shape
carat
color
clarity

Is sizing reason enough for a vendor to accept a return?

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
do most vendors allow exchanges or returns based on issues with the fit or sizing of the ring?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Was the ring sized for you to a size that you requested when the ring was purchased?

Have you lost/gained weight since the purchase?

Is the ring one that can be easily sized if not the perfect fit now?

How long have you had the ring?

Do you have special issues that make fitting a ring hard, such as arthritic knuckles?

Was the ring custom made for you or bought "off the rack?"

All of these things can be factors in a return. It will depend on the vendor. If the ring was purchased "off the rack" and not specifically sized for you, you should be able to return it for any reason within the vendor's return policy. If it was a custom job there may be other considerations in the vendor's return policy that must be addressed.

Wink

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Wink|1482344763|4108786 said:
Was the ring sized for you to a size that you requested when the ring was purchased?

Do you have special issues that make fitting a ring hard, such as arthritic knuckles?

All of these things can be factors in a return. It will depend on the vendor. If the ring was purchased "off the rack" and not specifically sized for you, you should be able to return it for any reason within the vendor's return policy. If it was a custom job there may be other considerations in the vendor's return policy that must be addressed.

Wink
ring was sized for me. haven't even gotten it yet, but i'm slightly apprehensive regarding whether it will fit my gf or not as i kind of guessed based on past jewelry purchases.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A few other factors:
1) how much was the ring changed? If it was a small change, it may be much easier to deal wit than if the change was 2 sizes or more
2) the type of ring-- a three stone ring with no pavé can withstand more adjustment as compared to a halo, or a ring with pavé on the shank.

As my buddy Wink suggests- look at the sellers policy page to see what they say

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My experience is that most vendors do not accept a return if the ring as been resized. Most, but not all.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DiamondDense|1482347513|4108792 said:
Wink|1482344763|4108786 said:

Wink
ring was sized for me. haven't even gotten it yet, but i'm slightly apprehensive regarding whether it will fit my gf or not as i kind of guessed based on past jewelry purchases.

If you guessed the size and it is wrong, then you should simply have it resized, at your expense. It is not fair to the vendor to expect him/her to accept a return rather than have the vendor make it the right size for you.

That is strictly my opinion as a vendor of course.

Wink

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wink said:
[quote="Wink|

If you guessed the size and it is wrong, then you should simply have it resized, at your expense. It is not fair to the vendor to expect him/her to accept a return rather than have the vendor make it the right size for you.

Wink

I have a slightly different take about the size error issue. In certain (many) cases, an outside jeweler attempting to adjust a ring they did not manufacture has damaged the ring to the extent a new one needs to be made.
This is particularly true on high end hand forged rings, much less so and simple cast or die struck solitaires.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1482354172|4108818 said:
Wink said:
[quote="Wink|

Wink

I have a slightly different take about the size error issue. In certain (many) cases, an outside jeweler attempting to adjust a ring they did not manufacture has damaged the ring to the extent a new one needs to be made.
This is particularly true on high end hand forged rings, much less so and simple cast or die struck solitaires.

My friend, I said that the vendor should make it the right size for the client, at the client's expense since the vendor already sized it once. In practice, I normally do it at my cost as an additional client service. I would NEVER recommend taking a top of the line ring to just anyone to "practice" upon.

Wink

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Of course you're correct Wink- you never suggested asking someone to use the ring for target practice:)
My apologies for tying to fast without reading.

We also agree that in the event of client error, the client should be responsible for the expense of re-adjusting- but that it should be done by the maker

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1482356505|4108830 said:
Of course you're correct Wink- you never suggested asking someone to use the ring for target practice:)
My apologies for tying to fast without reading.

We also agree that in the event of client error, the client should be responsible for the expense of re-adjusting- but that it should be done by the maker

Yes, and I would be surprised if you did not also normally do it at no charge, just because it is such an excellent time to offer extraordinary customer service.

Wink

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AS usual, we agree Wink.
We do try as hard as possible not to have to charge for incidentals.
But it's also true that after having had many people call and say "I told you to make it size 7 but I am actually a size 4" we have had to institute policies that strongly encourage folks to get it right the first time:)

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It's so nice to see the gracious vendor love this time of year!

Happy Holidays both of you :)

And to you DiamondDense - they're both right, of course.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond|1482349942|4108806 said:
A few other factors:
1) how much was the ring changed? If it was a small change, it may be much easier to deal wit than if the change was 2 sizes or more
2) the type of ring-- a three stone ring with no pavé can withstand more adjustment as compared to a halo, or a ring with pavé on the shank.

1. the ring prongs were altered (not sure how much) to accomadate an oval from a traditional round
2. the sizing error, if any, would be slight. maybe a half size? 1 full size at MOST
3. it's a vatche 1533 pave ring

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond_Hawk|1482358995|4108847 said:
It's so nice to see the gracious vendor love this time of year!

Happy Holidays both of you :)

And to you DiamondDense - they're both right, of course.

A little vendor love coming your way too Diamond Hawk. Hard to disagree with you at this point, but that takes some of the fun out of it!

Say hello to your Bruddah when you see him and we can find things to needle each other about next year.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DiamondDense|1482359425|4108852 said:
A few other factors:

1. the ring prongs were altered (not sure how much) to accomadate an oval from a traditional round
2. the sizing error, if any, would be slight. maybe a half size? 1 full size at MOST

This gives rise to more questions.

Did the store do the modifications, or did Vatche?

If Vatche did the modifications, your vendor will most likely want to send the ring to Vatche for sizing.

If your vendor did the modifications, they may prefer to do the sizing themselves.

These are questions that you will need to ask your vendor.

Wink

P.S. I bet the folks here would love for you to post a link to the design so that they can see what you are getting. As a vendor who sells Vatche rings, I am not allowed to do so.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Wink|1482360146|4108855 said:
DiamondDense|1482359425|4108852 said:
A few other factors:

This gives rise to more questions.

Did the store do the modifications, or did Vatche?

If Vatche did the modifications, your vendor will most likely want to send the ring to Vatche for sizing.

If your vendor did the modifications, they may prefer to do the sizing themselves.

These are questions that you will need to ask your vendor.

Wink

P.S. I bet the folks here would love for you to post a link to the design so that they can see what you are getting. As a vendor who sells Vatche rings, I am not allowed to do so.
vatche did it as far as i know

also - i just posted a thread with a link to the video of the entire ER

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-oval-1-21-g-vs1-from-idj-on-vatche-pave-has-arrived-vid.227627/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-oval-1-21-g-vs1-from-idj-on-vatche-pave-has-arrived-vid.227627/[/URL]

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Warm wishes to you and yours too Brian! We are super lucky to have the community of vendors we have here on PS.

Dense- by all means contact the seller to get the specifics

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I would just ask the vendor how they handle this. With my ring from Whiteflash, they actually do one complimentary (read: free) resizing. So that was pretty nice! I had to send the ring back to them, but I waited a while (after I got married, actually) so it wasn't a big deal.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a beauty!

Definitely one that needs to go back to the vendor if it does not fit. They will be able to get it to fit for you and since the surprise will now be over you can definitely get it for the right size this time.

Wink

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondDense|1482342155|4108780 said:
do most vendors allow exchanges or returns based on issues with the fit or sizing of the ring?

Why would you want to exchange it or return it? They/Vatche can/will just resize it (probably at your cost since you ordered the
wrong size).

Are you wanting to return it and are just looking for a reason? Confused by your question.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, a setting like that ordered from Vatche to be made for your stone in a specific size would not be returnable. I am sorry I didn't see your thread to know whether the setting discussion included advice never to order a pave shank ring without knowing the correct size. If it is just slightly too big, just put sizing beads in until closer to the wedding. Rings are generally loose in the winter and tighter in the summer. Plus they usually fit a little better once the wedding band is added. I'd never size to fit in the winter. If it is slightly too small, then you have no choice but to send it back through the vendor you bought it from and have them send to Vatche to resize.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1482415416|4108962 said:

Why would you want to exchange it or return it? They/Vatche can/will just resize it (probably at your cost since you ordered the
wrong size).

Are you wanting to return it and are just looking for a reason? Confused by your question.

I think this poster doesn't realize that size is not a reason to remake a ring, but that rings can be resized.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It has been my personal experience for a vendor to do a first re-sizing no charge, but that is my experience.
It builds good will!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some rings need to be made for a specific size and have nearly no way to change their size without creating visual problems or less than optimal stone setting issues. Eternity rings and engagement rings with stones all the way around the finger, or engraving all the way around are the main problems. Rings with stones 3/4 or more around the finger also fall into the limited resizing arena. Enamel ornamentation also creates sizing dangers.

Rings made in stock size 6.5 to 7 without the above problems of design generally can be taken down to size 4 and up to quite large sizes with little problem so long as the metal is flexible enough and if the customer has no issue with the ring going slightly out of roundness near the extreme small or large end of the spectrum. Diamonds extending down the shank may limit the sizing down to sizes larger than 4 due to stones getting too loose. With super large or very small diameter fingers, the ring is best made in the range of size for the finger and then can be re-sized easily to fit just right.

Essentially, rings are mostly made to be re-sized, but for a consumer to "guess" the size and then think they are not responsible for re-sizing is ludicrous. There is no need to guess. Get a friend to find out the person's ring size at some jewelry store, "borrow" an existing ring which seems to fit, be creative, but get the size in the ballpark first before making the ring. If you are having a virtually un-sizable ring made, then you MUST get the right size BEFORE ordering so you don't create your own disappointment. If you are ordering a ring which can be re-sized, it is just smarter to get the size right up front, or at the very least, have the ring ordered in a stock size close enough that it can be adjusted in a minor way. The first sizing will generally be on the jeweler, but ordering a ring which can't readily change size specifically to order is an advance confirmation of your commitment to the purchase and likely makes such a custom made item nonreturnable. You can always ask the jeweler if the item you are ordering can be re-sized. If you are basically told "no", then YOU must be dead sure you are ordering the correct size the first time.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1482415416|4108962 said:

wrong size).

i ordered with only loosely knowing the size of the finger. i.e. going off the sizing i've used for rings in the past.

if anything, it might be slightly too big. i guess at this point it's just a hypothetical.

but, no, outside of that one concern i absolutely love it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results