shape
carat
color
clarity

Is the Kimberly process a Whole PILE OF ROT!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Is it effective, does it work, is there any proof that it works or is it just something diamond vendors use to assure our diamonds our conflict free when they are not?

All answers welcome

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is as effective as any rule might be.
Which isn''t 100%.
It does serve to keep the honest honest.
That it is backed up by some pretty harsh laws helps.
Very few people want to risk getting caught up under the anti-terrorism laws that have been passed in a lot of countries.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Sorry if this is a stupid question... But, what is the Kimberly process??

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I have found some previous link here. But wanted to ask if your are talking about anti-terrorism laws imposed since 9/11. I was told that no vendor could guarantee a conflict free diamond and in general its impossible to buy a conflict free diamond. Also that I should be looking at http://www.thegreenerdiamond.org. if I wanted a true conflict free diamond.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Yet another thing to love about antique/secondary market diamonds. At least the damage (if any) has been done.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 9:00:46 PM
Author: sparkles
I have found some previous link here. But wanted to ask if your are talking about anti-terrorism laws imposed since 9/11. I was told that no vendor could guarantee a conflict free diamond and in general its impossible to buy a conflict free diamond. Also that I should be looking at http://www.thegreenerdiamond.org. if I wanted a true conflict free diamond.

Yes the Patriot act in the US and similar laws in England, Israel and the UE.

marketing BS

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 9:00:46 PM
Author: sparkles
This sounds like the guys at the greendiamond.org want your business. I''ve no reason to think there''s anything wrong with the Kimbery Process. Lots of posts, when you search, like this one, and hundreds of others...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is a NGO that watches it like a hawk - GlobalWitness i think.
And there is an audited annual report by an NGO - forgotten who - but it is all public and online somewhwere

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not wanting to start WWIII, but it makes me sick when people ask for a Canadian diamond because they want to protect Africans.
Botswana is the #1 mining country in the world and without diamonds they would have no quality of life.

The biggest current source of illicit diamonds is Zimbabwi, and those diamonds are mainly being mined by Mugabie''s hench men.
Of course there will be a problem with any easily concealed concentrated wealth,

but the same is true of $100 bills - are they evil too?

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I agree with strmrdr. Nothing is 100%, but the strong laws and a desire by the good vendors to stay in compliance greatly helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results