shape
carat
color
clarity

Is PS "real" for you?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this is an online forum and not real life so to speak. However, I have made a few good friends here that have transferred to my real life and I cherish these friendships. And I truly like the PS community.

Initially I came for the bling but I stayed for a whole lot more.

My question is how do you view PS? Is it just an online community where you can obtain great info about bling and other topics or is it a place you look forward to visiting as you would look forward to visiting with friends? Is it real for you in that sense or is it just an online forum for you?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For me it began as a place where I could learn more and ask questions about colored stones as my gem obsession was growing, kinda like an information database. I've been here for a little over a year now and while I am still learning here every day about stones, the social aspect of PS has been nothing short of eye-opening compared to other websites that are just online forums to me. There's other websites I post on that have members only from Australia and I have no desire to meet the majority of them, yet I wish the majority of the PS collective weren't on the other side of the world so I could go to a GTG! I still have to meet the president of my fan club (Kenny) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I probably spend too much time on here lurking threads but all the awesome people here keep me coming back. Whenever my friends hear about this being a forum I post on they give me weird looks since they're into fishing, music and forgetting where they put their phone after a long weekend of drinking at the football :roll:

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No. If I'm honest, I find the PS community to be very cliquish. I enjoy hangout threads and debating points I wouldn't discuss with people in my real life, and I love RT and lurk (but don't contribute much), but I certainly don't think of PS as real in my life. It's a mindless distraction.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's more than just a forum for me.

I look forward to visiting because the discussions are so varied - and because I've come to feel like it's my online "home". I think about the people here even though I don't know them in real life - meaning if someone posts something that they're having a problem with, or are sad about, etc., I will often remember about it and want to know how they're doing - or if they post something they're happy about it's nice to hear about it and I feel happy for them.

And I am always amazed at how helpful people here can be to each other.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1457530298|4001985 said:

I look forward to visiting because the discussions are so varied - and because I've come to feel like it's my online "home". I think about the people here even though I don't know them in real life - meaning if someone posts something that they're having a problem with, or are sad about, etc., I will often remember about it and want to know how they're doing - or if they post something they're happy about it's nice to hear about it and I feel happy for them.

I wish I felt like this about PS. I used to be part of an infertility forum in my early 20s and it really was an online home for me like you've described. I just have never really felt like I clicked with anyone here, but I love diamonds and I've been lurking so long it's basically a habit now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I feel the same way CJ.

jordyonbass said:
For me it began as a place where I could learn more and ask questions about colored stones as my gem obsession was growing, kinda like an information database. I've been here for a little over a year now and while I am still learning here every day about stones, the social aspect of PS has been nothing short of eye-opening compared to other websites that are just online forums to me. There's other websites I post on that have members only from Australia and I have no desire to meet the majority of them, yet I wish the majority of the PS collective weren't on the other side of the world so I could go to a GTG! I still have to meet the president of my fan club (Kenny) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I probably spend too much time on here lurking threads but all the awesome people here keep me coming back. Whenever my friends hear about this being a forum I post on they give me weird looks since they're into fishing, music and forgetting where they put their phone after a long weekend of drinking at the football :roll:

Yes and don't forget Jordy, you promised to help me move to your country...and if Trump becomes president I will be taking you up on that offer... :lol:

liaerfbv said:
No. If I'm honest, I find the PS community to be very cliquish. I enjoy hangout threads and debating points I wouldn't discuss with people in my real life, and I love RT and lurk (but don't contribute much), but I certainly don't think of PS as real in my life. It's a mindless distraction.

Hi liaerfbv, I'm sorry that is your experience but glad you do enjoy PS. I enjoy hangout most of all and debating issues but I also discuss these issues IRL with my non PS friends too.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS to me is a way to feel more connected to people without the real life obligations. So I can come and read and socialize and not feel isolated since I'm by myself a lot of the time and I can just come and go as I please with no explanations or hurt feelings.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1457531176|4001990 said:

I wish I felt like this about PS. I used to be part of an infertility forum in my early 20s and it really was an online home for me like you've described. I just have never really felt like I clicked with anyone here, but I love diamonds and I've been lurking so long it's basically a habit now.

Oh :blackeye:

Sorry to hear that liaerfbv...

I can see that it's one of those things that is so personal and subjective...but I hope to see you around hangout and see your posts :wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have made friends and helped people on and off the boards from here, and some wonderful people from here have helped me..... I think the community is mostly great. When I am stressed about something in my real life it's a great place to come, relax and drool at jewels. So for me it works both as a real world escape and as a place where I also really know and like many of the members.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and no. It's a great place to discuss gems, jewellery and current events, but it is not an avenue where I am willing to discuss personal and family matters. I have, however, met many wonderful PSers in person, exchanged contacts and we've become great friends offline.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think PS is such a wonderful place for bling :love: Some of the discussions are maybe online - but maybe in a good way because people may be more open online than in real life, because you don't have to defend your opinions (?). The people here are very real in my opinion. And very open, warm and helpful. So PS now. Friends and potential friends - yes. And as a bling newspaper - hard to beat ;-) LOL :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I join PS looking for a rich "Sugar Mama"... :naughty:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It cant be real - people with 5ct diamonds?! This doesn't exist in my life!

I joined initially because I had an interest in diamonds and wanted to expand my knowledge. I've stuck around mostly because I actually love helping people with their diamond purchases (and a smaller note their proposals, no one is ever on that board so I always take a cruise by). I love seeing the handshots and hearing how HAPPY the couple is, and knowing that they got an amazing diamond and didn't get ripped off by a friend/mall/etc.

I always love discussing controversial topics, so that's always interesting. I think different POVs are integral to a community, so I'm happy to share mine even if the majority doesn't agree :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the info for diamonds and colored stones on PS. Many members are very helpful and knowledgeable.

I go to the Hangout for the cool discussions and lately to get insight on how the Left thinks since most of the PS members lean that way. It is interesting in a non-threatening way. I live in an area (and state) that is conservative and do not have exposure to the liberal way of thinking on a day to day basis. It is fascinating to me. The fact that there are members from all over the world is a plus also.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.

I've met lovely people through PS - people I'm honoured to call "friends" on- and off-forum ::)

It didn't become real for me until I started meeting people IRL, though. I remember my first GTG: a small gathering in NYC - I remember being half-shocked that these people I was having scones with were actually people, not... bots and drones and automatons :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS is real.
It is a real forum.
People who post here are real people.

Is it the same as physically interacting with family, neighbors, coworkers and friends?
Of course not.
It's a technology thing.
It's like a party-line that uses the written word instead of talking on a phone, and where the entire world can join in.

So I'm kind of perplexed by your question, "Is PS 'real" for you?"
PS is what it is.
Missy, would you care to elaborate on what you mean by the question?

Perhaps you are asking how each of us feel about PS, or what it means to us. :confused:
I'm certain nobody here mistakes PS for real life.
But is is a real Internet forum.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a forum as sort of an interactive TV show.

You watch and get entertained, feel sadness, happiness, love, hate, conflict, drama ...
But YOU are a character in the show, and some story lines are about others' or your real life.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found PS when I had issues with my original engagement ring some years back. The help here was fantastic & opinions on jewellery issues & ideas was invaluable.

I love the SMTB thread & look forward to happy proposals & handshots.

I also visit Hangout every couple of days. Whilst I don't tend to comment on most debates because they are related mostly to US situations & I am English, I get quite engrossed in watching the discussions unfold. It's educational! I have also had amazing support with a couple of personal issues in Hangout.

So although this forum is very detached from my real life, it is certainly a PART of my real life. I look forward to checking in, like to know that everyone is healthy & well & like to offer support if they're not. Some members here I know I would be friends with in my real life should my geography be closer. And because this forum is detached from my real life, I value the honesty that I may not get face to face with people who are part of my real life :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Participating in this form and collecting jewelry are my hobbies, but I have real friends that I have met here. There are a couple of friends that I am in contact with often (like multiple times a week), and many others who I am in occasional contact with either by email or on social media. I think many of us who consider gems and jewelry as a hobby have no one local to us who relates to that, so it is great fun having friends who share the same interests!

I have met a few PSers locally, but I have been to the PS Get-together in Las Vegas twice, and I just had a terrific visit to Whiteflash with some great PSers in February. I think we'll make an effort to go to antique shows or other PS get-togethers over the coming years.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1457553235|4002178 said:
PS is real.
It is a real forum.
People who post here are real people.

Is it the same as physically interacting with family, neighbors, coworkers and friends?
Of course not.
It's a technology thing.
It's like a party-line that uses the written word instead of talking on a phone, and where the entire world can join in.

So I'm kind of perplexed by your question, "Is PS 'real" for you?"
PS is what it is.
Missy, would you care to elaborate on what you mean by the question?

Perhaps you are asking how each of us feel about PS, or what it means to us. :confused:
I'm certain nobody here mistakes PS for real life.
But is is a real Internet forum.

I love that you said it's like a party line, pretty right on.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS is one of my favourite ways to waste time.

It has good and bad bits, and I get on with some people more than the others, as in I would avoid certain posters' threads and posts, whereas I would actively seek out those posted by the PSers that I like and respect.

Just like other boards that I frequent.

DK :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1457529957|4001981 said:
No. If I'm honest, I find the PS community to be very cliquish.

I don't see cliquishness.

Sure, some people who are in agreement about lots of things are just in agreement about lots of things ... perhaps that could be viewed as a clique to a person holding different views.

But my view is people just vary and it doesn't matter or mean anything when people agree or disagree with me about anything.
Sure it's nice when someone posts a +1 to my post, but really I don't feel that much differently towards that poster than I do towards those have reported my posts that got me banned.

We are all just a bunch of different people hanging out together.
Actually difference the energy that fuels a good Internet forum.

Just be your authentic self.
Some will like you, some won't.
It doesn't matter.

Like beauty or snobbery, I think cliquishness is in the the eye of the beholder, not the beheld.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For all the boards I participated, there is always someone somewhere that cries "it's cliquey!".

Be bold and join in, that's what I did. Never experienced cliquiness to be honest.

If I get blanked, then I get blanked, so what? I do not rely on others to respond or acknowledge any of my post in order to live or survive!

DK :))

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To clarify, I didn't mean I think PS has been "cliquish" towards me in particular. I generally don't care if people like me or not, and I don't really have an interest in forming friendships with anyone here offline. Maybe that would change if I spent more time here or posted more, I don't know. If I see a topic I'm interested in, I will reply. My observation is that a newer user will chime in to a thread, and no one will respond to them, and posters continue to reply to their friends. It's human nature, sure. But in my years reading here, I do think PS is a hard place to "break into" for new users and I do think the same people reply and comment on each other's threads while ignoring newer users. Take that however you like.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is human nature to tend to respond to posters that one is more familiar with than to respond to posters that one doesn't "know". I see this in other forums that I frequent, and thus don't see it as "cliquish".

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a real place with real people.

Real people who love diamonds! :appl:

No one in my three-dimensional world would understand if I confessed how I feel about diamonds.

I stumbled across PS when googling diamond rings. I was amazed at the information and knowledge shared on Rocky Talk, speechless at the beautiful rings shared on Show Me the Bling, and loved learning about the respected vendors mentioned here. I've spent an embarrassing amount of time reading articles and watching videos posted by the wonderful vendors, and trying to determine my personal preference regarding diamonds and settings (an incredibly difficult and lengthy process because everything here is amazing!).

It was a long time before I even clicked on Diamond Hangout, although I'm visiting regularly now. Even though I don't often participate, the variety of topics is quite interesting and I enjoy reading the various opinions. To me, the PS community is not only 'real', but also caring and supportive. When I read about people facing challenging situations, I care, want to offer support if I think I can add something of value, and check back hoping to find an update stating how things are going. It matters to me. These are real people.

PS has provided me with knowledge, laughs and, at times, a much-needed distraction from some of life's serious issues. And I like reading the care and support PS members offer each other; I interpret that as confirmation that most people are good. :))

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've met some great people, been introduced to things I'd never be introduced to in my life, here, been exposed to things here that I'd not be exposed to, here. I've talked to a couple PSers on the phone, London and I are talking about flying out to visit another over the summer. I talk w/others online. I'd probably not attend a GTG. I don't think I'd feel comfortable enough, even having been a part of the community this long.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, it was really changed. I have met some amazing women offline but I don't feel as strong of a connection to the site as I once did.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS is totally real to me (although I have never met anyone from here IRL unfortunately!) I've been a member for a long time and although I don't have much to contribute - I've learnt a hell of a lot. :read: No one in my real life has such bling or enthusiasm for gemstones so PS is a real haven for me to explore & discuss these subjects. For the most part I've found it to be welcoming & kind, full of helpful thoughtful people from a wide variety of countries & backgrounds. It's a pleasure for me to be here. :D

stifler

Rough_Rock
For me now, this is the place to learn new things and meet new "virtual" friends. :angel:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results