shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this 2.2ct considered AGS1?

sonice

Rough_Rock
We purchased this stone a couple weeks ago and I'm curious if it's an AGS1? I'm not really sure how the numbering goes other than to know it's not AGS000.

Also curious what makes the cut fall into the Excellent 1 range?

Hopefully we did ok :)

AGS Report:
http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104072289003-PDQDFK.PDF

_2841.jpeg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it is AGS 1 (excellent) for cut, as indicated on the report.

The dimond has great proportions and is ray-traced. It is AGS 0 (ideal) in light performance with no deduction in the sub categories, which is actually remarkable. The final grade for overall cut is AGS 1 because of 2 deductions in polish. With 1 less deduction in polish, this would have been AGS 0 for cut. I still see beatiful arrow pattern, and whitelight return even in this not so well taken photo. I picture it is a beautiful diamond in person.

How do you like it? Do you see any negative effect from less than ideal polish?

sonice

Rough_Rock
Thank you for explaining that! I thought the only deduction for AGS1 was the polish, which I read wasn't a huge deal and could be a great buy given everything else was fine.

We love the stone and don't see any negative effects of the polish. The only thing we see in the diamond is some inclusions from the side if you're really looking, and they should be able to be hidden.

Wow, that is an iPhone photo so it's not great, but it's significantly worse once uploaded. Let me see if these are any better.

_2843.jpeg

_2844.jpeg

_2845.jpeg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen a few stones with AGS 0 in light performance, but with AGS 1 for overall cut, because of 2 level deduction in polish.
These are often available at a significant discount. I guess that's why you went for this particular stone.
J SI2 AGS1. That's a value combo. But nearly eye-clean, ideal proportions and AGS 0 light performance (NO DEDUCTION), and THAT SPREAD. :love: I like your strategy.

Here is another example that got dinged on polish
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.02-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-964125

As long as you are fully aware of how polish affects the overall appearance/light performance and what to look for, it could be a great deal.

Was this within your original budget of $10k?

sonice

Rough_Rock
You're making me love this stone even more!

I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that since the light performance was all ideal that the polish didn't negatively impact the diamonds performance. We purchased sort of quickly and didn't have a chance to post for opinions. Our initial concerns (based on maybe incorrect assumptions, woops!) were only with the J color and the SI2 clarity, which turned out to be nonissues after seeing the stone in person. :love:

I actually don't see any issues in regard to polish with the JA stone. Is there something staring me in the face that I'm missing there?

We actually purchased the diamond "preloved" for $9k! Which reminds me, it's currently insured for $9k - I'm wondering if we should increase that now or wait for the ring to come back and have it appraised before changing the insured amount.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
sonice, there isn't going to be visual difference between a stone graded excellent/ideal vs a stone graded very good, with the naked eye. I doubt most of us will be able to tell even with a loupe.

sonice

Rough_Rock
Thanks, CareBear! I was just reading about that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results