shape
carat
color
clarity

Is replacing a melee stone a big deal?

pmbspyder

Rough_Rock
So my ring is in with WF having a diamond set, and their team found one of the melee stones shattered in its setting. I told them to go ahead and set the center stone and that I would take it back to where I bought the setting and have them replace the melee stone (WF can't do it anyway as it's not their setting). Is it a big deal to have a melee stone replaced? Will it mess up the other stones and/or prongs? Should I worry about the center stone when I take it back to have the melee replaced? How long does this typically take? Is it like having a ring resized and I can pick it up same day? Thanks for any and all help, you guys have been great at getting me through the rough spots I've encountered in this process!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pmbspyder|1316011783|3017316 said:
So my ring is in with WF having a diamond set, and their team found one of the melee stones shattered in its setting. I told them to go ahead and set the center stone and that I would take it back to where I bought the setting and have them replace the melee stone (WF can't do it anyway as it's not their setting). Is it a big deal to have a melee stone replaced? Depends on the melee - if it's a regular full-cut, not at all. If it's a single cut, french cut... yes, I imagine it's quite the headache Will it mess up the other stones and/or prongs? Not in the hands of the skilled Should I worry about the center stone when I take it back to have the melee replaced? No. Learn to recognize your stone - learn what and where the inclusions are (buy a loupe), your facet pattern, loupe the stone before you hand it over and loupe it again at the store when you receive it, they won't mind at allHow long does this typically take? I've had it done overnight, don't know about your store & policies obviouslyIs it like having a ring resized and I can pick it up same day? Thanks for any and all help, you guys have been great at getting me through the rough spots I've encountered in this process!

pmbspyder

Rough_Rock
thanks for the reply! I think it's a full cut stone, and it's on the topside of one of the shanks (it's split shank). I'm not worried about them switching the center stone, as it will be a WF ACA so it will have the lazer engraving on the girdle. I'm more just worried about them doing something that will cause other stones to loosen, but it sounds like this is something that is fairly commonly done and shouldn't be a big deal. I know this process is supposed to be fun, but evertime I think something is going smoothly I get another curveball :rolleyes: . Thanks for the help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results