shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Agent

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, I need some advice. Is this a good buy?

.94 G SI2 round brilliant
6.25x6.21x3.82
proportions: very good
finish: very good
depth: 61.3
table: 59
Crown height: 15%
Pavilion depth: 42%
medium faceted
no flour.
HCA= 1.3 (based on EGL #s)

$2200.00

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Agent! Welcome to the Forum!

First, of all, did you use angles or %'s to crunch the HCA. If you used %'s then the score is way off. My diamond scores 0.6 using %'s but the real score is 1.2 using angles. The Cut Adviser is much more accurate using angles. If you used %'s, the actual score is probably over 2.

Second, from the info you gave the cut looks like a Class 2A based on the pavillion depth. (I'm hedging on the conservative side.) Price Scope vendors are asking $3084 for similar carat weight, color, and clarity diamonds. You know what they say about price (if my cut assessment is correct). If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Which brings us to,... Third, it's an EGL Cert. Is it EGL USA, preferably LA? EGL is not known for consistent, strict grading standards. There are accurately graded EGL diamonds out there, but not many when compared to AGS or GIA. Especially with this being an SI2. It could be a "cluttered", cloudy SI2 or an I1 with a hideous, obvious inclusion. The G color could actually be H or even as low as I.

You would definitely want a professional evaluation of this diamond before proceeding with a purchase.
1.gif

Agent

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply pq,

I used %'s to determine the HCA. Is there any way to determine degrees from the EGL certificate? The diagram on the certificate looks really clean for an SI2. I certainly will have an independent look at it. Any other comments from the experts are welcome (and wanted).

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Agent~

Contact the vendor selling the diamond and as for the Sarin Report results. Sarin measures the angles of the crown, pavillion, and upper and lower facets. Once you have the angles for crown and pavillion, you can rerun the HCA.

If the vendor does not have a Sarin and asks you to pay for it, don't. The Sarin analysis costs about $10 plus shipping costs if the vendor does not have access to a lab/appraiser locally. Reputable vendors have this information available or will have the analysis done for you.

If you are seriously interested in the diamond, check return policy and inspection grace period. Ask to have the diamond shipped to one of the Price Scope approved appraisers prior to payment. Or, make purchase contingent on an approved INDEPENDENT appraisal. Always use a free standing appraiser. Not a gemology grad that sells jewelry. You can get into a conflict of interest with a jeweler who sells diamonds appraising one you bought elsewhere.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results