carat
color
clarity

Is this a good choice?

Dan7373

Rough_Rock

Dan7373

Rough_Rock
Oh and if I need to add any additional information let me know.

Budget is around $1500-2000 for the diamond. Ideally around .75 and "I" color or better.

Hope that is useful for you experts!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can run stones through the HCA tool to help eliminate bad performers. Look for stones that score 2 or under.

Did you get an idealscope image on this stone? It's got a high crown angle. An idealscope image would tell if it's leaking any light.
Try requesting from JA...see if they can get you one.

Edit... Some other choices if you want to request your 3 idealscopes at once (which is usually what they like).

Here is an AGS000. You would need to make sure it is eye-clean.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.70-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-550890
A tad over budget
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.70-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-627866

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What setting did you pick? (just curious)

Dan7373

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response!

The setting is the 1.5mm comfort fit solitaire in white gold. My gf really likes the thinner bands.

The hca tool says vg. So buy if the price is right.

I feel this is a very good price...if the feather doesn't look bad.

If I go down to even 10x magnification I struggle to see it.

What our your experiences with feathers?

EDIT to answer all your questions.

I did not get an idealscope image but I can request it.

I have already changed or canceled 4 previous orders. So I just want to feel confident in my final choice.

Also the stones you suggested are around 20-30% more in cost. They are in my budget but that is money that could be put towards the open bar at the wedding :)

So details on why they might be worth the extra $$$ even though they are smaller would help me in my final decision as well.

Thanks!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dan7373|1442329495|3928009 said:
Thanks for the response!

The setting is the 1.5mm comfort fit solitaire in white gold. My gf really likes the thinner bands.

The hca tool says vg. So buy if the price is right.

I feel this is a very good price...if the feather doesn't look bad.

If I go down to even 10x magnification I struggle to see it.

What our your experiences with feathers?
As a member of the trade I cannot recommend or criticize other vendors stones. But I can make comments specific to your question about feathers. They are separations in the crystal lattice and usually reach the surface. In certain cases they can represent elevated durability risk. Usually this is a concern only in the lower clarity grades where feather is the primary grade setter, particularly in the imperfect range or where a feather is present near a point. This is usually not a problem in the Si and above range, but where feathers come to the surface at the girdle there is potential for damage in setting as pressure has to be applied to secure the prongs.

This stone appears to have several feathers around the perimeter. This is generally preferable to one large feather in an Si2, both visually and probably structurally. The central portion of the stone looks very clean.

As long as the stone meets your visual approval when you receive it, and as long as you have an independent expert look at it for any durability issues, you should be fine.

Dan7373

Rough_Rock
As a member of the trade I cannot recommend or criticize other vendors stones. But I can make comments specific to your question about feathers. They are separations in the crystal lattice and usually reach the surface. In certain cases they can represent elevated durability risk. Usually this is a concern only in the lower clarity grades where feather is the primary grade setter, particularly in the imperfect range or where a feather is present near a point. This is usually not a problem in the Si and above range, but where feathers come to the surface at the girdle there is potential for damage in setting as pressure has to be applied to secure the prongs.

This stone appears to have several feathers around the perimeter. This is generally preferable to one large feather in an Si2, both visually and probably structurally. The central portion of the stone looks very clean.

As long as the stone meets your visual approval when you receive it, and as long as you have an independent expert look at it for any durability issues, you should be fine.

Thank you! Extremely helpful information!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results