shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good deal? 1.52 ct, Oval Diamond, J color, I1 clarity for 1,856.25.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Roslindale

Rough_Rock
Is this a good deal?

1.52ct. Oval Diamond
Carat Weight: 1.52
Color: J Clarity: I1
Depth%: 71.1
Table %: 59
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Good Girdle:
Medium / Very Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.2x6.1x4.34

Price $1,856.25

I''m looking for an inexpensive diamond that is eye clean has good sparkle & brilliance and some size. I saw this and thought it might fit the bill but I need some good opinions. I''m hoping some of you can figure out how this stone might perform in terms of fire & brilliance and is it a good deal for the price.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I could be wrong, but I don''t believe an I1 diamond will be eye clean. It sounds like that is one of your criteria, so if I were you, I''d keep looking.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I think the price is low, but I am not very confident that what you will be recieving will be worth it nonetheless. Do you know which lab graded this diamond? I1 is likely to have visible inclusions. This is not always the case, and some PSers do have eyeclean I1s but they are the exception and not the rule. A J color in a fancy is going to show some color also. If the diamond has a certificate by EGL, you can guess that the color and/or clarity grades may be off a bit. Good symmetry and polish are also a bit of a turn off for me. 71.1 is way too deep for my tastes. Have you seen this diamond? Is it from an online vendor?

Ovals are fancy cuts and need to be seen to be evaluated. We can't say much from the numbers alone. Is this for an engagement ring? Tell us more about what you are looking for. I think you can do much better than this, even without seeing pictures.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Just some thoughts before others here continue to give you expert advice:

Ovals tend to show their color more easily than rounds.

They tend to look larger for their relative weight, therefore you can go for better color and clarity and cost less than a round of the same weight, color, and clarity.

They can show a bowtie which is not usually a desirable trait.

The one you have shown seems deep for it''s table. A lot of its weight is hidden in that depth. It will face up smaller than other ovals with better dimensions.

I1 means you can see something with the naked eye. It might be a black or brown speck, or a white feather, or a cloud, or natural, or... What may seem okay at first may get on your nerves big time with time.

You need to talk directly with the seller to give you a narrative on what it looks like (bowtie? What type of inclusion/s?)

I would personally go for a better color and better clarity and down in size to get that. I hope others here can chime in with examples... They may need your budget range to help...

You can always upgrade to a larger size at an anniversary down the road. Lots of folks do that.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 6:55:49 PM
Author:Roslindale

Is this a good deal?

1.52ct. Oval Diamond
Carat Weight: 1.52
Color: J Clarity: I1
Depth%: 71.1
Table %: 59
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Good Girdle:
Medium / Very Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.2x6.1x4.34

Price $1,856.25

I'm looking for an inexpensive diamond that is eye clean has good sparkle & brilliance and some size. I saw this and thought it might fit the bill but I need some good opinions. I'm hoping some of you can figure out how this stone might perform in terms of fire & brilliance and is it a good deal for the price.
The price alone is a huge flag for me, who is selling the diamond? Does it have a GIA lab report or any other lab report?

Roslindale

Rough_Rock
Saw it on line at Abazias it comes with a EGL cert

Roslindale

Rough_Rock
The diamond is from an online vendor, Abazias, I only have the measurements in the listing to work off. The diamond isn''t for an engagement ring I''m already ready married and bought my wife a nice 1 ct with much better cut, color, clarity symmetry, polish. This is an I love you honey gift that I figure she can make it into a 3 stone ring or pendant.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You honestly can''t tell from the stats. Ovals can suffer from a bowtie effect that can be detrimental. You need to see (at the very least) a photo.

The price is extremely cheap - which raises flags.

There are very good I1 clarity diamonds and then there are awful ones it really depends on the type and placement of inclusion - again you need to see the diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, you get what you pay for...I would touch a 1.5 ct. I1 stone at $1800.

Roslindale

Rough_Rock
I found "justjulia" comments concerning how this diamond seems deep for it''s table and a lot of its weight being hidden in the depth resulting in the face up appearing smaller than other ovals with better dimensions to be very helpful. I found a second stone that is on the cheap side with an IGI cert. This one is a round 1.30 ct, i1, M color, excellent cut, very good polish, very good symmetry. The measurements are 6.91x 6.95 x 4.37 with a medium to sl. Thick (fac) girdle, medium culet, no fluorescent. The total depth 63.1%, table 56%, crown 16%, pavilion 43.5%. I’ll post this as a separate topic but I’m interested in your thoughts about this diamond. I like to know if you think this one suffers from the same problem of appearing smaller.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2009 7:14:11 PM
Author: Roslindale
I found ''justjulia'' comments concerning how this diamond seems deep for it''s table and a lot of its weight being hidden in the depth resulting in the face up appearing smaller than other ovals with better dimensions to be very helpful. I found a second stone that is on the cheap side with an IGI cert. This one is a round 1.30 ct, i1, M color, excellent cut, very good polish, very good symmetry. The measurements are 6.91x 6.95 x 4.37 with a medium to sl. Thick (fac) girdle, medium culet, no fluorescent. The total depth 63.1%, table 56%, crown 16%, pavilion 43.5%. I’ll post this as a separate topic but I’m interested in your thoughts about this diamond. I like to know if you think this one suffers from the same problem of appearing smaller.
I just wanted to mention that depth doesn''t always relate to spread or face up size in the same way as rounds with fancy shapes. Depth can be hidden in other ways, so the depth% doesn''t tell the whole story.

Having said that we can''t tell much by numbers, at a minimum detailed photos are essential and ASET images highly desirable. Also to warn you an oval of this size in an M colour will very likely show some tint and again it might not be eyeclean.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results