shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there much size difference between 1/4 size in rings?

hidingpearl

Rough_Rock
I live in Aus, so sizing here goes by letters rather than numbers, and I'm having a little bit of trouble working out what size ring to order for my engagement ring. I'd prefer not to get the ring resized, so I'd rather get it right the first time.

I ordered a plain band that was described as a size 6.75 from an antique vendor. When my fingers aren't swollen it slides of quite easily, and when my fingers are most swollen it comes off with little resistance. My knuckles are only a bit smaller than the end of my finger where the ring sits. I'm trying to work out if I should order a 6.25 or a 6.5.

My question is, will going down 1/4 size be enough of a size difference, or is the difference only minuscule? Every jeweller in Aus that I've been to doesn't stock rings in all sizes, so I can't really try several sizes on. The sizing rings on the chain are a bit ridiculous too because the bands are about 4mm wide, whereas mine will only be 2mm. There's also a few difference translations from letters (Aus) to numbers (US) so I'm worried the sizing might get a little bit lost in translation. It might be worth mentioning I do not like the feel of a ring feeling too tight.

Thanks in advance! :)

dveeg

Rough_Rock
Do you have access to a local jeweler with a ring sizer? We tried several places just to ensure consistency. My FF was between a 6 and a 6.5. The 6 went on, but with some struggle getting past the knuckle. The 6.5 was okay passing the knuckle but pretty loose on the finger. I ended up ordering a 6.25 (haven't popped the question yet - so hopefully the fit will be right).

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
That's a tough question to answer bc that 1/4 difference is minute BUT noticeable. Have you tried one of the paper sizers online or converting the size difference from US sizing to AUS sizing and then trying on that size at a local jewellers?

I like wearing my rings quite loose, I went up a quarter size and it was perfect for me to get rings off and on more easily no matter if my fingers were cold or swollen. But I have dscernible knuckles to stop the rings from flying off (SO, on the other hand, has fingers like a jewellers mandrel and everything can fly off easily).

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe you could buy a 2mm silver band in size 6, 6.25, 6.5, and 6.75, and try each of them out on different days/nights - then send the band that fits best to the vendor you'll be using for your ER?

hidingpearl

Rough_Rock
marymm|1424483844|3835725 said:
Maybe you could buy a 2mm silver band in size 6, 6.25, 6.5, and 6.75, and try each of them out on different days/nights - then send the band that fits best to the vendor you'll be using for your ER?

That's actually an excellent idea. I have looked into it, but I couldn't really find any 6.25 sized cheapie rings. I'll look further into it though!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in Melbourne and I've found that most local jewellers (not jewellery retail stores like in shopping centres but local, suburban jewellers) carry a set of sizing rings. When I had my tourmaline set I knew I was a 4.75US but had no clue about Australian sizing. My jeweller gave me the sizing rings to try and we went from there. You could do the same then convert the size to US sizing using online resources.

Another consideration - will you be wearing a wedding band on the same finger? If so, don't go too small as it will feel tighter stacked with a second band.

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
I would order a 6.5. When you pair it with another band you might be happy you have the extra room. :)

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
for me, it depends on shank size. really tiny shanks, a 4.25 is perfect but wider shanks, I size up to 4-3/8 or 4.5.
1/4 of a size makes a big diff to me.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, 1/4 of a size can make a difference. I actually had to send a ring back to go down 1/4 of a size and it made a big difference.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find there is a noticeable difference when using US sizing. Not so much when using the letter system (I live in the UK and we have letters too).

What I found easiest was to buy a cheapy ring that is the perfect size and sent it to the jeweller. They can then measure it on the mandrel they use and you will get the exact size you want. I have found that different jewellers have slightly different sizing. Best to make sure its perfect the first time seeing as you live so far away.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1/4 size is about the fluff that comes from things like time of day, time of the month, temperature, salt intake and similar variables that can change fairly quickly.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You mentioned that the sizing rings on a chain were too wide. Your jeweler should be able to order both wide and narrow sizing rings, and the difference in the size needed can be a full size or more depending on your fingers. (full size in jeweler speak is a half size to normal people, i.e. 6.5 to 6.)

If you follow the link given above to Blue Nile, be sure to order the thickness of band that most closely mirrors the ring you are ordering.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results