shape
carat
color
clarity

Is the "feel" of rings (sensory) important to anyone else?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I am a person who likes comfortable things against my skin in general. Eg I'm sitting here wearing a cashmere jumper that I've cut the neck label off, and too-loose jeans :) I've realised that this extends to jewellery. As much as I like the look of detailed and prong-set rings, they bother me. I love wearing a smooth plain band (not too tight!) but anything else, I'm itching to get off as soon as I get home. I also don't like the feeling of water being trapped behind a ring when I wash my hands, which seems to be more problematic when wearing more than one ring stacked.

Am I a weirdo, or is anyone else like me? If so, have you got any tips as to the best styles / things to avoid? I am thinking a smooth, low-set bezel for my current sapphire project... maybe a comfort-fit interior... anything else that you find helps? It's a shame to spend all this money on beautiful rings and then just wear a plain band 95% of the time, so I'm hoping I can get this one to be as comfortable as a plain band!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezel/comfort fit sounds like it’ll fit the bill.
I have a different sensory situation - I like a stack bc the rings can’t spin as easily and to me it feels like a finger hug - that’s just me.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I'd notice the feel of most rings too much. So I think how sensitive someone's hands and etc. are just differs.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all, glad to know I'm not alone! I will definitely ask for comfort fit and think I will opt for bezel, and ask the jeweller to make the whole thing as smooth as possible.

Molecule, that's a great thought with channel set - I used to have a (cheap) channel set ring and it was very comfortable. It's scratchy little prongs that get me!

Motownmama that's so interesting - I don't like the "finger hug" feeling, it feels suffocating to me. I like spinning though everyone else hates it :)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t stand water behind my rings so am wearing fewer now. They always come off to be dried after washing my hands! I can always feel the texture of my wedding band (orange blossom band) between my fingers but it’s smooth so it doesn’t bug me. I like comfort fit rings but don’t actually have any cos most everything I have is vintage! So you’re not alone in how you feel.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with comfort-fit if a wide band.

We recently re-made spouse's terrible e-ring into a Tiffany knife-edge knock-off (Tiffany won't do this for low-lifes like me who walk in with their unpedigreed state-school stones). (The original ring was a nice diamond but a sub-$100 placeholder 14K ring that she wore for decades because we were too busy). The Pt knife-edge was handmade by a great metalsmith and is quite beautiful but the edges were sharper and it was a struggle for her to get it off and on even after sizing once or twice. Just found an antique sapphire ring with a super-skinny band that is the right size but slips off and on with no drama. It will be her "new" e-ring and I'm thrilled.

So if comfort is paramount, consider radiusing the inside of the band or at least the edges. And consider a "skinny" band.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks foxinsox and LilAlex. Now I really want to see rings you have both described! Any chance of a photo or a link if already on here? :)

I am laughing at state-school stones!

Foxinsox I also have to take off my ring to dry after washing my hands, or slide it up and down to dry the bit underneath thoroughly. I look at all the gorgeous stacked rings on here, and wonder what the trick is for washing hands with that lot on.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate turtle necks or anything tight around my neck
I love chokers but its hit and miss if they feel nice
i have a costume choker piece that being metal is open at the back and is super comfy
rings im fine with anything so long as they fit
ive heard a barrel ring is the most comfortable ring

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
It’s not weird at all to want to be comfortable. Most men would never tolerate pokey rings with prongs. Or high heels for that matter. So why should we? :confused:

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I am a person who likes comfortable things against my skin in general. Eg I'm sitting here wearing a cashmere jumper that I've cut the neck label off, and too-loose jeans :) I've realised that this extends to jewellery. As much as I like the look of detailed and prong-set rings, they bother me. I love wearing a smooth plain band (not too tight!) but anything else, I'm itching to get off as soon as I get home. I also don't like the feeling of water being trapped behind a ring when I wash my hands, which seems to be more problematic when wearing more than one ring stacked.

Am I a weirdo, or is anyone else like me? If so, have you got any tips as to the best styles / things to avoid? I am thinking a smooth, low-set bezel for my current sapphire project... maybe a comfort-fit interior... anything else that you find helps? It's a shame to spend all this money on beautiful rings and then just wear a plain band 95% of the time, so I'm hoping I can get this one to be as comfortable as a plain band!

Me me me!! I was diagnosed with "sensory issues" at a young age, bc i couldnt bear itchy clothing, tags, anything near my face, etc. Certain rings (too much milgrain esp.) and necklaces like my diamond by the yard have to come off the minute i walk in the door. I also vote for comfort fit and thinner band. I once had a 4mm band and i took it off so often i lost it. I never did find it.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I am glad people have suggested a thinner band. I have always leaned towards more substantial for wedding / engagement rings for fear of wearing them out but now I think about it, I find thinner and lighter bands much easier to wear. Not sure why it didn't occur to me before!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i feel that comfort in jewelry is really important. especially so in a ring as we use our hands for most everything.

i too do not like the feeling of water trapped underneath my rings. although, i make it a point not to remove my rings when washing my hands as i've lost some beautiful and valuable rings by doing just that. i just be sure to dry beneath the ring, thoroughly.

a very low, as in as low as it will go is more comfortable than a higher setting and less prone to getting knocked and bump into things

i like comfort fit band and a setting with prongs on a low set stone that feels smooth when i rub my fingers over them

low bezel settings are not only very comfortable but also are very secure for the stone. i prefer a more open bezel where i can see more of the profile of the stone

i absolutely adore the look of a larger eternity but i cannot wear them as i find them hugely uncomfortable. so they just don't get worn, which to me, is a real pity

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the one ring from the mall jewler i really wish i had brought (id like it in rose gold) its actually the one thing that might still be on my list despite it coming from the mall
P993463-25-1.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not keen on the feel on narrow tight band on my finger, and prefer rings with wider bands.

DK :))

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MillieLou, this is the antique ring I was referring to. It's skinnier than it looks in this picture -- it's a pretty small ring and has been around the block. Not a giant stone.

I think the background will tip off some folks that this came from Inken at Enhoerning. She's amazing to work with. Started with an email along the lines of: "I know this isn't what you were looking for..." Some of our favorite things are things we weren't looking for. I guess that's a motto. =)2

Before seeing the ring, I had considered re-purposing the stone -- but the ring ended up being so pretty and it's unplated white gold and very warm-looking and comfy. Even the underside of the basket follows the "curve" of the ring. Inken offered to refresh it at no charge -- replacing the cracked tiny side diamonds -- but we opted to keep the "door dings."

side view.jpg

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, now that you all mentioned water trapped behind ring/s, I realized I dislike that too hence I normally wear just one ring or max 2 on a single finger, on the left hand. Will try to dry without removing them in public if possible. Used to wear a RHR but stopped, couldn’t stand anything on my working hand. Bearing with bracelet though as I don’t stack any with my watch on the left :)

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Lucida818 oh I absolutely cannot tolerate rings on my right (dominant) hand! I forgot about that one.

I read that some people take off their ring to wash and dry their hands, but wouldn't that mean putting a dirty germ-covered ring back on your clean hands? May be the sorts of yucky environments I work in but I always wash hands thoroughly with them on and then slide them up to dry underneath, easy with one ring but more of a faff with two.

Not worn heels for years! I used to when younger, and found flat shoes very liberating. Just wish there were more comfy but smart choices for women.

@LilAlex wow that ring is absolutely stunning. The colour, design, character - everything is so beautiful. Isn't there a thread on it? Please can I have a front shot at the very least? Does your spouse wear it alongside a wedding band?

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh water under rings is so awful !
Girdles or control top stocking- hate them!
Can't fully give up my heels, tho I mostly wear flats.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex wow that ring is absolutely stunning. The colour, design, character - everything is so beautiful. Isn't there a thread on it? Please can I have a front shot at the very least? Does your spouse wear it alongside a wedding band?

Thank you! Posting again only because you asked -- not trying to hijack. She has a plain (old, $100) 14K YG band that is not very yellow at all -- maybe 4 - 5 mm and nearly twice as "thick" as this ring. They look nice together; the metals don't match, per se, but they do complement. The sapphire is a slightly wonky "native" cut (we tolerate those over in Colored Stones =)2) and it has an issue or two that Inken disclosed but we like the color. The prongs have seen better days and I'm not crazy about the metal peeking out at 12:00 and 6:00 but they are the original fleur de lis and I don't want to wreck it.

front view.jpg

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
:love::love::love:

That is just so beautiful - the stone and setting. You are lucky you got there first because if I had found it I would have got in there for sure. Wow.

Hey it's my thread so you're not threadjacking if I'm begging you for photos :bigsmile:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, count me in this club! I have been wanting to reset for a few years now, and one of the things holding me back is that I can't really try on the settings that I am most interested in. Even if a jeweler offers samples, my finger size is just large enough that the rings won't slide past my knuckle, so I can't really get a feel for... how they'll feel. And that's a very important part of the equation.

It's so frustrating. Everything has to be supremely comfortable - clothes, shoes, jewelry, hair (can't wear my hair up because it hurts), makeup. As a result, I wear clothes that are usually a bit too big, shoes that aren't stylish, no makeup... you get the picture. It sucks.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, yes. This is me. Greg likes to joke I’m on the spectrum because texture and feel are critical for me. I can’t stand so many things touching me. Tags, labels, courdoroy, suede, wool, etc. I am super sensitive. My body gets hives at the slightest touch of anything I don’t like the feel of. It’s crazy.

It’s also why in the house I wear zero bling. And minimal clothes if possible. I keep it warm during the winter. And out of the house I wear minimal bling. All my clothing is supremely comfortable as are my shoes and any undergarments. I often go without a bra for this very reason. No bra is always more comfortable than even the most comfy bra.

My sheets have to be perfectly comfortable as the pillows. I wear a short sleeveless nightie because I enjoy the feel of smooth sheets against my bare skin.

I have always been like this. As a child my mom said I didn’t like anything touching me as most things were itchy to me. Idk I am pretty extreme about feel and sensory inputs. Glad to know I’m not alone!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, count me in this club! I have been wanting to reset for a few years now, and one of the things holding me back is that I can't really try on the settings that I am most interested in. Even if a jeweler offers samples, my finger size is just large enough that the rings won't slide past my knuckle, so I can't really get a feel for... how they'll feel. And that's a very important part of the equation.

It's so frustrating. Everything has to be supremely comfortable - clothes, shoes, jewelry, hair (can't wear my hair up because it hurts), makeup. As a result, I wear clothes that are usually a bit too big, shoes that aren't stylish, no makeup... you get the picture. It sucks.

Haha yes. I wear clothes on the slightly big size. My mom always hated that. Luckily Greg can alter them to be perfectly comfortable for me. I feel you

As for hair yes. Same. I can’t stand it touching my skin though so I wear it back or up and have a challenging time getting the clip comfortable so it doesn’t hurt me. That’s why wig wearing will be especially challenging for me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MillieLou yes to making sure your ring will be super comfortable. Smooth. Bezel. Size fitting but maybe just a little bigger than smaller if you’re like me and hate snug rings. Listen to your heart. Go with comfort and style but never sacrificing comfort.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. Me too. Some things I notice a lot, some I don’t. Comfort is primary. Combine that with lazy and you’ve got me. If it weren’t for my rings getting dirty or me being worried I will damage something my rings would never come off. Hmmmm. Maybe I’m not that sensitive. Just lazy. Ok. Sorry. I’m no help.

My fingers splay out naturally slightly, and they also swell and shrink during the day a lot, so while prongs/knife edge/anything between the fingers doesn’t bother me, I can’t do rings that are too tight. I also always take my rings off to wash my hands which is another reason I need a ring that won’t get stuck on my hand - I put my rings in my pocket or purse before doing something that will get my hands dirty and wash and dry my hands before putting them back on. If for some reason I got my hands dirty with my rings on, I’ll wash my hands, take off the ring, rinse the inside, dry my hands and the ring before putting it back on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results