shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this 3CT Alexandrite REAL???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aether

Rough_Rock
I recently acquired this antique ring. Everything looks to be hand-made, and the diamonds are all old cut. Even the 3CT stone looks to be old cut, and it is an "Alexandrite". I''ve never seen an Alexandrite with such colors, I have collected synthetic stones before but I''ve never seen anything like this and I have some reason to believe it is authentic.

Yes I am well aware of how rare a 3CT Alexandrite is... but based on synthetic stones and what I''ve seen I am having a hard time believing a ring this old can have a synthetic stone with this kind of color. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks :)

alexandrite1241531.jpg

aether

Rough_Rock
Here''s another pic...

alexandrite1351531.jpg

aether

Rough_Rock
Here''s another ring I have in my collection from the 1800s... It is synthetic, 45 Carat, notice the constant color purple to blue...

The first ring has me stumped.

alexandrite1451353.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... I think it would be unusual to see both the reddish and greenish colors at the same time in a real alexandrite. And I know synthetic alexandrites have been around for a long time. Have you louped the stone?

BTW I love the setting of that second ring!

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
imitation alexandrite has been around since the late 1800''s from what I''ve read, so it''s age isn''t an indication of authenticity. Take it to a gemologist for certainty. Reminds me of mystic topaz with that color play.

aether

Rough_Rock
Yes.

The only thing I can notice is a very thick girdle between the crown height and the pavilion depth. The stone appears to be hand finished and it is not a perfect cut. However, girdles can be cut according to any spec so that definitely cannot narrow out the possibility of authenticity.

Is there anything else I should be looking for?

alexandrite-1462436.jpg

aether

Rough_Rock
VRBeauty...

What do you think of this one? :)

I designed it based off the original mold...

gemring2352.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like a mystic topaz to me too.

cofor

Shiny_Rock
A possible doublet? Might be a garnet topped doublet. Check for the "seam" at the girdle or tiny bubbles between the pieces.

Conny

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 2:38:24 AM
Author: FrekeChild

Ditto-regardless of what it is, it''s LOVELY!! I really adore the setting.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 5:42:46 AM
Author: cofor
A possible doublet? Might be a garnet topped doublet. Check for the ''seam'' at the girdle or tiny bubbles between the pieces.

Conny
I was wondering about a GTD as well - especially with the thick girdle.

If you have a look through a loupe can you see anything in the way of inclusions in the stone? Also take a close look at the girdle and see if there is a line running through it.

Green glass with a red garnet top can give that green/red at the same time look.

Best bet is to take it to a gemmologist and get them to ID it for you.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock

That''s what the first pic looks like to me too. Looks coated.

The girdle does seem to have a rough edge on the pavillion side--so could be a doublet, but I''ve only seen doublets that have pure color from the face up view.

In any case, Lab.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 2:42:32 PM
Author: coatimundi

That''s what the first pic looks like to me too. Looks coated.

The girdle does seem to have a rough edge on the pavillion side--so could be a doublet, but I''ve only seen doublets that have pure color from the face up view.

In any case, Lab.
Ditto (or is this thritto)?

Alexandrites can display both green/red tones in various lighting conditions but then will nearly always shift either way in daylight/incandescent lighting.

I really don''t like saying this but based on the number of Alexandrites I''ve seen, it doesn''t appear to be "normal" in look. Sorry
8.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn''t look like an alexandrite to me as well, however, the girdle is rather fascinating. It certainly has a mystic topaz look at first glance but I doubt that''s it. Maybe a doublet would be my guess as well. There''s no way to be able to tell for sure unless you bring it to a professional.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
It looks coated. It''s quite possible that someone set a modern stone in an old mounting.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 2:07:01 AM
Author: aether
VRBeauty...

What do you think of this one? :)

I designed it based off the original mold...
Pretty cool!

Do you wear either of these rings very often? It looks like they both sit a lot taller than most rings!

Thanks for posting these!

BTW, looking at that last picture of the stone in question, it looks like it has more of the "molten liquid" texture of a manmade stone than a natural crystaline structure... at least that's how it looks to my admittedly very uneducated eyes!

aether

Rough_Rock
I don''t wear them at all :)

I''m a young jewelry designer (25 years old). I have an online store and I collect old pieces for inspiration.

Here''s another ring I made this week based off a very old crown ring from the 1700s. Just thought I''d share it.

crownradfas.jpg

FinewaterGems

Rough_Rock
Trade
That''s a really cool ring! What''s your website, if you don''t mind my asking?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results