shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there a way to get perfume out of pearls?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I have inherited a strand of pearls that my mother wore and evidently doused in perfume. I cannot tolerate perfume. Is there a way to get the smell out without damaging the pearls?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I think that having the pearls restrung on new silk (or other type of thread) would get rid of most of the smell.

Thank you! I wasn’t sure if the smell would be in the silk or in the pearls themselves.

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
I have read a few threads on the pearl forum about strands retaining the scent of perfume. Here are the things they suggested:
-restringing (should cause the most dramatic improvement)
-washing the pearls when they are off of the old thread with a mild detergent like Dr. Bronner's unscented (wash and rinse with lukewarm, distilled water)
-air out the pearls once they are off of the old thread

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once purchased some baroque Tahitians that stunk like death. New harvest and all that.......

I restrung them twice and the smell remained. What worked was this. I put then in a fine mesh pouch. I put that pouch in Tupperware that was filled with baking soda and activated carbon. The activated carbon that is used for fish tanks. I left them there for a couple weeks and the smell was totally removed.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have read a few threads on the pearl forum about strands retaining the scent of perfume. Here are the things they suggested:
-restringing (should cause the most dramatic improvement)
-washing the pearls when they are off of the old thread with a mild detergent like Dr. Bronner's unscented (wash and rinse with lukewarm, distilled water)
-air out the pearls once they are off of the old thread

I really do not endorse taking pearls off the old thread before washing them. Unless you want to spend hours getting them back into correct order.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I really do not endorse taking pearls off the old thread before washing them. Unless you want to spend hours getting them back into correct order.

Omg. Good thought.

Re: washing pearls...since they are drilled, wouldn’t water get into the pearls? How do you get it back out?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I do own pearls, but I’ve never gone in depth to pearl care like this.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I once purchased some baroque Tahitians that stunk like death. New harvest and all that.......

I restrung them twice and the smell remained. What worked was this. I put then in a fine mesh pouch. I put that pouch in Tupperware that was filled with baking soda and activated carbon. The activated carbon that is used for fish tanks. I left them there for a couple weeks and the smell was totally removed.

I like this idea, especially since it doesn’t involve water!

passexam

Rough_Rock
if I were you,I would restrung this pearl.Anyway,pearls are organic jewels.Maybe perfume are permeant.
(English is not my mother language,if I have some wrong in expression,please let me know ^^

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg. Good thought.

Re: washing pearls...since they are drilled, wouldn’t water get into the pearls? How do you get it back out?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I do own pearls, but I’ve never gone in depth to pearl care like this.

Pearls will not be damaged by a gentle cleansing with water and a bit of soap (not detergent). I personally use baby shampoo. Most people who wash their pearls will put the water and soap in a bowl and gently swish the pearls in the solution for a bit. Then run the pearls under water to rinse them. Then the strand is placed on a towel (unclasped, pearls kept straight) overnight. The strand must be let to dry before restringing them because the thread will swell with water. You don't want to risk having a knot swell and get stuck inside a pearl when removing the pearls from the thread.

That method is not recommended for faux pearls as the water may make the coating come right off. This is especially true with vintage or antique faux pearls.

The Tahitian strand I mentioned before was washed twice and a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water inserted into the drill holes to flush out any organic debris. That did not help at all. Only the baking soda/carbon method worked.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
T
Omg. Good thought.

That's why, generally you are advised not to get pearls wet. It's not the pearls- they don't mind at all, it's the silk thread which, trapped inside the pearl drill hole, will take ages to dry out and, being a natural fibre, will cheerfully rot very quickly.

Remember to put the plug in before washing them...

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To avoid getting them out of order, but still get them off the silk before washing them, you can cut the strand apart pearl by pearl (I use a craft razor knife or my Swanstrom double-flush cutters) and restring each pearl in order temporarily on craft wire before washing them.

They will dry more quickly inside the drill hole and they are all in the correct order, ready to restring. You will also have better access to the area around the drill hole, where grime always seems to accumulate.

To wash them I use Bronner's unscented liquid soap with bottled water (to avoid scum forming because of interaction between the soap and our hard well water. Bottled water also avoids exposing the pearls to the chlorine in municipal water.) I have also used baby wash, and that works fine. I do this for my Majorica imitation pearls as well.

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
@Pearlescence I was referencing that the pearls could/should be washed again after they had been restrung onto new thread if the perfume smell still remained after they had been restrung.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Tonks. I know just what you mean
My mum mustn't have known the pearls go on last rule
When i open the case they smell of stale white diamonds

Lucky i don't really mind it although its not a purfume i would wear myself (my sister gave me an unopened bottle still in the cellophane from mum's and I'm thinking about using it for bathroom spray !)

But on the pearls It reminds me of her in a nice way

But mine (mum's) badly need restringing
If your mum wore her's a lot they are probably overdue for a restringing too

Can we see pictures of mum's pearls ?

It was my understanding that the silk thread stretches when washed
But you can get very good synthetic alternatives to silk thread that does not stretch these days

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
To avoid getting them out of order, but still get them off the silk before washing them, you can cut the strand apart pearl by pearl (I use a craft razor knife or my Swanstrom double-flush cutters) and restring each pearl in order temporarily on craft wire before washing them.

They will dry more quickly inside the drill hole and they are all in the correct order, ready to restring. You will also have better access to the area around the drill hole, where grime always seems to accumulate.

To wash them I use Bronner's unscented liquid soap with bottled water (to avoid scum forming because of interaction between the soap and our hard well water. Bottled water also avoids exposing the pearls to the chlorine in municipal water.) I have also used baby wash, and that works fine. I do this for my Majorica imitation pearls as well.

One day when you have time i would love to see the Majoricas
I have a faux pearl thread in the fabulous fashion jewlery forum

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I'd wash them in distilled water too.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds,
If you look at the other pearl forum there is a thread about imitation pearls, stickied on the "What Kind of Pearls Do I Have?" section. My Majorica photos are all there-- there are a lot of them. :bigsmile: Other members have their faux pearls photos there, too.

Here is one, 14mm gold and white:

Attachments

• 14mm gold and white Majorica necklace.jpg
    14mm gold and white Majorica necklace.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds,
If you look at the other pearl forum there is a thread about imitation pearls, stickied on the "What Kind of Pearls Do I Have?" section. My Majorica photos are all there-- there are a lot of them. :bigsmile: Other members have their faux pearls photos there, too.

They are beautiful
If you mean that other place that isn't here, i found it a bit hard to navigate on my pbone
I hadn't even heard of Majoricas till i had a look there

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds,

Those are really beautiful:kiss2:

chloehug

Rough_Rock
That's a tricky situation - it's tough when a sentimental item comes with an unwanted scent. I recommend taking the pearls to a professional jeweler who can clean them without damaging them.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

^^^ this advice is invaluable!

I sent a strand of baroque Tahitians to be re-strung via a local reputable jeweller.

They sent it out for re-stringing, and whoever did the re-stringing paid no notice to the original orientation of the pearls in the strand.

I did not notice the issue in the shop when I collected the strand along with another strand of WSSs.

Not certain if it was the same person who did the re-stringing or not, however, when I sent a strand of CFWPs for re-stringing, which has a variable length from 16 to 18in using a basket clasp as closure at one end, with no finding at the other end just doubled back on the gimp to hold in place; this person did not know how it was supposed to be re-strung, and made a mess of it. So I had to request for it to be re-strung again!

With the baroque Tahitian strand, I either have to put up with it, or I could cut it up and re-arrange the pearls myself, string them up, photograph to capture how they are arranged, before sending them out for re-stringing again.

I had re-strung strands myself in the past, however, that was BP as in Before Pets! :roll2::lol-2:

DK :))

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a 3 year old thread but now I'm wondering, @Tonks, did you ever get the smell out and if so, what worked?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a 3 year old thread but now I'm wondering, @Tonks, did you ever get the smell out and if so, what worked?

I only just noticed this is an old thread, DOH!

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results