shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there something wrong with this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abcdefg

Rough_Rock
Trade
I found this diamond, and it's a good size for much cheaper than I expected. It got a 1.2 grade on the cut adviser (EX/EX/EX/VG). The only thing I can think of that might make it cheaper is the fluorescence... but that's not a bad thing, right? At least, from what I've read about fluorescence, I doubt I'd mind it. Am I missing something?
33.gif

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 0.76
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 61.9%
Table: 56.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Strong blue
Measurements: 5.86*5.84*3.62

Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.8

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 7:03:01 AM
Author:abcdefg
I found this diamond, and it's a good size for much cheaper than I expected. It got a 1.2 grade on the cut adviser (EX/EX/EX/VG). The only thing I can think of that might make it cheaper is the fluorescence... but that's not a bad thing, right? At least, from what I've read about fluorescence, I doubt I'd mind it. Am I missing something?
33.gif

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 0.76
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 61.9%
Table: 56.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Strong
Measurements: 5.86*5.84*3.62

Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
I can't see any problems, strong blue ( I take it the fluoro is blue?) can be beneficial to a J colour diamond also. What is the price of the diamond please and is it with a store jeweller or online?

abcdefg

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sorry, I edited to show that the certificate says strong blue fluorescence. It''s $1440 online.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 7:06:37 AM
Author: abcdefg
Sorry, I edited to show that the certificate says strong blue fluorescence. It''s $1440 online.
I had a quick look to compare prices, I would email the vendor and check the price.

abcdefg

Rough_Rock
Trade
Why? Do you think it might be a mistake?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Slightly low on the price. Maybe price entering error on their part.

EDT:
JA apparently has some issue with listed price of their stones recently.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 7:10:43 AM
Why? Do you think it might be a mistake?
It is possible but the price isn't that much lower than comparable diamonds, but it is a bit lower so check to make sure.
The vendor in question are reputable and competent, and they are great to deal with.

ring tutor

Rough_Rock
i agree that the price seems a bit on the low side. i never like when sites list a diamond as having a gia cert and then write its cut grade as "ideal". ideal is an ags term and not a gia term so it imay not even be "ideal". and for sure, the word ideal will never appear on the gia grading report. . personally, i would never purchase a diamond without the new (since jan 2007) GIA cut grade. cut can account for up to 50% of the price of a diamond and is often the missing link. cut adviser is a good tool but is not as conclusive as the gia cut grade. what is the date of this grading report? as for fluorescence, no in this case it would never hurt the diamonds appearance or value. i would though question a j/vs1, although this is completely personal. your at the very end of the near colorless range (may look a bit yellow) but very clean under 10X magnification. many chose to go a little lower on clarity for more eye visible "whiteness". just some thoughts.....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 7:32:11 AM
Author: ring tutor
i agree that the price seems a bit on the low side. i never like when sites list a diamond as having a gia cert and then write its cut grade as 'ideal'. ideal is an ags term and not a gia term so it imay not even be 'ideal'. and for sure, the word ideal will never appear on the gia grading report. . personally, i would never purchase a diamond without the new (since jan 2007) GIA cut grade. cut can account for up to 50% of the price of a diamond and is often the missing link. cut adviser is a good tool but is not as conclusive as the gia cut grade. what is the date of this grading report? as for fluorescence, no in this case it would never hurt the diamonds appearance or value. i would though question a j/vs1, although this is completely personal. your at the very end of the near colorless range (may look a bit yellow) but very clean under 10X magnification. many chose to go a little lower on clarity for more eye visible 'whiteness'. just some thoughts.....
I think you will find that many here have GIA or AGS J colour diamonds which don't look yellow, some of which are over 2 carats. I examined a top cut J colour in person recently graded as above and it was completely white to my eyes, do you find some J colour look yellow to you Hillary?

abcdefg

Rough_Rock
Trade
The date on the report is November 12, 2008. I agree that it would make more sense to go higher on colour and lower on clarity (VS1 doesn't seem necessary), but I haven't seen any diamonds like that that were a similar price.

Er... by higher on colour I meant better... I guess that would be lower.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 7:35:44 AM
The date on the report is November 12, 2008. I agree that it would make more sense to go higher on colour and lower on clarity (VS1 doesn''t seem necessary), but I haven''t seen any diamonds like that that were a similar price.

Er... by higher on colour I meant better... I guess that would be lower.
See what the verdict is on the price if you are interested in purchase ( you might want to pop the diamond on hold if you are interested in it). This vendor has a good return policy so plenty of time to evaluate the diamond and the colour grade, and compare it with others to see if it is the right one for you.

ring tutor

Rough_Rock
totally personal, but color is so much more important to me than natural imperfections under magnification. i always see the slight yellow face up in a j versus a g, but of course the si1 appears the same to the eye as a vs1. hope the customer did not think i was judging his choice.....this is purely personal decision. j is a great color grade, still being near colorless, but when a budget is involved i usually recommend not going for the vs1 over color. again, beauty in the eye of the beholder....

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - but a J with SBF is going to look much whiter...this looks to be a very beautiful stone. If the price comes up as true, I say GO FOR IT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results