shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there any way this is a "J"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

billv45

Rough_Rock
There's a real cheap (at least for now it's at $1400) stone on auction on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11002&item=2617636450&rd=1
That claims it is a VS1 J 1.6kt but it sure looks more yellow in the pics. Could the skin background be throwing off? It sure would be a great deal if the "cert" is accurate.

billv45

Rough_Rock
Oops, the pic didn't attach, here it is.

3014-2.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 2/28/2003 10:39:55 AM billv45 wrote:
There's a real cheap (at least for now it's at $1400) stone on auctin at ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11002&item=2617636450&rd=1
That claims it is a VS1 J 1.6kt but it sure looks more yellow in the pics. Could the skin background be throwing off? It sure would be a great deal if the "cert" is accurate.----------------
BILLV45: When i read your thread I want to let you know please be cautious. Important fsactors to ask yourself. Who certed the stone. GIA, IGl, AGS, EGL. Looks from the ebay add it is certed by Igl.A 1.6 carat heart shaped diamond? I don't have an opinion on Igl. Maybe you can get some feedback from others on the sight. As far as being able to see the yellow. A J in a ideal cut round brilliant diamond will be less dominant in one of a stone like the heart shaped diamond in the add. The cut and return of light affects the way the stone faces up. In this case the cut of the heart shaped diamond maybe easier to see because the light return is not as high as an ideal. I would caution you though seriously consider what you might be getting when you are paying for something on ebay, and do not walk into things blindly because the price seems attractive.

-Josh RIoux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

billv45

Rough_Rock
Thanks Josh, I agree with you entirely. I've asked the seller for all the missing info but have not heard back and would not be real surprised if I do not get a response.

Architect

Rough_Rock
I checked out the stone and here is my two cents on it. If it truly were a J in color, then the diamond would not appear as yellow as it does in the picture. Another thing to consider is that the diamond is not set on a white background but yet it shows alot of yellow. You have to wonder just how yellow it would look when set against a white background, which is how you should always judge a diamonds color. I am guessing this diamond looks to be an M color or closer to that than a real J. The inventory number suggests it is an IGL certified diamond which would acount for the color not matching the color grade given.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello Billv,

To be fair, you can't judge a diamond color by a photograph of the stone on someones fingers. In the picture the diamond looks almost fancy brownish yellow but I don't think it is. But I also don't think it is a VS1.

If the diamond is certified, who did the cert? GIA, EGL, HRD? If one of these labs has done the cert, ask yourself, how good is the lab.

That heart looks very pretty. But you do need to know exactly what color and clarity it is before you lay down your $.

Good Luck!

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Ebay is one of those buyer beware places.

Remember back about a year ago. Where that lady put up a couple of diamonds for bid and they never existed ! They give them the money first before they ship the diamonds out. Well, the money was collected and she split with $27,000.

Im sure that is 1 in a million , but it always is in the back of my mind.

Nuff said
The Iceman

mattinSD

Rough_Rock
Is it just me, or can anyone else see that inclusion?

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
You mean the big one at the bottom or the small one in the center
1.gif

mattinSD

Rough_Rock
I didn't even notice the one at the bottom!!!
errrr.gif
I just saw the one in the middle and thought "VS1"??? Not!

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Was that VS or BS ?
1.gif

billv45

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! still no response from the seller of this auction. I kind of expected so much, so if I can quote Delmar O'Donnell "I'm with you fellers". I do realize the dangers in purchasing a diamond, or any other high dollar item from Ebay but my taste and budget don't always see eye to eye.
There's another stone I've been watching on ebay. Has anyone done any business with Gemhunt Diamonds (Gemhunt.com)?

thanks Bill

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Ice, don't you know that on eBay VS stands for Very Strongly Included???
1.gif
1.gif

BTW, ALL
6.gif
their stones have Ex polish and Good symmetry??!!!!!!
angryfire.gif
Even black diamonds!!!!!

The color of that heart looks like a fancy! Who knows, maybe GIA could grade it as fancy light yellowish brown??
2.gif

Giangi

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bill--check out the 'search' function and look for a thread about GemHunt which was pretty recent. Someone was asking about them and the consensus was..be cautious as they are an eBay only seller though their stuff does look pretty good and they DO give more information than most eBay sellers, but you are still talking about an eBay purchase--which inherently has more risks than a reputable online jeweler with the appropriate affiliations.

My suggestion was for the poster to continue to check out online stones from reputable online vendors and see if the $500 price difference or similar on a like stone is worth involving yourself in potentially very risky eBay transaction.

Also search for other threads on buying from eBay. The question is posed often. JHyde purchased recently from eBay a 'Tiffany' ring and diamond and found out the hard way that it was not as sold, it was not a Tiffany ring, and went through a bit of a hassle in the return and recovery of his $$.

Many people are overly cautious about buying online in general, I agree that the buyer must educate themselves to the fullest when purchasing online sight-unseen and dropping thousands of dollars. Be even more cautious with an auction venue such as eBay. But good luck!!

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Billv, if that is a J VS1, I will eat my hat. On the other hand, it's hardly an unattractive stone. For $1400, what looks like a well-cut Fancy light brownish yellow heart shape would be a bargain, thus--ditto all the warnings about eBay. If you want to get it, do it via escrow.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results