shape
carat
color
clarity

is this a good cut diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

om5200

Rough_Rock
I found this 0.74ct , D, VVS2 round diamond. It is priced at $5100. The GIA parameters are :-
depth 61.1%
table 56%

However, there is AGS reading at:-
depth 61.3%
crown angle 34.1 or 15%
pavillion angle 40.9 or 43%
table of 55%
culet 0.7%
girdle 1.0 thin - 1.9 sl. thick or 1.5%

Questions:-
why GIA depth and table % are different from AGS readings for the same diamond?

Is this a good cut diamond and worth the asking price?

I got negative feedback on the cut of this diamond from Belgium counterparts, with the comment on the crown angle as 'positively ridiculous'. Can someone explain?

VampireX02

Rough_Rock
I'm just another consumer, and by no means an expert, but my stone scores a 1.6 (excellent) on the Holloway Cut Advisor, and it's beautiful. The stone you listed...even with the differences in the AGS/GIA measurements comes up as a 1 (excellent)...the lower the number, the better. You should have a gorgeous diamond there!

VampireX02

Rough_Rock
BTW...if you want to run the Holloway Cut Advisor yourself, go to the top menu on this page and click "cut adviser". It's really cool.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
This diamond appears to be well-cut.

Is the person who gave negative feedback trying to sell you his/her own diamond instead?

The price looks a bit high to me as compared to internet prices. Are you buying in a brick and mortar store?

The difference in measurements is probably due to the following: I am guessing from your post that the diamond has a grading report from GIA, but that the dealer ran the diamond's measurements on a Sarin machine and printed out a report noting that the stone's cut parameters fit the AGS 0 cut grade. Is this the case?

om5200

Rough_Rock
Yes, I used the cut advisor. I was confused by the comment made by the guys in Europe.

om5200

Rough_Rock
Yes. You are correct.

What is the price range for this stone on the internet?

The guys europe was trying to sell me some of theirs. They mentioned HRD lab. The HRD website was not that helpful.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
You can click on "pricescope" in the menu bar above and enter parameters similar to the stone you are looking at. I saw prices from the $3-4,000 range. Look only at GIA or AGS certs.

Good Luck :)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I think AGS readings is not AGS grading report but Sarin measurements in AGS format. Since GIA doesn't report crown and pavilion angles this is quite normal practice.

GIA there can be some differences between two reports because of the measurements errors.

For example, Total Depth % can be different because of the accuracy of absolute diameter and depth measurements. Table size is rounded, hence the difference: 55.6% to 56% or 55.4% to 55%.

I don't know what is ridiculous in 34.1 deg crown angle... :-o It sounds perfectly fine to me.

As always, get it checked with independent appraiser to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results