shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there something magic about 2 cts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s a magic number but i do think it has alot to do with your finger size.

I wanted something that looks proportiante on my size 7 finger, and I didn''t want an elaborate setting. So I was lucky enough to get a 2 1/2 ct stone and set it in a solitate. If I loved pave, halo''s or 3 stones, I would have gone with something smaller and had the same, if not more coverage.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think tv and the media have allowed us to compare ourselves to others more. What did Chandler give Monica when they got engaged? I''d be willing to wager that a good percentage of the population has seen that episode and loves the look of the ring. We see movie stars who get 4, 5, 9 carats. And the star who recently was given a .5 ish that was a family stone? It''s the media and advertising''s jobs to have us consume, buy more. It works.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 4:34:55 PM
Author: vespergirl

Date: 3/19/2009 7:06:44 AM
Author: sba771
I also think it has to do with the fact that people my age actually have no concept of how much a good 2 carat costs or even looks like. They just know they want big so 2+ carats it is! I had a former coworker who asked to see my ring and she was surprised to hear what it was and she sounded almost disapointed, like she thought it would look bigger (it looks big to me) and I could tell she just wanted big and had no idea what goes into a diamond. She actually just got engaged and since I am across the globe I have only seen pictures of her ring- I can''t tell what size it is but part of me is dying to know if she got >2.35 carats since apparently that was small to her.
Ditto. I was the first one of my groups of friends to get engaged, and when I showed off my 2 ct diamond, two of my friends said they thought a 2 ct stone would look bigger, and wanted something bigger when they got engaged. They also couldn''t believe how much something as ''small'' as my stone cost ...

One of them is still not engaged, but the other one who is now married got a 4 ct - CZ! Even though her husband makes a great salary, she really didn''t want something smaller than 4 ct size, so she opted for a CZ, since he wouldn''t spend above the price of a 2 ct diamond. To each his own ... I would personally take a .5 ct real diamond (still absolutely lovely) over a huge fake, but that''s just me ...
I would MUCH rather have a half carat diamond than a 4 ct CZ. And given the choice between a CZ and a TWO CARAT DIAMOND...... Um..... 2 cts please!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
This is probably my country bumpkin-ness showing, but (having never seen a super-huge stone in real life) I would be concerned that a super-large rock could look ''doll-like, like dress-ups, in the wrong setting...the intrinsic attention-grabbing nature of the stone would have to be quite carefully handled...
20.gif

me even saying that reminds me of the story about Elizabeth Taylor and Princess Anne (of England)
Princess Anne had been quoted in the press as saying Taylor''s super huge diamond - some important diamond, can''t be bothered googling - was ''vulgar'' (presumably in its size and setting)
When Taylor met with Anne, she pressed Anne to try on the ring.
''There'','' Taylor said, as Princess Anne admired the ring on her own finger. ''It doesn''t look so vulgar now, does it?"

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I think that 2cts looks too big on my fingers (and I have big fingers). I love the size of a 1ct and my ering is a little bit over that. I would feel self conscious with a 2ct where I live.

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say that I love this thread! It is so interesting to read different replies from people living in different areas. Here is my take: I live at the Jersey Shore about 1 hour from NYC, and what I see most (where I work) are the basic 1 carat (maybe a little more) stone. I have 2 different friends who have 2 carat stones. One was an upgrade from a 1.5 carat and the other was just received at her engagement a month ago. My mother in law has a 3+ carat Radiant (but she upgraded for her 40th anniversary). I have a 1.35 RB so I feel comfortably in the middle. Would I like a 2 carat stone? ABSOLUTELY! But I am diamond obsessed! Of course it would have to be a well cut stone, I would never give up my current beauty just to get to a specific number. I do believe that the 2 carat is well on its way to replacing the 1 carat in my area, it is just a matter of time IMO.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
I live in Scotland and the biggest diamond I have ever seen was my cousins which is a 1.26ct princess cut and she lives in Philadelphia - she moved to Philly about 5 years ago and got her diamond for her first push pressie. Its huge and I''ve never ever seen anything this big in this country. I think the biggest has been a 1ct. But my cuz was saying that where she lives, her 1.26 is small in comparison.

I would love to own a 1.75ct EC one day which I''d set east-west and wear alongside my 5-stone for serious blingtasticness. Don''t give a stuff if its not the ''norm'', I like not being the ''norm''.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 12:12:55 AM
Author: LaraOnline
This is probably my country bumpkin-ness showing, but (having never seen a super-huge stone in real life) I would be concerned that a super-large rock could look ''doll-like, like dress-ups, in the wrong setting...the intrinsic attention-grabbing nature of the stone would have to be quite carefully handled...
20.gif

me even saying that reminds me of the story about Elizabeth Taylor and Princess Anne (of England)
Princess Anne had been quoted in the press as saying Taylor''s super huge diamond - some important diamond, can''t be bothered googling - was ''vulgar'' (presumably in its size and setting)
''There'','' Taylor said, as Princess Anne admired the ring on her own finger. ''It doesn''t look so vulgar now, does it?''

That was Princess Margaret, not Princess Anne.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 8:16:34 AM
Author: Pyramid

This is probably my country bumpkin-ness showing, but (having never seen a super-huge stone in real life) I would be concerned that a super-large rock could look 'doll-like, like dress-ups, in the wrong setting...the intrinsic attention-grabbing nature of the stone would have to be quite carefully handled...
20.gif

Princess Anne had been quoted in the press as saying Taylor's super huge diamond - some important diamond, can't be bothered googling - was 'vulgar' (presumably in its size and setting)
'There',' Taylor said, as Princess Anne admired the ring on her own finger. 'It doesn't look so vulgar now, does it?'

And the diamond was the 33.19 ct Krupp diamond, Elizabeth Taylor's favorite piece of jewelry. I'll bet there is something magical about over 30 ct as well!
9.gif

kruppdiamond1a.jpg

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Is that an asscher or an emerald cut?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 8:53:15 AM
Author: Moh 10
Is that an asscher or an emerald cut?

From Wikipedia---The Krupp Diamond is a 33.19-carat (6.638 g) stone, last sold at Sotheby''s on May 16, 1968, for $305,000, to Welsh actor Richard Burton. Burton gave the stone to English-American actress Dame Elizabeth Taylor, his wife at that time. She has worn it since and has stated it is her favorite piece. The Krupp Diamond and other famous pieces of jewelry has since become part of Taylor''s image. It is an emerald cut, with length and width proportions which are closer to that of an Asscher cut. It also has a fairly large culet facet, indicating it was likely cut before the 1920s, when culet facets were being phased out.

The diamond is named for the Krupp family of German industrialists, and it was sold as part of the estate of Vera Krupp, second wife of Alfried Krupp.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 8:52:10 AM
Author: Fly Girl

Date: 3/22/2009 8:16:34 AM
Author: Pyramid

20.gif

''There'','' Taylor said, as Princess Anne admired the ring on her own finger. ''It doesn''t look so vulgar now, does it?''

And the diamond was the 33.19 ct Krupp diamond, Elizabeth Taylor''s favorite piece of jewelry. I''ll bet there is something magical about over 30 ct as well!
9.gif
That diamond could NEVER be vulgar - no sirree.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Well I think Liz should get it recut and polish away 6 or 7 carats to make it a proper asscher.

Anyone got her phone number?

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
20.gif

Lara, that is such a wonderful story and Im sure that I will find a way to use it!!!!! I can really imagine E.T. saying that.....and that it would have been so true. And I bet the ring infact didnt look so vulgar at all when on one own`s hand!!!!!!

I personally love beautiful things so much. I really get so much pleasure out of looking at diamonds there`s no words for it!!!!

My take on things is that size is relative as we can see from this thread. Some think 2 carats is vulgar, others think its a starting point before an upgrade. Im prone to thinking its a really decent size in most peoples books.

I dont know about others but I cant help giving extra brownie points when I see a gorgeous hand with slender fingers wearing even a tiny diamond. Plus I really pay attention to the setting and design of a ring which to me plays a central role. eg Ive seen huge diamonds in awful settings and I dont admire just for the size..... I look at the whole package!!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results