shape
carat
color
clarity

Is This a Good BUY???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PoppingTheQuestion

Rough_Rock
Hi, I just bought a diamond recently and was wondering if I got my money's worth. Here is the information:

Cut Grade- AGS Ideal 0
Color- AGS 1.0 (F)
Clarity- AGS 2 (VVS2)
Carat Weight- .731

Table- 56%
Crown- 34.4 angle
Pavilion- 40.9 angle
Total depth- 61.6%
Faceted 1.0%-1.9%
Pointed

Polish, Symmetry, and Proportions are all ideal.
This information is coming off an AGS cert.

I paid 4150 for the diamond before tax. Steal or scam?
Thank you for your input and I really appreciate it.
I was a bit dubious after purchasing because I noticed that there is no return policy at the store, just a lifetime warranty.

By the way, this is a round brilliant diamond with the following measurements: 5.77-5.81x3.57 mm.
Im planning on popping the question later this week so wish me luck!!!:loopy:

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Popping...

The specs look fine for an ideal cut,
but my concern is the return policy???

Did the dealer not even give you
atleast 3 days to return if your not satisfied?
Please confirm this!

As for the price, I think its a little high
but some consumers don't mind paying
extra if they like what their getting.

For complete assurance you may want to get
this diamond evaluated by an independent appraiser.

Buy Informed!

Kirk

PoppingTheQuestion

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input.

No- I haven't really talked about the return policy with the salesperson since I haven't picked up the diamond yet but I paid for it with a credit card over the phone since I'm in a bit of a rush.

For the price, I had believed that it was an okay price since we cut it down from 4750, and we cut the platinum band price from 1200 to 700. The diamond does look nice and there are no inclusions on the table so I was happy with that.

I didn't do too much research and I just started shopping for this like 3 days ago but I did visit about 7 stores and this was the best color/clarity I could find at this price. Man... now i'm wondering......
:confused:

PoppingTheQuestion

Rough_Rock
Anyone else have any perspective on this or added information on my purchase?

hbright

Rough_Rock
The cut numbers looks excellent. The price is high for most online dealers but not that bad for an AGS ideal from a B&M. The platinum band sounds rather pricey at $700 if it isn't a semi-mount of some sort. The return policy sucks. NOt even an exchange policy?

VVS2 is overkill IMHO unless you demand the best. VS1-VS2 stones are surely eye clean and SI1-SI2 stones are often eye clean.

Besides the possibility of the over priced platinum setting, you definitely got a rare high quality stone at a good price.

If I were you, I'd get an idealscope to check out it's light leakage and/or internal symmetry. You probably won't be able to identify a VS2 with a 10X loupe though. This is another reason, IMHO, to get VS1-VS2 which can be identified at home by persistant folks. I'm no trained "gemologist", but after some intense eye straining, I was able to positively match a VS1 to the cert. This is somewhat more satisfying than going to an appraiser. I'd only go to an appraiser for insurance purposes of very costly stones or if there was some suspicion of cert or diamond. For me, part of the joy of diamonds is examining it myself.

PoppingTheQuestion

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your feedback. This is a brick and mortar sale since I wanted to visualize the sale instead of just purchasing online. I guess I have to pay the price for that.

When you were talking about the platinum band, what do you mean by a semi-mount?

sbrown

Rough_Rock
well those vatche rings most certainly are pretty expensive, but they sure are beautiful. Worth it? You pay for name brand, always, beautiful ? Yes.

PoppingTheQuestion

Rough_Rock
I picked up my ring today and it truly looked beautiful.

As for the return policy, I asked the salesperson on their policy and I guess I do have a 7day window to return the ring. He was a bit worried on me returning the ring (since he'll lose his commission!).

Again- what do you mean by a semi-mount on the platinum band?

orzo

Rough_Rock
A semi-mount is the band with diamonds on it- like has baguettes or smaller rounds on the side. Hope that helps.:))

hbright

Rough_Rock
Please post a pic!

I think posting pics would be a good way to gauge the quality of diamonds people are buying. Of course, it's a bit tricky to capture symmetry and leakge patterns and the look of a diamond may look vastly different from a bad photo or evenly an overly good photo. It's fun nonetheless!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results