shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a fair price for this engagement ring? Newbie/lost!

TampaTampa

Rough_Rock
When I first started searching, I realized so many rings looked very different and it seemed hard to compare price from one ring to another except comparing the sheer size and properties of the diamond.

I was given a sheet with the properties of the ring and appraisal value- am I a fool for not taking it to my own appraiser?

With the properties listed below (plus a video link), can someone tell me if $4000 is a fair price for this diamond ring? I initially was going to purchase a simple solitaire with 1 carat no diamonds on band...at same price as this one from somewhere else. Where does this ring fall short?

Total Weight 2.3cts
14k white gold

Center Diamond:
Round Brilliant
5.94" x 5.92" x 4.18"
1 ct
70.4% depth
57.3 table
Girdle Extremely Thick
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: SI2
Color: G

Melee:
198 Total
1.3 Total Weight
Clarity: SI1-SI2
Color: G-H

Video: https://www.youtube.com/embed/kAOZLBKQNdA?list=PL9LOKyxV5C4pBKiYSXyls89AZ5DGIUE7R

Glad I found this forum before making the purchase, thanks for any help/advice/opinions!

craiguk

Rough_Rock
Re: Is this a fair price for this engagement ring? Newbie/lo

It may say 1ct but it won't face up like 1ct as its 70% depth and only 5.92mm across. I haven't seen a depth % so high before and it sounds a bit odd.

Normally I think a 1ct with an optimum depth is around 6.5mm diameter. Sorry I can't really comment on the value aspect of the ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you within a return period?

If not, this may not be a productive exercise.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It faces up the size of an ideal cut 0.8ct stone. It's super deep, the girdle is too thick, and there is a huge inclusion right in the middle of the table in the video.

Do not buy.

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock

No do not buy!

TampaTampa

Rough_Rock

ecf8503|1442428581|3928502 said:
It faces up the size of an ideal cut 0.8ct stone. It's super deep, the girdle is too thick, and there is a huge inclusion right in the middle of the table in the video.

Do not buy.

Can you explain these points a bit more for someone not as experienced in this industry? Especially the comment about girdle and can you point out the inclusion?

You seem pretty confident in your reply, which I do appreciate. That is unfortunate, as I really do like the ring from a normal guy off the street's opinion!

Lastly, when you say "do not buy" (as others have I see) is that in reference to it being worthless because of it's properties for future value...or is that also interpreted as "maybe buy, but not at that price"?

For example, I wouldn't buy a Lamborghini for $450k with major electrical issues but I might pay $100k for it if I know a great car electrician. Or does that example not equate in terms of diamond purchases?

Thanks again!

TampaTampa

Rough_Rock

Niel|1442427752|3928495 said:
Are you within a return period?

If not, this may not be a productive exercise.

I have a deposit on it currently.

Should I use the information to haggle on final price or is that looked down upon in the diamond industry? I work in sales and negotiate all day long, but in some industries it doesn't happen as I understand.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TampaTampa|1442430354|3928522 said:
ecf8503|1442428581|3928502 said:

Do not buy.

Can you explain these points a bit more for someone not as experienced in this industry? Especially the comment about girdle and can you point out the inclusion?

You seem pretty confident in your reply, which I do appreciate. That is unfortunate, as I really do like the ring from a normal guy off the street's opinion!

Lastly, when you say "do not buy" (as others have I see) is that in reference to it being worthless because of it's properties for future value...or is that also interpreted as "maybe buy, but not at that price"?

For example, I wouldn't buy a Lamborghini for $450k with major electrical issues but I might pay $100k for it if I know a great car electrician. Or does that example not equate in terms of diamond purchases?

Thanks again!

What they mean is you are paying for a poorly cut diamond with a visable spot on it
You're paying to hit the " one carat mark" for a diamond that looks like a .75-.8ct mark.

And the point of a diamond is to sparkle. If it doesn't sparkle, why pay extra for the privilege?

Do you want us to see what we could find you similar in your budget, to show that overpaying doesn't mean "oh well I don't know much about diamonds so oh well"

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

With the spotlighting they used in that video, a well cut diamond will blind your eyes. Take this diamond away from the fancy lights and it will look dull and dead. A well cut diamond will still sparkle without special spotlights.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

No it is not a fair price. The video showed why and others here have as well.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

To use your car analogy, you are paying for a Toyota Camry but you are getting a Ford Pinto. So basically you are overpaying and not only that, you are over paying for a poor quality diamond.

Within your budget, you may want to hit that 1 carat mark, and while you certainly can do that with a not so great cut diamond or one that has a large inclusion, we can assure you it will A) not look like a 1 carat diamond (and what't the point of hitting the 1 carat mark if it looks smaller than that, and B) it will not sparkle and shine the way a better cut diamond will and that may prove disappointing over time.

I think if you were to see this diamond next to a well cut diamond you'd be very happy to have not spent money on the poorly cut one.

craiguk

Rough_Rock

To be honest I think your best bet is to go back to your solitaire starting point rather than get sucked in by the 2ctwt bling ring. You'll get a far shinier and better cut stone for your budget this way.

Also bearing in mind that this stone faces up as a 0.8ct as said above have a look at some 0.8ct ideal cut stones.

If you use the search option here you'll get an idea of what you could get from one of the many PS recommended vendors.

TampaTampa

Rough_Rock

craiguk|1442434868|3928563 said:
To be honest I think your best bet is to go back to your solitaire starting point rather than get sucked in by the 2ctwt bling ring. You'll get a far shinier and better cut stone for your budget this way.

Also bearing in mind that this stone faces up as a 0.8ct as said above have a look at some 0.8ct ideal cut stones.

If you use the search option here you'll get an idea of what you could get from one of the many PS recommended vendors.

Thanks. The reason I went away from the single solitaire is because I found out she wants something that looks antique...not traditional. This ring looks very similar to some of the images she had saved to her Pinterest account I browsed through.

I certainly wasn't attracted to this ring for the bling and I don't think that is what she is going for (hell, she'd flip out if she knew I was spending this kind of money on her ring)...but it does have that antique feel to it, so I was drawn to it. It was better than visiting a ton of estate sales haggling with old ladies.

I'll take a look around here.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, does she like vintage??

Awesome. Can you post a few of the photos from her instagram?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just like to point out that that setting could be a future nightmare. I'm just saying at $4k for that ring with all that pave well, I
think you are asking for trouble. You would be much better off with a setting that had just 1 sided melee on the shank
and a halo.

Something like these ...these even have a lot of stones but only 1 sided pave on the shank
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-falling-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49492
or
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-octagonal-double-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53067

with a stone that is well cut like these...
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.71-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-550476 AGS000 stone
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.77-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-627858
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.81-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-584755 Ask if this is eye-clean
It is an AGS000 stone with ideal light return.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks like James Allen just put out some new settings...well, new to me at least.

Here are some nice ones from their vintage collection that sort of fall in your price range.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/vintage/14k-white-gold-art-deco-inspired-octagonal-halo-engagement-ring-item-53063
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-pave-cross-over-engagement-ring-item-52602
Edit - I went back and looked up a made up one of the last setting and I'm not so sure I like it. It's a little too square for me and
I dont like the airline. I do like the first one though. Wish they had one made up of it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm excited to see the inspiration photos!

If she's got too many to share, try to get a general "feel" for the rings she posted

Metal color? Yellow, rose, white, a mix?
Are the mostly halos, solitiare, three stones?
Are the set with prongs, or bezels?
Do the incorporate color at all? Ruby halos? Blue sapphire sides?
Do they have lots of detail work in the settings ?
Are they all round or does she like other shapes too?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TampaTampa|1442425867|3928486 said:
Where does this ring fall short?

Center Diamond:
Round Brilliant
5.94" x 5.92" x 4.18"
1 ct
70.4% depth
57.3 table
Girdle Extremely Thick
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: SI2
Color: G

Glad I found this forum before making the purchase, thanks for any help/advice/opinions!
Flush this one down the toilet!..This stone is horrible! 70.4% depth???... :-o :knockout: :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results