shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there a German rating system?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
We''re just back from Berlin. I inquired about an antique reproduction deco ring from a vendor in an auction house. The vendor knew little about the ring, which appeared to be on consignment. The weight and inclusion information was clear enough, but the color description was a variation on white (weiss) rather than the lettering system with which you''ve all made me so familiar. Do the Germans have their own color rating system, if so, what is it? And, in future, where would one look for antique or reproduction rings in Berlin?

Thanks,
Goldenringlets

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Do you mean something like 'slightly tinted white' or 'fine/rare white', 'tinted white or tinted color 1/2/3/4' or exceptional white +'? (I think it should be something like Hochfeines Weiss +, Feines Weiss (+), weiss (+), Leicht getöntes Weiss, Getönt 1/2/3/4) Please pardon my **terrible** spelling, as I don't speak german.
1.gif

If the answer is yes, it looks like he's using CIBJO standards, which are recognized in Europe.
1.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Germans indeed very often use a system with uncommon colour-nominations. These are the German names, and their better known letter-equivalent.

Farbgrade:
River+ (D)
River (E)
Top Wesselton+ (F)
Top Wesselton (G)
Wesselton (H)
Top Crystal (I-J)
Crystal (K-L)
Top Cape (M-N)
Cape (O)
Light Yellow (P-Y)
Yellow (Z)

Live long,

Paul

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Paul, good point. The one you pointed is another good possibility. It would be Scan. D.N.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results