet none
measurements: 6.01 x 5.81 x 4.93mm
Flouresence none

Each of the 2 pink diamonds:
Square Emerald Cut
Natural Fancy Intense Pink
0.27 carats
3.77 x 3.77 x 2.24mm
depth 59.4%
table 68%
Girdle Thin to Medium
Culet none
polish good
symmetry very good
clarity vs2
even distribution
Flouresence medium blue

Square Emerald Cut
Natural Fancy Intense Purplish Pink
0.33 carats
3.95 x 3.74 x 2.58mm
depth 69.0%
table 68%
Girdle slightly thick to thick
Culet none
polish good
symmetry good
clarity vs2
even distribution
Flouresence medium blue

The ring is platinum 18kt yellow and pink gold
96 diamonds totaling 0.35ct F-G color, VS clarity

Any ideas or suggestions? Is the price good? I want an investment piece I can get a good deal on and pass to my kids...
THANK YOU!

Roxy

Arax

Rough_Rock
Here is 1 pic

PinkandYelow2.jpg

Arax

Rough_Rock
Here is the other pic...
Thanks.

PinkandYellow.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *would* buy from Diamonds by Lauren via e-bay (but David is the ONLY one I can think of that I would do that with). That being said, can you just buy it from him outright and not go through the e-bay process? I've never bought anything on e-bay so I don't know if the suggestion makes sense but I personally would just "feel better" about the whole thing, although that is probably just my own inexperience talking (have I mentioned yet that I have never bought anything from e-bay, LOL?!). You do seem to have a 7 day money back guarantee even with buying it through e-bay so it appears that you can send it back if you don't love it once it comes.

ETA: I guess I didn't really address your main qusetion though, whcih was whether the piece was a good deal. Honestly I have no idea, so hopefully the experts will chime in. But my understanding is that it's much more difficult to price fancy colored stones versus white stones, which are more of a commodity where you can "pricescope your diamond" and find out if you're paying somewhere in a reasonable ballpark.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Hi Arax!

Dee*Jay is right, colored diamonds make it harder to suggest or guess a reasonable price.

First off, the ring is lovely. I like the yellow and pink together very much--and I think the only way I could possibly like the ring more would be if the gold was rose...then, I might have to out bid you and snatch that beauty up for myself! It is drool worthy for sure!

Secondly, when I was at my jeweler the other day, he had a lovely 4+ct yellow intense radiant diamond in a super lovely setting that had an additional 3+carats of white and pink diamonds for $80,000...the orginial sticker on the ring was $118,000. The ring was already sold to man whose wife had just beaten breast cancer, but I digress.... I would do more research on colored stones before buying the ring...I''ve seen so may different prices for a yellow of the same carat weight that it can be rather confusing.

Also, it kind of worries me that the pink emeralds have different color discriptions..."Pink" and "Purplish Pink". It was hard to see the color acurately of the pink diamonds in the ring since the ring was posed at weird angles and such. Again, I am by no means a colored stone expert...but I would wonder if that was like putting a D color semi-next to a I color. Maybe not that extreme, but who really knows?!?! I would take full advantage of the return policy if you can clearly see a pigment difference.

Again, tho...just my opinion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the seller Diamonds by Lauren? If so, I''d look at their website and see what their normal return policy is. The only way I would consider such a purchase is to do it off ebay with a return policy that allowed me time to have it independently appraised by a well qualified appraiser, such as the ones we know here on PriceScope. There is no way to know if the price is good or not without an independent appraisal.

Arax

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great responses everyone!
How did you know if was "diamonds by Lauren"?

Yeah, I don''t know if it''s a good deal or not. The fact that all 3 are GIA certified, makes me a little bit more comfortable that what it is, actually. But I don''t know where I can look up the actual value of these.
I am looking for that lifetime ring, and unfortunately I don''t have a huge huge budget. I don''t think I''ll ever be able to afford a blue diamond, which I''ve always wanted. Whatever I get though, I''d want to be high quality and nothing enhanced.
Thanks for your input!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2008 6:36:56 PM
Author: Arax
How did you know if was ''diamonds by Lauren''?
Diamonds by Lauren is a well known vendor of colored diamonds and his pieces often have the "look" of the one that you posted. It was easy to confirm that was a DBL ring with a quick e-bay search. I''ve spoken with David and would not hesitate to buy from him, but again I would do it through a non-e-bay transaction if possible, especially if there is a benefit to going that way (i.e., perhaps a longer return window).

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
How did you know if was ''diamonds by Lauren''?

Yeah, I don''t know if it''s a good deal or not. The fact that all 3 are GIA certified, makes me a little bit more comfortable that what it is, actually. But I don''t know where I can look up the actual value of these.
I am looking for that lifetime ring, and unfortunately I don''t have a huge huge budget. I don''t think I''ll ever be able to afford a blue diamond, which I''ve always wanted. Whatever I get though, I''d want to be high quality and nothing enhanced.
Thanks for your input!
Ummmm....you don''t have a huge budget? A lot of people would consider 40k a huge budget.....and 40k will get a stunner of a lifetime ring!

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Arax,

It really is hard to say anything about price overall, but you might want to try to compare prices for yellows on sites like icestore.com and thediamond.com. This is not 100% apples to apples, but I just checked on icestore.com and they have an emerald cut 1.5 fancy intense yellow with VS2 clarity for $13,500. Pinks are harder to price out than yellows because there just aren''t as many available.

One thing that would concern me about the asscher in that ring is that because it is a square emerald cut, the SI2 clarity might be an issue. A clarity of VS2 would be the lowest I would go in order to have an eye clean stone in an emerald or asscher cut.

Do you have any closeups of the asscher so you can see where and what type of inclusions are present? I noticed the plot was not included in the photographs posted in the auction. I would want to know where the inclusions are and how visible they are to the naked eye before purchasing.

Also, while I like the combination of colors, are the pinks really matched in color and cut? One of the pinks looks to have a slightly more elongated look (in the table) to it than the other stone.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a blue diamond, which I've always wanted.
Well then I think you definitely need a blue diamond! At $40K it won't be 2 carats but getting something you've always wanted will be pretty cool. Even if you buy yellow or pink you'll still be wanting the blue.

debhew

Rough_Rock
Arax - The seller of the ring you are interested in is Diamonds by Lauren

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 8:39:30 PM
Author: elmo

I don''t think I''ll ever be able to afford a blue diamond, which I''ve always wanted.

Well then I think you definitely need a blue diamond! At $40K it won''t be 2 carats but getting something you''ve always wanted will be pretty cool. Even if you buy yellow or pink you''ll still be wanting the blue.

As elmo said, if blue is really your dream, I think you should consider getting a blue diamond. And, I think you would definitely be able to find a blue diamond with a 40k budget. Maybe something in the fancy grayish blue or fancy light blue range? However if you are looking to get something that is as large as the yellow in that ring, that wouldn''t be very realistic.

Arax

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for all of your responses. I will most likely pass on buying this ring. I will wait for a blue diamond. If anyone knows of where I can buy one at a good price, please advise. I am in no hurry, but would buy if it''s a really good deal.
Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, I''d like to have a blue diamond, too, but realistically, a blue diamond of quality is going to be pretty small for a very large price. You can get a ring with so much more presence with a yellow center. But I''d still wait and get the best possible quality.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
If you want a blue (I LOVE blues!), call that seller and let him know, he''ll be able to hunt one down in your budget, I''ve seen him sell blues before.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2008 2:26:52 PM
Thank you all for all of your responses. I will most likely pass on buying this ring. I will wait for a blue diamond. If anyone knows of where I can buy one at a good price, please advise. I am in no hurry, but would buy if it''s a really good deal.

Thanks!

Arax, do you know what size and shade of blue you want? If your budget is $40-50k you certainly can get a blue diamond. The question is, is there a particular size, shape, and shade of blue that you are looking for that will fit into your budget or make it too cost prohibitive?

I have a fancy grayish blue but it was bought quite some time ago and prices have gone up since.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results