shape
carat
color
clarity

Is recutting really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Salekat

Rough_Rock
I have been looking around on the net and people talk about recutting old diamonds and how great they look. They also say that they could crack in the process.

Is the way the diamond will look when it is recut really woth possibly ruining a stone that has been in a family for at least 150 years?

Does anyone know of a cutter I could talk to in the New England area?

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Hi Salecat,

Recutting a diamond is allways risky,... ecpecially if the diamond was used and chipped or hit on the girdle or if the clarity is of lower grade,...
Crack?... It can explode on the cutting wheel!
I can't help you to find a cutter in your area but there is usually at least one in every major city. With the exception of hundreds in NYC.
When you submit the diamond to the cutter , make sure that his equipment is up to date and he owns a tool named polariscope. A good cutter will tell you if the diamond is stressed or not and what are the adds of it exploding on the wheel!,...
Good luck,

George

optimized

Shiny_Rock
I'll leave the comments about the physical risks involved with recutting an older diamond to the many other contributors here, but I thought maybe the perspective of a "closet sentimental old fool" might be helpful to you. My sentimental streak makes me wonder whether recutting an heirloom stone that has been in the family for a century and a half might be a mistake. To my way of thinking, the idea of an heirloom diamond has a lot to do with the "character" of the gem, and recutting would decidedly change that character (and almost make it into a "new" diamond). Rather than just knowing that the diamond has been in the family in some form for 150 years, from a sentimental standpoint I would want to look at my fiancé's finger and have thoughts like, "this is the same thing my great-great grandmother saw when she looked down at her finger."

While it is probable that a diamond cut so long ago isn't anywhere near what we now consider "ideal proportions" (those proportions not even considered until more than half a century after the stone was cut), and thus possibly lacks the brilliance, fire and scintillation that we have become accustomed to, to me the history behind the diamond could very well make up for these perceived optical shortcomings. I would have loved to be able to give my fiancé an heirloom diamond ring (one of my pesky older siblings beat me to the "family jewels" :) ), and I think the value of the diamond as a piece of my family's history would have outweighed any visual shortcomings the diamond might have. My fiancé loves her new "ideal cut" diamond, but she would have equally loved a piece of my family's history.

Besides, as I think about it, I think it would be cool to show the ring and have a good excuse to explain why the diamond doesn't look the same as some newer ones: "It has that unique look to it because it's an 'old European cut' diamond made for my great-great grandfather to give to his girl 150 years ago. They didn't cut them the same way back then, but I guess that just proves the saying, 'they don't make them like they used to.'"

Like I said, it's all just opinion, but I thought you might like the sentimental perspective.

-Tim

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Nicely put Tim!
Actualy Old European Cuts are becoming colectible now a days,..
The value is still lower than the modern cut , but the stone has the unique antique character!...
I know dealers do recut Old European cuts to modern cuts . however this is only done because they would be able to put the stone in their regular inventory.
George

Salekat

Rough_Rock
The more that I think about it, I think that I have to agree with Tim. I guess the whole notion of the "ideal" diamond on my girls finger is just how you look at it (no pun intended). It may not be the best cut one out there but like you said Tim, you can then explain the sentimental value of it. Thanks to all...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results