shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a crack in an opal ring?

Bling_banned

Rough_Rock
HI everyone. I'm contemplating purchasing this beautiful opal ring but I'm wonder if these are cracks. Will they be a problem? Thank you so much.

1604884771790.png

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I'd really have to see more pictures at different angles.

Looks like there could be some slight crazing (cracks), but not of real concern. Many Opals have this, but they are not surface reaching. Does not mean they will become worse, especially after being set, but at the same time bares some watching.

If they become worse, you need to speak with whom you bought it from. Maybe even now for your peace of mind.

Bling_banned

Rough_Rock
I'd really have to see more pictures at different angles.

Looks like there could be some slight crazing (cracks), but not of real concern. Many Opals have this, but they are not surface reaching. Does not mean they will become worse, especially after being set, but at the same time bares some watching.

If they become worse, you need to speak with whom you bought it from. Maybe even now for your peace of mind.

1604900136340.png

1604900150535.png

1604900166371.png 1604900185082.png

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I really don't see anything in these new pictures. I thought I might see a couple on the side of the stone in the first picture. One a little over half way up and the other near the top prong, If that is what your speaking of? But as I said, I don't think it really is anything to be concerned about.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s hard to tell from a photo but yes, Opals are inclined to craze and sometimes they have “stone lines” like Jade does ie an area within the opal that is lacking colour play.
You really need to examine the surfaces with a loupe to see if they are surface reaching and also a 3D look to see if any lines run from top to side to underneath.
The biggest issue with that opal in my opinion is the high setting and the expanse of exposed girdle. Opals do not like being “bumped” and if indeed any lines are area of weakness it could end badly. In any regard, an opal ring should be considered only an occasional wear ring.
And it comes down to price as to whether or not it’s a good buy.
Personally I think the setting is a risk to the opal, the opal isn’t a great example and with quite a bit of crazing / lines, I’d be inclined to pass unless it was a bargain buy.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you check with the seller if this is a doublet? There is a faint line running around the side edge (in the first picture) about a 1/3rd the way up the opal. It could be a trick of the light but doublets are much less costly than a natural opal so it's worth checking. I can't see it in any other photos so I'm assuming a trick of light but it's worth asking the question.

I honestly don't think what you're seeing are cracks though because there's nothing that jumps out in the other photos. If the seller has a returns policy - ask the question, if they say there aren't any cracks and you get it and there are then send it back. Opals, if not worn, can crack because they need the moisture from oils in our hands. I don't wear my opals often but when I do I rub my fingers over them - no idea if it helps but it makes me feel better! :lol:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Looks like craze lines to me. Maybe look some more? Personally I prefer an opal with stronger colors. This one looks a bit pale... could be better irl of course but unless price is super then personally I wouldn’t want to take the risk of buying an opal with lines.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Can you check with the seller if this is a doublet? There is a faint line running around the side edge (in the first picture) about a 1/3rd the way up the opal. It could be a trick of the light but doublets are much less costly than a natural opal so it's worth checking. I can't see it in any other photos so I'm assuming a trick of light but it's worth asking the question.

I honestly don't think what you're seeing are cracks though because there's nothing that jumps out in the other photos. If the seller has a returns policy - ask the question, if they say there aren't any cracks and you get it and there are then send it back. Opals, if not worn, can crack because they need the moisture from oils in our hands. I don't wear my opals often but when I do I rub my fingers over them - no idea if it helps but it makes me feel better! :lol:

This is true of Aussie Opal, which this Opal is Aussie.

But a warning to Welo Opal owners!

Not true of Welo Opal.

The less you touch Welo Opal with your fingers, the better, as it is hydrophane & absorbs moisture, oils (body oils) & lotion that could diminish the beauty of the stone if done constantly. Do not worry about the occasional touch. But to rub Welo Opal constantly to try to moisturize it SHOULD NOT be done. The dryer your Welo Opal is, the better.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not a doublet, doublets are a thin piece of opal, too thin to be used alone, attached to a backing so it can be set as a gemstone. The thickness of opal is invariably less than 2 mm.
A triplet is also a thin piece of opal, even thinner than used for doublets though, that is turned into a useable gem by adding a backing AND a clear (crystal, glass,plastic) dome on the top.
When buying Opals what you are paying for is Colour.
The more colours and the more vivid the higher the price.
This opal is a white opal, the lowest price variety. This opal seems to only have a blue and green colour play when looked at “top down” ie how you “see” the opal when wearing it. The colours aren’t particularly vivid and there is a lot of area than isnt showing colour. In low light the colour play might not really be visible.
So it’s not a great opal.
The opal in my ring is a very good example of both the a full colour range, good and broad coverage ie most the gem and even in low light it will display. The opal in the pendant (with diamonds) is a lower quality white opal. It only really shows green, blue purple and in “little bits” and in low light no colour displays.
C295F151-EFF2-4B09-B188-965B3CA62172.jpeg 8F9F1863-1C8F-47D0-B0BB-10C0D5B91E3B.jpeg

Bling_banned

Rough_Rock
Wow. Thank you everyone for your detailed analysis of this ring. To my untrained eye, I really like the setting of this ring and thought the opal was nice but I guess I have a lot to learn.
They are asking for $1700, is this a bad,fair,good price for this quality of opal? The ring is 18kt.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think too expensive honestly, if that’s your budget we could probably find a better opal - more vibrant! I’d say you’re mostly paying for the gold & diamonds in this ring.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my opinion, too much.
These are current eBay listings so you can see what $1,700 US can buy (I’m in Australia so that’s why my screenshots show $Aussie).
1. nice with over 1 carat diamonds, an Aussie business seller
2. This is a seller in Australia I’ve bought from, very competitive pricing - a nice opal for the $$$.
3. This one is in the US - nice hunk of opal.
9E97AC6E-B837-4FEC-B137-A9C6DD2CDF94.jpeg B2ABE122-25A8-4849-AE14-F1B56EF92A66.jpeg 2674557D-D084-4FC7-A196-A67C0E1C6F79.jpeg

Bling_banned

Rough_Rock
In my opinion, too much.
These are current eBay listings so you can see what $1,700 US can buy (I’m in Australia so that’s why my screenshots show $Aussie).
1. nice with over 1 carat diamonds, an Aussie business seller
2. This is a seller in Australia I’ve bought from, very competitive pricing - a nice opal for the $$$.
3. This one is in the US - nice hunk of opal.
9E97AC6E-B837-4FEC-B137-A9C6DD2CDF94.jpeg B2ABE122-25A8-4849-AE14-F1B56EF92A66.jpeg 2674557D-D084-4FC7-A196-A67C0E1C6F79.jpeg

I tried to find the first one you posted on eBay but unable to find it. Is it restricted to Aus only? I love either oval or pear shape.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results