shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good deal? (EC)

aminarov

Rough_Rock
I found this diamond through a family connection and I can get it shipped to me in a setting of my choosing (up to like $600) for $8,000 out the door. This is going to be a solitaire so I just wanted to make sure that I was getting a good deal. I'm also assuming the knot in the picture can't be seen unless magnified so it's eye clean right, being a VS2? Any help from the experts would be appreciated. Thanks!

GIA report number: 6201836258
Measurements: 7.48 x 5.63 x 3.79 mm
Carat Weight: 1.51 carat
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: VS2
Depth: 67.3 %
Table: 65 %
Girdle: Thick to Very Thick
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Clarity Characteristics: Knot

dia_2.jpg

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
aminarov|1462913444|4029909 said:
...I'm also assuming the knot in the picture can't be seen unless magnified so it's eye clean right, being a VS2?

Hey mate - I'm in the trade so I can't comment on the quality/price etc of the stone specifically - but generally, step cuts are pretty unforgiving with clarity, so any inclusions aren't going to be hidden like they might be in a brilliant cut, even in the VS range. My suggestion if you're concerned about it being eye-clean, is to ask the person selling it to you (and get their definition of eye clean as they're not all the same).
Hope this helps

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Need ASET but I think the facets at center are dead. So you can do better

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a VS2 with the inclusion right in the middle of the table is a very risky choice. I'd go with VS1 or a VS2 with no inclusions visible under the table.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I think you can do better. I would be concerned about the inclusion particularly in this cut. :wavey:

aminarov

Rough_Rock
Is that worth the extra $600 I would pay to get an out the door ring? So the extra cost would be almost 1k?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't say that. If you budget is 8k. Then you need to find the best stone for that budget. It will mean either dropping in color, or in weight though, in all likelihood.

You can see if your family friend can get ahold of that stone. And at what price.

I would not spend 8k on a stone with a visible inclusion though.

aminarov

Rough_Rock
I agree. I'm getting the ring tomorrow so I will see if it is up to my standards. If not then I will return it and either buy online and set it locally or give him a chance to get my business. I don't think I want to drop in color because H is already cutting it. I would rather go to a 1.35 or 1.4 H VS1 than sacrifice color at this point. I'm going to see if it is eye clean tomorrow and ill post an update

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pay attention to the facets on either side of the keel. They should be lively and reflective. If they are static and dark, move on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results