shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good buy (singapore)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wind30

Rough_Rock
I just bought a diamond for my engagement ring.

I bought it from some small jeweller near bugisor something like that. My GF says her family has bought from this shop for like donkey years so it should be safe. I HOPE so cuz the diamond comes without any cert.

The jeweller claims:
color: G-F
clarity: VVS2
carat: 0.78

I paid S$4300 for it. Dunno what cut it is but it looks bright... hey but what do I know. I looked at it through a scope and it looks completely clear... So it is a good buy? My GF seems very happy with it that is why I bought it but I still don't feel very safe

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Wind,

You have the option of having your
diamond sent to an independent appraiser
to get it checked out. Here on pricescope
there are a few highly reccomended appraisers like
the Rock Doc, or Dave Atlas.

Both these gents are reknown for what they do,
and are very repected in the industry.

www.consumersgemlab.com (Rock Doc)
or
www.gemappraisers.com (Dave Atlas)

Buy Informed!

Kirk

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Wind, it's tough to tell with the information supplied. If the diamond is well cut and the grading is correct, the price sounds reasonable.

Kirk's right though. The only way to know for sure is to have it checked out by an independent appraiser.

Congratulations on your engagement.

Rich, Independent GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

yeewl

Shiny_Rock
Just curious ... what is the name of the shop if you don't mind sharing...:twirl:

geo10000

Rough_Rock
Hello, I too have to jump on the "appraisal" band wagon here. There are so many variables that can make a great buy a bad buy. Remember to have a diamond looked at in the beginning rather than later so that you have some recourse should the stone not be what is stated. I recommend an independant appraiser who is not influenced by selling their own diamonds. This keeps it "real". I'm sure this seller has good intentions but mistakes can be make and it is easy for sellers to develop tunnel vision over time with the grading of their diamonds to where they develop deviations of what the stone really is.
You did not mention cut...it can change the value of a diamond as much as 40% in extreme cases. The difference between F to G is a factor as well. Is it truly a VVS-2?
Bottom line...have it appraised by an independant and qualified appraiser!
Good Luck.

George

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results