shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good deal? GIA Certified diamond

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I am new here but have done some research on diamonds. Anyways, I am eying a all natural diamond not enhanced. Here are the stats:
COST: $7,000 Cash diamond only not setting

GIA Appraised/Certificate
1.87 C
Shape and Cutting Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements 7.97 - 8.03 x 4.79 mm

PROPORTIONS
Weight 1.87 C
Depth 59.9
Table 60
Griddle medium to slightly thick, faceted.
Cutlet None

FINISH
Polish and Symmetry both Very Good

Clarity VS2
Color J
Florescence none

Comments: Additional clouds are not shown

GIA Certificate - I crossed out the certificate # myself

I take it from doing the proportions it is just on the boarder of premium and Good cut but is rated good cut...

What do you think? Do you think the stone looks too yellow? Good deal or just so so? Also, the pics are not from me as I have not seen it in person...the ring is not local but jeweler has good reputation. This diamond is "pre owned" I might add.

Thanks for your advise and opinions.

Envyme

Edited GIA.jpg

ring.JPG

ring 2.jpg

ring 3.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
When was the GIA report issued?

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Not enough information. Do you have the crown angles, etc for HCA? Look under tools, then select HCA. Those are the numbers that we would need to evaluate the cut quality.

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
The report was from 2003. :)

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I don't have all of the info and it doesn't appear to have them on the GIA certificate so I guess I will email them and find out the info on that. :) Crown, Pavilion, & Cutlet* are unknown but I will ask them.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
No point asking GIA as they only start keeping track of angles by mid 2005, which is why I ask for the date of the report.

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
Stone-cold11|1291587699|2788204 said:
No point asking GIA as they only start keeping track of angles by mid 2005, which is why I ask for the date of the report.

Is the info that is being requested to determine the true value of the diamond ie HCA something the jewler can tell me or is it more something a lab like GIA would need to tell me?

Also, lets say it is something the lab needs to tell me then based only on the info given and the stated info in the report/pics I have shown would 7K seem like a good deal?

Does the ring seem "yellow" from the pics?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
HCA is something you calculate from crown angle, pavilion angle, depth % and table %. It will just tell you how well the cut is- that way people could tell you if the price you are paying is accurate for the color, clarity, carat, and cut grade.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
Amys Bling|1291599301|2788362 said:
HCA is something you calculate from crown angle, pavilion angle, depth % and table %. It will just tell you how well the cut is- that way people could tell you if the price you are paying is accurate for the color, clarity, carat, and cut grade.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I read up on how to calculate it from your link and the others above but I don't have that info and either does GIA bc it was before they started keeping track of that stuff...so I guess as far as crown angle and pavilion angle is that something the jeweler could tell me since the GIA report doesn't?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I don't think your jeweler can give you this information (maybe if the diamond is unmounted and they run a scan, if they have that equipment available?)

Have you seen it in person?

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1291602590|2788430 said:
I don't think your jeweler can give you this information (maybe if the diamond is unmounted and they run a scan, if they have that equipment available?)

Have you seen it in person?
No, because it isn't local to me... :(

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
It could be a good deal. I would have an appraiser check it out to verify if it matches the cert. Also because of the date of the cert, the stone could be a trade in. So I would also have the appraiser check for nicks, chips, scratches, etc..

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
whatmeworry|1291604987|2788462 said:
It could be a good deal. I would have an appraiser check it out to verify if it matches the cert. Also because of the date of the cert, the stone could be a trade in. So I would also have the appraiser check for nicks, chips, scratches, etc..

What I am going to do then is call tomorrow AM and let them know that since the report is from '03 I would like an updated report done on the ring through GIA and I would like the lazer inscribed diamond certificate # inscribed in the diamond as well. I will happily pay for it at the additional cost which seems to be about $120 or so. It would give me the piece of mind and also would make it almost impossible for them to be dishonest about the stone. It will have the stats and such that were missing form the older report. That would make me feel better anyways :) If it comes back with less than they told me color etc then I will ask for a refund on my deposit (which I gave via paypal) OR a lower cost. They have a good return policy.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a plan.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen the color video...you seem to be worried about it being a J. This video gives you a relative color difference between
a D and a J. Worth a look if you havent seen it.

http://www.vimeo.com/3288695

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
Well, I didn't go with this deal after all...it was so shady. I went and made the deposit on the ring/paypal...then Monday AM looked in my emails and saw a refund from them! I was like whaatt. I called immediately and found out that supposedly they were given an offer that was higher by someone who comes by and buys a lot of there stones in bulk-yeah right :Up_to_something: so they could sell me the stone and the ring as a set for 7,800 or no go. I said I would have to think about it. I then proceeded to ask if they would send out to GIA on my behalf for appraisal on my dine-answer was NO. He was very rude and basically said there was no point since GIA already appraised it. My response was yeah back in '03...so long story short I never called the jerks back. I was so pissed!! Why would they have an issue with me paying for my own GIA appraisal?? But now on to better news. Since I live near LA and I know the jewelery district can be a great place to get a deal (but also can be a place to get ripped off if you don't know what you are looking at) so I went to to stops and now I am down to 2 stones...
STONE 1:
1.60 C round brilliant cut
HCA score of 2.0 - Very Good
VS2
borderline I-J -looks more like an I to me. There were 2 certs on it from 2 diff appraisal companies EGL being one of them I don't recall and they rated it an I.
Griddle Thin to Medium Faceted
No florescence
Polish VG
Symmetry G

I knew when I saw it that it was a stunning stone at a good price $6,200 cash. I just calculated the HCA and I am pleased with that -which is why I am leaning towards this stone ATM. I just wish it was closer to 2 C but the price would jump a lot, I am sure. Plus, I made the mistake with ring #1 "promise ring" given to me 6 plus yrs ago when I chose size over clarity. I ended up trading that Princess cut one in for a larger diamond (trade in/upgrade) to a 1 ct heart shaped that I like but don't love. The sparkle is not there/no life to it after a little bit of wear... but it's still a nice stone just not WOW look how pretty that is. On the other hand I have an old mine cut (from Jewelery district as well) that my dad gave me when I turned 18 which is .50 C that is always shiny, has such life to it and all AND is very white! SO white that if I put it next to a white shirt the stone is as white or whiter LOL. I hate to say it but if it wasn't for my setting that I have on my 1 C - I would probably prefer my .50 C. ;-)

Now the second stone I am going to see in person tomorrow. The guy had it at his bros shop down the road and said he would bring it by tomorrow. This is a 1.72 C princess cut -
VS2
I color
Polsih very good
excellent symmetry

I don't have the HCA yet or anything else but I love that it is a bit less for the size of the stone being slightly larger $6,090. I think RB in general cost a little more per C then princess (if I recall)...anyways, I like some of the princess settings and I like that they are in a way unique and not every day I walk down the st. and see one. I also like that it is the first stone BF and I picked out together 6 yrs ago. On the other hand I love the classic style of the round. I know, I am complicated. BUT regardless I have to see the princes first.

I read somewhere that the face of a Princess can appear smaller in size then a RB cut but the Princess tends to be deeper...Is that a good general rule of thumb ? If so, I have my answer already RB -

ANyways, I promise I am done rambling on :lol:

Decisions Decisions

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI - HCA only works for round brilliants and yes, well cut princess are deeper than RB. You should take a look at it
though and figure out if you like round or square shapes better. Most people have a preference. Remember you will
probably have this stone for a long time so pick the shape you like best.

Also, we cant really help too much with princess shapes stones without pictures/aset images/IS image so ask if they
have any of those.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ditto, HCA is only for round brilliant diamonds. princesses are cut deeper than rounds. ultimately I would pick what YOU like best!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hm, well what shape do you prefer? You have a heart shape stone, and a round old cut stone from your dad (1 ct, and .50ct respectively).... so do you want to add another round to your collection or go with the princess. You said your first stone was a princess.... maybe you are subconsciously thinking that you are getting a new princess to make up for the one you traded in? :naughty:

I would look at the stones in person, and see what stone speaks to you. *IF* it were my money, I might go for the princess as you said you have a round stone you adore already.

it is really about which stone speaks to you! :bigsmile:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is why I would go with the princess!

I cut this from your post...
Now the second stone I am going to see in person tomorrow. The guy had it at his bros shop down the road and said he would bring it by tomorrow. This is a 1.72 C princess cut -
VS2
I color
Polsih very good
excellent symmetry

I don't have the HCA yet or anything else but I love that it is a bit less for the size of the stone being slightly larger $6,090. I think RB in general cost a little more per C then princess (if I recall)...anyways, I like some of the princess settings and I like that they are in a way unique and not every day I walk down the st. and see one.[b] I also like that it is the first stone BF and I picked out together 6 yrs ago. [/b]On the other hand I love the classic style of the round. I know, I am complicated. BUT regardless I have to see the princes first.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I would exercise some caution. The brothers may be giving you the old razzle dazzle. Do you trust them?

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
I didn't move forward with this stone but I am really finding this decision on what to buy for the money difficult. There are just so many factors to consider & it's something I don't want to ever regret buying. I tend to be the buy now exchange later person.

Here is my situation. I saw both stones discussed earlier & wasn't happy with the EGL grading. I wanted eye clean and a nice whiteish stone not YELLOW (in this case)! So, I held off.

Do I can buy in the 6k range now or do a layaway for 3 months and end up with a 8-10K stone?

My problem is I want my stone to have beautiful properties and also a nice size. I am torn between not wanting to have a huge burden for my BF to deal with financially bc his work is in sales and he is self employed & picking a ring I will love love love. Size doesn't always matter but to an extent it does to me.

I have been going back and forth between old mine or cushion cut diamonds (with maybe a J/K color) & modern a exc cut color exc.

I have it down:

Antique:
Cushion

Old Mine cut:
Round

Modern:
Round
Cushion

I have seen some stones that wouldn't be "I" in color but more like J/K/L but they (from pics) are stunning in there very own way because they are old mine cut stones & have their own beauty in the light they throw. I love their old world charm. BUT I don't want this to be well I got it because it was a better price for the size but really it's not in my heart (although I think it's something I really would love). I do think it takes a special setting to make them POP though or they don't have the same effect I like.

My goal is to eventually get a Leon setting and I think that in ways the old mine cuts & antique cushions I have seen (on his new site) with his settings are stunning BUT I have not seen them first hand. But there goes 3K for a setting - maybe more. So at some point I am back to 10 k...so do I want modern with a non leon setting in the 6-10k range or can I pull of a classy old mine cut with a LM setting that I will lust over. :?:

Part of my problem is I want my ring NOW. I have waited almost 7 yrs for this :D So, I hate the layaway plus the added financial burden on BF BUT I love that I could end up with a bigger stone.

LM.jpg

LM 2.jpg

r1190_001Ww.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results