shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there a noticeable size difference at 1.50 carats?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I have a round brilliant 1.38 carats 7.20 x 7.24 x 4.40. I''m considering getting a 1.54 carat 7.49 x 7.53 x 4.51
Will the size difference be noticeable between the two?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Yes.

I think you will notice a difference between 7.2mm and 7.5mms.

There is nothing magical about 1.5 carats as opposed to 1.49 carats, though.

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
The reason the difference is noticable despite only a 0.29 mm average increase in diameter, is that the apparent size looking down on the diamond is 8.2% more. When looking straight down on it, the first stone has an apparent surface area of 40.94 mm 2, the second 44.30.
Hope this helps.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My fiance and I were looking at bigger stones again recently, I tried on a 1.25, a 1.5 and a 1.75 and I could see a DRAMATIC size difference between them all. They also all seemed "too big" on me.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
It''s just one opinion, but I''d skip the BIG price increase at 1.5 and go with a nice 1.38. Buy from someone who will let you trade up to a nice 1.8 or 2.5 later on down the road. A nice 1.3-1.4 is a bit difficult to find these days unless someone is looking for you and gets it before it hits the lists.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2005 10:29
6.gif
3 AM
Author: elmo
It''s just one opinion, but I''d skip the BIG price increase at 1.5 and go with a nice 1.38. Buy from someone who will let you trade up to a nice 1.8 or 2.5 later on down the road. A nice 1.3-1.4 is a bit difficult to find these days unless someone is looking for you and gets it before it hits the lists.
I agree with elmo. I would save and upgrade to 1.8 or 2.4 later and skip the 1.4 to 1.5 upgrade.

That being said, you will notice a difference side by side. Whether or not it will make a big difference once mounted and you wear it for awhile and don''t have the other one to compare to, I don''t know. For me, this small of a jump doesn''t justify the relatively large jump in price. Go see a few 7.2 and 7.5 mm stones for yourself and see if the difference is worth it. A 1.38c at 7.25 mm is a very good value spread stone that is hard to find.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Once it''s on her hand, people aren''t gonna be able to guess what it is. A 1.38 is big enough. It falls into the "whoah" category. My fiancee''s coworkers all think her 1.37 is a 1.5 or even 2 carat diamond. It''s on a solitaire setting that shows off the diamond well so the thing looks monstrous. Unless all your friends are jewelers, I''d just get the 1.38 and then upgrade to something much bigger later like everyone else said. Most people want to upgrade anyways so I don''t think it''s worth the premium for a 1.5 when a 1.38 already impresses the hell out of most people.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Unfortuneatly I bought from a place that doens''t have upgrades. I didn''t check well. I''m doing an exchange because the 1.38 has a darkness to it I don''t really like & thought I may as well get something a little bigger now. So this will be it. No upgrades in my future unless I start all over again which I don''t think I want to do. I wish I could get a 1.75 - 2 carat now but it''s impossible. If I really feel I need something bigger in the future than there''s got to be Asha simulant calling my name. I think I''ll be happy with the 1.50 for the rest of my life. Around where I live most people have only 1 carat so I still feel it''s substantial.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Tiffany doesn''t let you upgrade?
What are the stats on the new stone??

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tiffany''s does let you upgrade. We did. I went from a one carat to a 2.36 carat.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Delicious Kaleigh!!! Rosy indicated in another post it was from Tiffany!!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
MMM
Thanks!! My dh suprised me. He wanted me to have a bigger diamond and I was like I love my diamond so he bought me the same style only bigger!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also third the notion to nix the 1.5c upgrade from 1.38 and get something slightly larger later. Maybe a nice 1.65 or similar.

It will definitely look larger, but how much larger really.

I notice a difference between my 1.29 and my friend''s 1.5c but it''s not like hers is big and mine is small. The difference is not breathtaking. So my next upgrade is going to hopefully be the elusive 1.85c to miss that 2c price hike...but we''ll see, supply is not happening right about now!!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/5/2005 2:56:28 PM
Author: kaleigh
Tiffany''s does let you upgrade. We did. I went from a one carat to a 2.36 carat.
Wow, I could only upgrade to a 2.36 carat in my dreams! Tiffany''s upgrade policy requires you to spend double the original purchase price of the ring. I don''t think I''ll be willing to spend that much on a diamond in my lifetime, I guess I have other priorities in life, not that I would say no if my significant other decided to .................................

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/5/2005 8:26:16 PM
Author: Mara
I also third the notion to nix the 1.5c upgrade from 1.38 and get something slightly larger later. Maybe a nice 1.65 or similar.

It will definitely look larger, but how much larger really.

I notice a difference between my 1.29 and my friend''s 1.5c but it''s not like hers is big and mine is small. The difference is not breathtaking. So my next upgrade is going to hopefully be the elusive 1.85c to miss that 2c price hike...but we''ll see, supply is not happening right about now!!
This is not an upgrade & I totally agree it''s really not worth upgrading for such a small size increase & I wouldn''t do it either. A 1.85 would be worthwhile!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results