shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there such a thing as too much due diligence

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ponder this may just be the case. I really would prefer someone who will answer a question, even if that answer is, "sorry I cannot get that for you" or "sorry I won't get that for you because I think it's a mistake to ask for it."

Dee*Jay" and this is why I love #s. And this is why when someone questions something you can either give a vague response that really doesn't answer the question or you can address it clearly and head on. (although not everything is as easy to show as this).

I had run into this from my research (realtors saying that their commission increase is nominal by a buyer paying higher) but never saw it broken it down like this. Thank you.

And ponder yes it comes down to trust. The thing especially in the beginning one of the ways to build trust is to not be vague and answer things head on. For me at least. If I ask you something directly and you don't answer or it sounds like you're answering everything but what I asked it comes off as if you're trying to hide something.

Gypsy I am so going to use "that's really interesting information, because I was under the impression that X. Can you tell me why that's not true."

rainwood Yes I could see where first time home buyers are a special kind of PITA because they've never been through the process before so everything is new. And more scary.

And I totally understand/see how even if someone doesn't suit my style or likes the approach I've taken it doesn't necessarily mean they are not good at their jobs.

A good fit goes both ways. I get that.

I want to be clear that I have not yet asked a lot of questions of anybody. At all. Or gone back and had them reexplain anything. But I am asking these things because I know this can be my tendency and want to find a balance that is smart. This really was the purpose of my starting this thread.

I'm doing tons of research so I go INTO these conversations more informed without having to ask tons of basic questions like what points mean on a mortgage, etc., or what an "as is" purchase contract is. I am doing my part as much as I can to take on the burden of understanding. But I know there will be parts where I will get stuck - and I guess that's where I need to find someone who will have the patience to explain it to me if I don't get it right away.

My main reason for wanting to see the contracts - both from the realtor and the inspector - is to not have to scramble last minute reading through it and feeling overwhelmed. I know once we make an offer things will move quickly and I don't want to be the bottleneck but at the same time I don't want to sign things I don't understand.

What you're saying makes sense re: not making financial sense for inspectors to have a clause that will make them liable if there are errors. I don't know how it is in my area - but I will report back when I get the contract back from the inspector. But yes if that is the case then yes hopefully/you better make sure you've hired a detailed and thorough inspector and if he discovers any potential problems that are beyond his expertise you better hire additional experts if necessary.

I do get what you're saying about people feeling like you're second guessing them - I do think it's a balance and one of the ways to minimize that feeling is the way you present it (like gypsy said above.) I feel that I've been doing this - for example, when I questioned the realtor about the comps I just told him I was confused that the homes that he sent over were mostly 2 story homes and homes that were much more expensive than the one I'm looking at, and that I thought they were supposed to be kind of the same. Then I heard his explanation, came to the conclusion that the # he had come to made sense regardless (I'm sure mostly due to his expertise, not the comps he pulled), thanked him, and left it at that.

This is excellent advice rainwood I will do that: Get your financial info together and call some lenders to see what kind of terms they'd offer. Then you have a way of comparing whether what the mortgage broker brings you is better than what you can find on your own. If not, that broker shouldn't be earning a broker's fee.

And thanks for the heads up re: the closing documents. I don't know exactly everything that goes into closing documents but it sounds like one of the things would be the mortgage / financial documents. And many attorneys around here advertise "we can review your closing package" so it's really good to keep in mind that all I will be able to do is make sure that the financial documents are what I was told. And possibly negotiate some fees (by these do you mean the the appraisal fees, etc.?). That simplifies things.

As far as what I can expect/want from a lawyer. Right now my main thing I'm considering is having one look over the offer. My goal is to make sure DH and I are protected as much as possible (earnest money and if something goes wrong during appraisal or inspection or the seller doesn't deliver/do something they should) - so I want to make sure we're not missing any contingencies based on the particular house/situation. I feel like that is realistic for this point in the process - and maybe help with any renegotiations/counteroffers. I have not thought about what I'd want from an attorney beyond that. But I get your point that not every detail is worth pursuing/negotiating. Here though, I'd expect the attorney to counsel me on what matters and what doesn't - do you agree with that.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gypsy I think rainwood definitely gave me a lot of great advice about what to focus on / what to let go of.

One thing I've been telling DH is that as much as I'm going into this purchase in a very calculating way, I do realize there are PEOPLE (the sellers) at the other end of this deal. They have a dog who's deaf who's been there when I went to see the house. These are people.

So I feel that by remembering this it will help me try to see their POV and understand why they may want to do/not do certain things in what they might ask. And hopefully this will help me negotiate because like you say, once I understand the why I can be more creative in addressing what they might want.

I like the prioritization list of (have to haves, etc.) and will use it for when the time comes so we can stay clear and focused. And I totally agree with you that not everything can be a have to have or it's not a negotiation.

Thanks gypsy for the encouraging words and advice.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooops -- please forgive the type in my last post! I meant to say I CAN'T speak to how anyone else's compensation works, not CAN.

Sorry about that!

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
My DH and I own 12 rental houses and flip houses as well. I just recently got licensed as RE Broker.

You are getting solid advice here. Buying for the first time is overwhelming, and there is quite a bit to learn and absorb.
I also wonder if your agent is the best fit for you. Some agents are better at dealing with first time buyers, providing resources and lots of information to help you get comfortable with the process.

I would also like to suggest that you request your seller provides a Home Warranty to you. This will give you some peace of mind and protection for repair costs. So research Home Warranties and specify exactly what type of warranty you want in your offer. we provided one for the last property we sold and it was around $500. We were fine with paying for it. But ask for it in your original offer.

Good luck!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Where I live, lawyers are rarely hired for residential real estate transactions. Offers are made on standard forms with the specifics such as contingencies filled in by your realtor. In some states, lawyers are a necessary part of the process. So I don't know what is and is not the norm where you live. I do know that the FHA or some government agency like that does offer real estate seminars for first-time buyers in my city. You might want to see if there's something like that where you live.

And real estate is very, vey local both as to what is customary and what is legally required. Something that is common practice in one state or city may be a lot different elsewhere. For example, asking a seller to provide a warranty may be something that happens where you live. I don't know. The city where I live is a red hot real estate market with very little inventory. No one here would ever ask the seller to provide a warranty because there are lots of potential buyers lining up who wouldn't ask for one, and it would kill the sale. And because it's such a seller's market, buyers have to move really, really fast which has to be a nightmare for a first-time buyer for a variety of reasons. You'll need to take whatever advice you get here and adapt it to your area.

And you need to remember that there is no such thing as a risk-free real estate purchase. You have to be comfortable with not knowing everything about everything. No inspector is going to catch everything that's wrong with your house, you'll never know if you got the absolutely best deal on the purchase price or the best terms on your loan or whether you could have gotten a better house if you'd waited or tried a different neighborhood. You just can't. You can reduce the risks by being reasonably thorough, but you cannot make them go away. And at some point, you have to be okay with that or you'll drive yourself crazy.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Elizabeth35 I have to admit I'm envious of your experience! You must know all the ins and outs like the back of your hand.

I agree this may not be the right agent for me.

rainwood I'll ask my RE agent if it's common to hire attorneys in this area. Bet it isn't though. He did tell me that the contract has the standard contingencies, etc. so I'm sure it's all very commonplace.

I'm sure if I lived in a hot market I'd lose a couple of sales before I finally realized I need to move faster. But it may take that for me to feel comfortable.

I think aside from being a first time homebuyer the fact that this house has so many things wrong with it adds to the feel to need to be extra thorough and make sure we're getting a good deal based on all we would need to do to it. I think what's going to help me is to do breakdown - what we'd have to pay for it in order to accommodate all the repairs we'd have to do. And then put in an offer only if it seems worth it. That will give me something to grasp.

But I do realize I can't eliminate all risk - I told my husband the other night at the very least we need to be prepared to lose the $700+ on the home inspection. It's not a risk free process.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results