shape
carat
color
clarity

Is This a Dangerous Cavity?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Defender

Shiny_Rock
Here is a GIA plot map on a, SI2 Cushion stone that is described as almost eyeclean, but it has what looks to be a major cavity along one edge near the corner.

This looks a bit ugly on the inclusion plot, but I wonder whether this might just be a small crater that could end up under a prong. Is this the type of cavity that most experts would advise a buyer to avoid??

I know that the GIA plot map is a bare minimum of info, but I wonder if this looks like trouble from the get-go.....

1149551214190_GIA13772800_zoom__cavit.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hard to say on the plot, usually cavities are not dangerous since they passed the cutting process!!! Which is dangerous and if something would have happened, it would have probably happened allready.

But sometimes damage occurs to even clean diamonds, and there are no explanations to it...

According to the position of the cavity..., it will not get covered by a prong, especialy since its on the pavilion side...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The cavity, as it is drawn, is not a "major" one. It is much more a minor one. It probably is not the thing that is eye visible. There are inclusions under the table that are more likely to be seen by close observation.

The cavity will run next to most prongs and not actually be covered by one unless the prong is very wide or split into 2 or 3 wires which are spread out a bit to purposely cover certain marks.

You are going to need to see this stone to know what YOU can see and how it actually looks overall.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results