shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good deal for a F VS1?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ppxstylez

Rough_Rock
I purchased a loose stone for an engagement ring and am curious if I got a good deal.

GIA Certified
Shape/Cut: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.16 - 6.20 x 3.53 mm
Diameter: 6.175mm
Weight: 0.82 carats

Proportions
Depth: 3.54mm 57.1%
Table: 3.93mm 64%
Crown: 30.5 (Angle), 10.9%
Pavill: 41.4 (Angle), 43.2%
Girdle: Thin to Medium faceted
Culet: 2.1%, Small

Finish
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good

Clarity Grade: VS1
Color Grade: F
Fluorescence: None

I paid $2,930 out the door. Is this an ok price for a diamond of this quality. I wish I found this site before I purchased this diamond. Like many others, I thought clarity and color was the most important and did not pay as much attention to the cut.

All responses are appreciated in regards to the price I paid for the diamond.
Thank you.

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Holloway Cut Adviser
Selected: 57.1% depth, 64% table, 30.5° crown angle, 41.4° pavilion angle
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish
HCA scores were adjusted Dec. 15, 2001 and Feb. 6, 2003.

Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Fair
Scintillation Fair
Spread
or diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 3.6 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Looks like a good deal. At least the pricescope search engine returns the lowest price of $3388 for this kind of stone.

Enjoy your diamond,

Irina

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you think it''s a nice diamond?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

Are you asking because you are thinking of returning this diamond, or are you keeping it?

ppxstylez

Rough_Rock
If I didnt get a great deal on it, I was thinking of returning it. I didn''t learn about the importance of cut until after I bought and found this site. When I first saw the diamond, i thought it was nice but after looking at the loose stone at home, I now wish it was a little more brilliant and sparkly.

Will it look different once it''s mounted on the ring? Is it possible that holding it with my fingers can affects the sparkling look?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 1:45:40 PM
Author: ppxstylez
If I didnt get a great deal on it, I was thinking of returning it. I didn''t learn about the importance of cut until after I bought and found this site. When I first saw the diamond, i thought it was nice but after looking at the loose stone at home, I now wish it was a little more brilliant and sparkly.

Will it look different once it''s mounted on the ring? Is it possible that holding it with my fingers can affects the sparkling look?
If you can return it still and you are willing to decrease a little in color and clarity and/or increase your budget, you can get the same size stone with a better cut. It is up to you but if you look at the diamond and don''t see a lot of sparkle, mounting it isn''t going to make it better, I don''t believe. Can you still return it? Are you very color sensitive? If not a G or H will look great in that size. Any reason you want to have a VS1 clarity? A VS2 or an eye-clean SI1 will do the job just as nicely without compromising cut. Just some things to consider.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are supposed to be sparkly and brilliant and shoot fire. If it doesn't do that, what's the point? Don't accept mediocrity, go for amazing.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The proportions of this diamond can be greatly improved on, the cut isn't good from the info given and no mounting will make it look better unfortunately. I would suggest returning it and find one which is better cut which will blow your socks off sparklewise! It doesn't have to be a Superideal cut, a generic great cut will still be beautiful and be a good performer if you pay attention to the proportions etc. Cut is so so important to make a diamond sparkle - as Julie says don't accept mediocrity when you can have amazing without too much difficulty!

ppxstylez

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I returned the diamond and I will be looking for a stone with a better cut. I decided to drop a grade or two in color to G or H and will be focusing more on the cut.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you made a wise decision.
2.gif

Good luck in your search, and if you should have any questions, we''re here to help.
1.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Good decision. And, for me, decreasing clarity is better than decreasing color. Eye clean is eye clean, whether the diamond is VVS or SI2.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 8:01:42 PM
Author: ppxstylez
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I returned the diamond and I will be looking for a stone with a better cut. I decided to drop a grade or two in color to G or H and will be focusing more on the cut.
In this size, you can easily go down to an H/I SI combo and have a lovely combination if you focus on cut.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That IS good news, I am so glad you returned it, now you can focus on getting a sparkly sock exploder!!

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
I would see if a stone like this is eyeclean
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=985123

Then you have the F color still and a great cut

ps- i never knew that james allen had idealscope images before!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results