shape
carat
color
clarity

Is recutting economical?

gemdandy

Shiny_Rock
With diamond prices being what they are, would it make sense to buy a poorly cut diamond and then have it recut into a beautiful diamond? Generally, how much is recutting? How much diamond weight is lost? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Price is about 200usd per 0.5carat and the stone will not be insured. So if it explodes on the grinding wheel, possible event in polishing just not common, there goes your investment.

How much weight loss depends on the present proportion and where and what type of inclusions is present.

I do not think it will be economical, as if it is, the cutter would have cut it that way in the first case.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There ARE people who can make a buck in the cutting business but it's not for the faint of heart and it's usually a bad deal for non-experts. The problem is that if could have been recut and sold for more (or faster), this would have already been done by either the dealer selling it or their supplier. There IS an opportunity to buy from idiots, but usually the idiots don't have the good stuff for sale. They've already been cherrypicked by other folks who recognized the situation. At the same time, there are some savvy folks who will market dreck to you hoping that YOU are the idiot and the sales pitches are slick. Make sure you can tell the difference.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Happy to add a question to this thread: then if a stone has excellent symmetry but only good polish, is it then doable to send a diamond for repolishing? Less risk? Better results?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Possible but most of the time a modern stone was left a less than VG polish is because the diamond has some inclusions, graining or some other problem that prevents it from getting that grade in the first place. So it might not be possible. Older stones may be due to wear/abrasion, those will be more amendable to polish improvement.

Liberty Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
My father is a diamond cutter who learned his trade in South Africa. Most diamonds regardless if poorly cut or not are the way they are for a reason. As most times a re-cut can devalue a stone if it falls under a magic number like re-cutting a 1.04ct to a 0.98ct. Regardless if the quality was improved, it will be worth less as a sub-carater than a full carat. So not suggested as you will be taken a risk.
The way to do it is to find a broken or chipped diamond and have it re-cut, or as a diamond purist I cringe when one wants to modernize an older cut. Though that's the perfect candidates for re-cuts, as you will always pay less for a broken/chipped diamond and antique diamonds. Good luck finding the deal!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i'll gamble on a recut if i can find a cheap GIA graded stone.

Liberty Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
Also as I have an extensive knowledge of diamond cutters, I do not no one that can "Guarantee" and Excellent polish? The only guy on my coast who Guaranteed it was demanding to send the diamond to GIA directly him-self. Low and behold he was just caught switching the diamonds he was sending!!! Beware of cutters who wants to submit the diamond to GIA themselves.

If anyone knows a good honest cutter that can "Guarantee" an Excellent Polish, Please let me know!!!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
The cost is around 350/ct. Not every stone is a good candidate. It needs to be carefully evaluated and the clarity pretty good. I went from 2.24 to 2.06 and while not a full makeover, it looks amazing. The jeweler originally advised taking the stone down to 1.70 for best performance but we wanted to keep it over 2ct.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
[quote="Liberty Diamonds|1310696817|2969348"
The way to do it is to find a broken or chipped diamond and have it re-cut, or as a diamond purist I cringe when one wants to modernize an older cut. Though that's the perfect candidates for re-cuts, as you will always pay less for a broken/chipped diamond and antique diamonds. Good luck finding the deal![/quote]
This.
I bought chipped oec for 4600 and spent 850 recutting resulting in a lovely 2.06 L vs2 worth maybe 14,000 in today's market.

Search for my thread called singlestone repolish results

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've heard since the marquise cut was so popular a generation ago compared to now you may find some cheap, recut them as pears, and sell them at a profit even with the weight loss.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results