shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a fair price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
Hi. I've found this ring & was wondering what you all think of it.

The center stone is a diamond with a GIA Certification-
Shape/Cut- Round Brilliant
Weight: 1.02 carat
6.36-6.44 X 3.98
Clarity: VS2
Color: H
Depth %: 62.2%
Table %: 59%
Polish-very good
symmetry-good
Fluorescence-none
Comments-Clouds are not shown. (What does this mean?)

The diamond is set in a platinum band & a matching band is included. In these bands there are a total weight of .98 carat Princess Cuts, VS in clarity, G-H in color. The price for this ring is just under $6000. Do you think it sounds like a good deal?? Thanks much!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Leanne,

Well... a platinum ring with 1ct in VS, G-H quality side stones and you're talking about a setting that probably runs (if the seller is being honest about the quality of the side stones) AT LEAST $1500 if not over 2k. If it's less then question the integrity of either the ring or the jeweler or both.

If it is then you're talking about a 1.02ct H VS2 that you're paying in the mid 4k range for and with a 1.02ct H VS2 listing at a touch over 6k, that's more than 20% off list. Diamonds that sell for that cheap off list from my experience = kaka. Type of stones we pass up regularly and are a dime a dozen. I'm willing to bet the stone has poor crown/pavilion combo and/or messy symmetry, which in the end = you're getting what you're paying for. If you've seen and compared and you are happy with the cut quality you are being offered then yes it is fair. If you have not made the comparisons of the finer cuts (which contribute more than anything to the beauty of the diamond) then even if you got the whole ring for 5k, then you've just spent 5 or 6k on something you wish you hadn't gotten and what seems like a great deal was no deal at all. Your happiness with what you purchase is most important.

I say this because we get many emails from people who've spent many thousands of their hard earned money only to say they wish they had seen what the better cut diamonds looked like but never had.

Sorry if this is not the answer you wanted to hear but it's my honest opinion based on over 2 decades of experience.

Peace,
Rhino

wndrful

Rough_Rock
Search diamondscope for ideal cut diamonds and see dias of diamonds for various weights. You will see that your 1 carat diamond has a dia of 0.9 or so carat ideal cut diamond,which means that you are getting a 1 carat diamond that looks more like 0.9 carat ideal diamond. : (

But then you are getting it for a price of 0.9 carat ideal cut diamond as well! So it is a fair deal. Although your 1 carat being not well cut will not have light performance of a well cut 0.9 carat diamond.

Always look out for dia consideration in mind (alongwith %s) when looking at GIA certs.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Sorry if this is not the answer you wanted to hear but it's my honest opinion based on over 2 decades of experience.
-----------

Ouch! Reminds me of that proverb "The wounds of a friend are more to be trusted than the kisses of an enemy"...

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the help. I appreciate the honesty on this site. That's what I want to hear!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results