shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there any risk to get the diamond appraised?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

likexx

Rough_Rock
I just bought my engaging ring from Internet. The diamond is 0.5c, F color,VS1,Ideal Cut.
I want to find an appraiser to appraise the diamond,but there're several questions:
1.The diamond is already setted on the ring(4-prong tiffany style).Will the appraiser take the diamond off the ring when they appraise the diamond? If they do, will that cause the setting to be loose?
2. Will the appraiser switch the diamond?
3. How much should be a reasonable price for appraising?

By the way,I didn't receive the original GIA certificate(they just give a copy of the GIA certificate). Shall I ask for the original one?

Thanks for help!:rolleyes:

student

Shiny_Rock
Definitely ask for the original cert!!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
No appraiser is going to blow years of qualifications to steal one lousy diamond :)

You should demand the original cert. the appraiser will check it is the same stone and will not need to remove it. If you want a cheap appraiser, then simply do not bother getting it appraised - just use the sale document. If you want peace of mind then pay the appraiser what he/she asks. Probably + or - $100 depending on your requirements.

Opticcurve

Rough_Rock
Will the appraiser typically want to see the AGS or GIA certificate before they appraise the diamond, or will they wait until afterwards so that they don't unconsciously try to conform their report to the certificate?

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
no. do not show the appraiser the cert first. that makes his/her job WAY too easy!!!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Like. In answer to your questions:

-----------
1.The diamond is already setted on the ring(4-prong tiffany style).Will the appraiser take the diamond off the ring when they appraise the diamond? If they do, will that cause the setting to be loose?
-----------

No, an appraiser will not remove a diamond unless you ask for it.

-----------
2. Will the appraiser switch the diamond?
-----------

Only if he or she is a thief. (not likely)

-----------
3. How much should be a reasonable price for appraising?
-----------

Most good appraisers doing a comprehensive report with digital color photos, etc, will probably charge between $75 to $125. I charge a $90 minimum for example, and a half carat would fall within that minimum.

-----------
Will the appraiser typically want to see the AGS or GIA certificate before they appraise the diamond, or will they wait until afterwards so that they don't unconsciously try to conform their report to the certificate?
-----------

A good question, and good point. On a high quality diamond I always ask the client if they have a laboratory grading report for the stone. Then I suggest that I grade the stone without examining the report to see if my grade confirms the report grade. I point out to them though that the laboratory had the luxury of grading the stone loose, while I am doing the tougher job of examining the characteristics while it's mounted. I also hand them an informational sheet to read that explains the subjective science of diamond grading, and points out the slight differences in grading which might legitimately arise between different appraisers.

Then after grading the stone, we compare my findings with the cert. I find this process usually gives the client peace-of-mind regarding their stone. If there are any difference's, we discuss the probable reasons for them. In the end, if the gradings are close and the original cert is either GIA or AGS, I usually (but not always*) suggest we use their grading on the appraisal.

If the grading is another lab other than GIA/AGS, I usually use my grading for the appraisal and make a note in the comments section that the diamond was graded by such-&-such laboratory as such-&-such grade.

*One last note- Once in a great while I will use my grading over the GIA/AGS cert's grading if I feel their grade is incorrect. I know this will draw gasps from all those who consider GIA/AGS the last word in diamond grading, but the fact is that their grade is an informed "opinion". Sometimes there are other laboratories which feel their opinion is just as valid as the GIA's, and will stick to their guns in stating it on paper.

Again, this happens very seldom, and is usually little cause for concern.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results