shape
carat
color
clarity

is there a way to test if it is a real diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aussieguy

Rough_Rock
Aloha

I have a couple of loose stones in my jewelry collection and before taking them to an appraiser is there a way for a complete novice to at least determine if it is a real diamond?

Please show me a way to not look like a real dumbo by taking a piece of junk to an appraiser...

Thanks
Heinz
6.gif

dymonite

Rough_Rock
My understanding is that it can be difficult to tell without physical testing by an equipped lab - I am not sure what the process is though (obviously not a destructive test
2.gif
)

There are giveaways such as:

No inclusions at all (very rare in diamonds except IF grad)
Bubbles in Cubic Zirconia (but can be mistaken for inclusions)

Tests such as scratching glass is not useful or recommended and thermal conductivity testing can be even misleading.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
With the disclaimer that you should be sure and take the stones to an expert for confirmation, here's a couple fun "tests" you can do. They all require having a diamond for comparison. These are tests to distinguish between diamond and cubic zirconias only:

THE "HUFF" TEST
Hold the stone in question next to a diamond and "huff" on them with your hot breath. Both stones will fog up. The diamond will clear up rapidly, while a CZ will take a little longer.

THE "SEE THRU" WATER TEST
Put the stone is question in a glass of water, along with a diamond. A CZ (with a 2.2 refractive index versus diamond's 2.42) will appear more "transparent" than a diamond. It will look more "washed out", or "ghostlike" compared to a diamond.

THE "READ THRU" NEWSPRINT TEST
Put the stone in question alongside a diamond, face down over newsprint. You'll be able to slightly read thru a CZ, but not a diamond.

THE "DISPERSION" WATER TEST
In a dark room, put the stone in question in the bottom of a glass alongside a diamond, face down. Lift the glass up a couple inches, and shine a flashlight down on them vertically from above.

Diamond has a dispersion of 0.44, while CZ's is 0.66, 50% more. You will see a circular pattern of light images under the stones which has been "streched out" into a rainbow spectrum. If one of the stones is a CZ, it's rainbow spectrum will be 50% longer, more "stretched out" than a diamond. The difference in look is obvious.

THE "GIVE IT AS AN ENGAGEMENT RING" TEST
Give stone in question to your fiancee as an engagement ring. If she throws it back in your face within 24 hours, it is a CZ.

optimized

Shiny_Rock
THE "GIVE IT AS AN ENGAGEMENT RING" TEST
Give stone in question to your fiancee as an engagement ring. If she throws it back in your face within 24 hours, it is a CZ.

ROFLMAO! That has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read here on the forums! Classic! Thanks for the laugh, Richard!!!
appl.gif
appl.gif

-Tim

aussieguy

Rough_Rock
Not only is the "Engagement" test a ripper the other tests are pretty useful

Thank you all for replying
Much appreciated....
read.gif

justme

Shiny_Rock
"This is a test, it is only a test."

Annoying Attention signal sounding

This is a test of the Real Engagement Ring System. The women of your area in voluntary cooperation with the Federal, State and local authorities have developed this system to keep you informed in the event of an fake engagement ring. If this had been an actual diamond the Attention Signal you just heard would have been followed by big smiles, tears and kisses. This concludes this test of the Real Engagement Ring System."

9.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOL LOL@ Richard!
My bf would often joke with me that he was going to get me a CZ instead of a diamond. He was so smug & even said "how would you know the difference"? Those are fighting words!
angryfire.gif
I told him I would have the stone appraised the very next day so he better not think for one second he would get away with it! haha As it turned out, I went to pick up the stone & I was the one to take it in for the appraisal.
naughty.gif
And you can bet your loop I'll be there when the stone gets set.
wink2.gif

Judy
:)

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Thank God for women. We men would still be Neandarthal's, living in caves, if it weren't for them.

A diamond is the least we can do...

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Rich-I guess with age comes wisdom?
9.gif
Sounds like you know who butters your bread brotha....Lol.....
2.gif

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results