shape
carat
color
clarity

Is round brilliant more expensive than other shapes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

waikay

Rough_Rock
With all specs of a diamond being equal, are round brilliants more expensive than other shapes? I''ve been researching to see what kind of diamond I can get within my budget and it seems I can get more carat on a princess or asscher than a round with all other C''s being equal.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Round brilliants are more expensive than many other shapes, but not all.

Use the link at the top of the page titled 'pricescope your diamond' to enter into the database here. You can look up a stone with whatever specs interest you and you're likely to get dozens or even hundreds of offers. You can then tweak a single spec (like shape) and see how it changes the resulting offers. Spend a few minutes playing this game and you'll quickly get an idea how the various parameters relate to each other and how they affect the prices.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
many times a fancy shape will have the same carat weight as a round and be less expensive but it also has a smaller diameter so the stone will face up smaller than a round of the same weight.

belle posted this chart a while ago that helps to show what I mean. some fancy shapes will look bigger as well..

straightstrap.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, they are pricier per carat than asschers, so forth. BUT they face up smaller. A 1 carat asscher is the same size as a .80 round. So really... unless you are worried about the carat NUMBER and not the size... an you like both shapes the same...you're not saving a ton with an asscher or princess when it comes to spread.

If you want bang for buck... spread and lower cost-- consider an oval... they face up as large as rounds, yet cost less per carat. However they are harder to shop for than rounds... because rounds come with the added bonus of being easy to shop for in comparision to facy shapes.

ETA: I don't know of anywhere that sells a 3.0 H VS asscher for 23K. You are usually talking about a 2-2.5 carat asscher for that price.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
RBs are definitely more expensive than pears, ovals, and marquises of the same weight, generally.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not allways...

Some combinations and sizes in fancy shaped Diamonds command tremendous premiums...

For example: Try ordering a quantity (like a layout consisting of a number of stones) of precision cut fancy shaped diamonds and compare it in value to the same quantity and weight of round shapes...., you will be surprised at the difference.

But usually on a 1 to 1 comparisen, rounds are still more valuable than ordinary fancy shapes....

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Usually they are slightly more expensive, but they face larger than princesses...so it all evens out. Get the shape she wants instead of focusing on the carat weight!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
you can compare the square millimeter size of diamonds, and rounds come out pretty well when the dollars are divided by this figure. Also rounds tend to have better edge light return (especially shallower stones that many people prefer when they are buying in live situations rather than on-line) - so they can look 5% -10% bigger than many fancies with the same surface area

rounds - 1/2 average diameter x 1/2 average diameter x 3.142
princess - L x w
Asscher - L x w less 10% or so for the corners

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results