shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a fish-eye or dirt?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Hi
35.gif

I''ve had my lovely bezel-set e-ring for over a year now, and I''ve noticed a haze or darkness in it. I was able to take some pictures of it this morning. Is this the much dreaded fish-eye, or dirt? I clean my ring almost daily with a soft brush but I don''t have an U/S. If it is dirt caught under the bezel, would a professional cleaning or US take care of that? Pics to follow...

Thanks!
Image 1: see the hazy corona at the bottom left edge of the table?

ringcrud1.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
And now on the left

ringcrud2.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Bottom left

ringcrud3.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Bottom

ringcrud4.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like dirt to me, but I''m no expert.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a combination of fish eye effect and the leakage that is present in every diamond when viewed from that angle.

The diamond is only a fish eye if you can see thiseffect from straight on.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting thread, I''d like to see others chime in.

This is actually something I have wondered myself. There are times, at certain angles, that I see that in my diamond, too. It''s an AGS-0 diamond with ideal proportions, so I know it''s not a fish eye.

Do the rest of you guys see it sometimes in your stones, too?

Is it a phenomenon only in RBs?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/1/2007 11:27:06 PM
Author: Lynn B
Very interesting thread, I''d like to see others chime in.

This is actually something I have wondered myself. There are times, at certain angles, that I see that in my diamond, too. It''s an AGS-0 diamond with ideal proportions, so I know it''s not a fish eye.

Do the rest of you guys see it sometimes in your stones, too?

Is it a phenomenon only in RBs?
No..., every Diamond if looked at it''s face-up at a certain angle...., you get a wider visual range through the table onto the pavilion...
Something to do with the critical angle...

Thats why I think Garry mentions many times he prefers shallow vs. deep (correct me if I am wrong Garry...)

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input.

So what I'm seeing so common to all/most diamonds? That's reassuring. I thought it might be a reflection of the girdle, but you're saying it's the pavilion, is there a simple way to explain that?

If a contributing factor is dirt, how can I clean between the bezel and the stone? It looks better when it's not blown up 100x, but I can see it, especially now that I know where to look.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use an ultrasonic cleaner and it works wonders on my bezel set 5 stone ring. Are your side stones able to go in an US? I can''t tell from the pic. I only use it once a week on my rings.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 12:37:19 PM
Author: lyra
I use an ultrasonic cleaner and it works wonders on my bezel set 5 stone ring. Are your side stones able to go in an US? I can''t tell from the pic. I only use it once a week on my rings.

My sidestones are bead set, so they might be ok in the US now and again, but I doubt it''s a good idea for everyday; that''s why I''ve procrastinated in getting one. The entire pavillion of my stone is exposed, so my concern is that the gunk is caught between the setting and the stone. I have access to an industrial sonicator, but I''m afraid it would destroy the whole ring! Perhaps I''ll christmas list an US this year and see if that helps.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the girdle faceted? I notice an appearance similar to that in my late MIL''s diamond, and that girdle is not faceted...that is what I figured that it was.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it has anything to do with the girdle, really. ???
33.gif
Nor really with how clean (or dirty) the stone is. Just my humble non-expert opinion, though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results