shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there such a thing as lab-created tanzanite?

Peary

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE the color of tanzanite, but have read that they're not durable for daily wear on the hand. I was curious whether there is such a thing as a lab-made tanzanite, so that I can get one for a relatively low price and not have to worry too much about it chipping or scratching, since I could easily replace it if it did.

Or do people just look for a lab-created sapphire that mimics that tanzanite color and has the hardness to boot?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, they haven’t, as yet, been successful in synthesising Tanzanite.
Natural Zoisite comes in a few colours, the gem variety known as Tanzanite being the beautiful purple blue colour.
It is a brittle gemstone and only around 6 to 7 on Mohos so not really a good choice for a ring and/ or giving to an inexperienced jeweller to set.
Lab grown Corrundum (and Spinel) are both harder at 9 and a better wearing gemstone. Lab material is created in many many colours and tones and you can buy material similar to Tanzanite.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I've also seen CZ that is a pretty good mimic. It won't have the same optical properties but the color is spot on. Ebay has a lot of it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results