shape
carat
color
clarity

Is PS "real" for you?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,225
missy|1457527323|4001972 said:
I know this is an online forum and not real life so to speak. However, I have made a few good friends here that have transferred to my real life and I cherish these friendships. And I truly like the PS community.


Initially I came for the bling but I stayed for a whole lot more.


I could have written this. I have some AMAZING real life friends I've met through here. And it is a community and I like contributing. It is real to me in that sense.
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
54,320
kenny|1457553235|4002178 said:
PS is real.
It is a real forum.
People who post here are real people.

Is it the same as physically interacting with family, neighbors, coworkers and friends?
Of course not.
It's a technology thing.
It's like a party-line that uses the written word instead of talking on a phone, and where the entire world can join in.

So I'm kind of perplexed by your question, "Is PS 'real" for you?"
PS is what it is.
Missy, would you care to elaborate on what you mean by the question?

Perhaps you are asking how each of us feel about PS, or what it means to us. :confused:
I'm certain nobody here mistakes PS for real life.
But is is a real Internet forum.

Hi Kenny, yes, I am asking what PS means to you and how important it is to you. As I wrote I always look forward to checking in with PS. It is an internet forum but it touches my real life (outside of the forum) in many ways. Most of all having made some close and important relationships with PSers that extend to my real life. But also connecting with others here who I have yet to meet IRL but who I have come to care about and who mean more to me than anonymous online strangers if that makes sense.

Like Packie I am hesitant to go to a big GTG because I think it would be overwhelming for me as it would be too many people at once and I am more of a one on one/or a smaller gathering type of person. But perhaps one day as I genuinely like and appreciate many of the people here.
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
38,364
I've not attended any GTGs for the same reasons; it would stress me out with it being such a large group. I have, however, enjoyed the smaller gatherings that ranged from 2 to 8 people.
 

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
13,166
Pricescope feels real to me in that it is populated with people whose opinions, ideas, and insights I value and respect, and as Missy said, it is a community that I very much look forward to participating in.

I took a step back from PS a few years ago for a number of reasons, the first being that I had a son and took a three-semester leave from work to be home with him. During my leave I wasn't on the computer very often, though I did miss checking PS and engaging with all the fabulous folks here. Then, we ended up incurring some unexpected debt related to my husband's business, so I stayed away because we spent about a year buckling down on our finances to make sure we didn't end up with long-term debt of any kind. I don't know about anyone else, but PS is very real to me in that it triggers my desire to start a new jewelry project. It was hard to stay away, but my fear of debt won over my love of bling. :angel:

PSers are real people in my mind, and this is a real community to me. I have only attended on GTG, it was years ago in Chicago and Andrey was in attendance. Perhaps that experience helped shape PS as a real community in my mind, who knows.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
33,444
missy|1457606794|4002535 said:
Hi Kenny, yes, I am asking what PS means to you and how important it is to you. As I wrote I always look forward to checking in with PS. It is an internet forum but it touches my real life (outside of the forum) in many ways. Most of all having made some close and important relationships with PSers that extend to my real life. But also connecting with others here who I have yet to meet IRL but who I have come to care about and who mean more to me than anonymous online strangers if that makes sense.

Thanks Missy. :wavey:

To me PS means connection with a much more interesting, diverse, and intelligent group of people than I have IRL.
Most of us tend to surround ourselves with people who are similar to us.
Nothing wrong with that per se, but I find that limiting and stifling.
I like being challenged and getting feedback, good or bad. (though I do keep a couple on ignore)

I'm on a few fora, and the tone of each varies considerably.
Some are brutal, having no moderation beyond spam and ****.
Another forum has a rule of no personal insults.
That one is a joke.
It's a riot to watch the hypocrites holding their daggers with their pinkies extended while they stab each other in the neck.
BTW, that forum is the most politically liberal and has the most highly-educated demographic of all my fora.
A bit of that happens here, and while it's a joy to behold, it's nothing like this other forum.


Internet **** is a controversial topic, but what is not controversial is the massive amount of online traffic for ****.
Playboy even announced they are going to remove the naked women from their magazines since free **** has flooded the world.
Agenda-driven statistics vary wildly, but BBC reports from 4 to 37% of web searches are for ****. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-23030090
Why?
Though monogamy is often held up as proper and zillions strive to live that way, one real-life physical partner is not adequate for the desires of zillions.

I feel that way about socializing.
The real people in my life can't satisfy my hunger for interaction.
I'm an introvert so I usually prefer to be alone in a room than with others, but I still crave the intellectual stimulation of contact.
Enter the Internet.
PS gives me that with a very interesting group of people.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
33,444
I've been to GTGs and have met some dear wonderful people.
I've also be bashed and badly burned by one very nasty piece of work.

She's why I doubt I'd attend another GTG or Vegas event.
 

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 1, 2014
Messages
3,769
I've 'met' terrific people here on PS, including people who became valued friends! :wavey:

One thing about PS and in particular the Hangout: No matter WHAT my problem du jour might be (bad haircut/who cuts their own hair?; window coverings; legal aspects of aging parents; etc) there are wise and experienced PS-ers who have been down that road and kicked its a$$ and share that expertise with me. Hangout is my Go-To place to ask for advice. I highly respect the people in Hangout and I've benefited many times from sharing a problem and hearing from those who have time to post and share.

GTGs. I'm not far from Las Vegas and I've been considering coming in June.

I also look forward to some focused trips to get together with my Hangout peeps---I had the pleasure of having lunch with Marcy last year and seeing her icy fireball of a rock! We had a good time, even had our DHs with us and they had a nice time too!

I would be very very sad if PS ceased to be. What an amazing group of people from all over, who, as MIssy wrote came for the bling but stayed for a whole lot more.
 

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,750
Like Packie I am hesitant to go to a big GTG because I think it would be overwhelming for me as it would be too many people at once and I am more of a one on one/or a smaller gathering type of person. But perhaps one day as I genuinely like and appreciate many of the people here.

Same here...

Plus I am a very private person IRL and not "knowing" anybody in person I think allows me to be more honest sometimes. With myself and with others.

I also think there's a certain "fantasy" as to who people are that we have in our minds. I don't know that I want to test that. I like it this way.

But I'd be MOST tempted to meet someone if it was a one on one.
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
19,331
It's not as real for me as it was when I first joined. A couple years in I was living in the Chicagoland area and met up with some PSrs at gem shows and even met Andrey and his wife and another PSr for lunch or something out in the 'burbs once. A couple years ago I met another PSr while I was out West for work. All really cool people. I am OK with small groups and one-on-ones but I'll probably never do the Vegas GTG. Not big on Vegas, for one, and the timing is never good for me for several reasons. I always enjoy reading about it, though!

Also, Hi Haven! You've been missed! :wavey:
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
33,444
CJ2008|1457642431|4002853 said:
I also think there's a certain "fantasy" as to who people are that we have in our minds. I don't know that I want to test that. I like it this way.

I'm just as devastatingly-handsome as you fantasize I am during your ... uhm ... private special moments. :Up_to_something: :naughty: :Up_to_something: :naughty: :Up_to_something: :naughty:
 

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
4,602
It's real for me. I started over at the Bride World Wide forum when it used to be very active. I loved it over there!! We supported one another through everything, helped each other pick wedding dresses, invitations, shoes, flowers. We shared our happy moments and tragedies.

And then, when all was said and done, we all shared photos of our weddings!!! Such fun!!!

I think sharing photos of ourselves made the people and this place more "real" for me.

I am so sad that the Bride's forum is so slow now. I love looking at wedding photos. I feel that so many women are missing out on a great community.

The people in hangout are very kind too. 8) This is actually the kindest forum I have found on the net. People can clash pretty easily when the feel anonymous. People here try very hard to be supportive, or maybe they don't try, but they are naturally supportive. Either way, this is a nice place to hang out.
 

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
12,579
I intend to attend a big PS GTG one day, hopefully in 2018.

DK :))
 

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
4,784
Not really. I mean, the people are real to me but I don't take it quite as seriously as real life. It doesn't matter at all what people here think of me because it's all completely anonymous. I've posted too much jewelry to reveal my real identity to anyone connected with PS. That's also why I don't sell jewelry online - Looptroupe etc. I don't want anyone knowing my name or address. It's probably different for posters here who all know each other and socialize with each other in real life. I remember being surprised when I learned how close some people here are. I had thought that we were all anonymous.
 

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
12,658
You're as real as your gorgeous Bea, Missy. And AZ. And many others. Never thought I would find such GOOD people and GOOD friends on an Internet forum...but there you go. Certain people have impacted my life in a very significant way. You know who you are. It's been a blessing to me. Yes, PS is real, but the people behind the names even more so.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,225
Chrono|1457619215|4002664 said:
I've not attended any GTGs for the same reasons; it would stress me out with it being such a large group. I have, however, enjoyed the smaller gatherings that ranged from 2 to 8 people.


Chrono, I have attended several small GTG's here in the Bay Area, and really had a great time at them. So I went to the Vegas GTG's. I loved the first 2 Vegas GTG's. They were smaller and more intimate. The last one I attended was huge. People wore cocktail dresses and heels and it was like a huge blur of light and sound and small talk. And it did stress me out, and I honestly didn't have as good a time at all. I was fortunate that I had my close real life friends (who are Psers) around me and we just kind of stayed together most of the night. But still. I have not attended another as a result. I don't like big parties where everyone is a blur of faces and I can't remember at the end of the night who I talked to or what was said.
 

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
22,148
monarch64|1457643274|4002869 said:
Also, Hi Haven! You've been missed! :wavey:

Yes. Hi, Haven. I was very happy when I saw your logo appear. I am sorry that your finances drove you away. Somehow when mine drop drastically and I feel that buying jewelry is out of the question, I still manage to remain on Pricescope! Maybe it's because I post mainly in political threads, but I'm not sure. I always want more gold jewelry and I have wished to upgrade to a three-carat diamond solitaire for some time now. (It's not going to happen!) Yet here I am!!!

Deb :wavey:
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
54,320
LLJsmom|1457683006|4003280 said:
You're as real as your gorgeous Bea, Missy. And AZ. And many others. Never thought I would find such GOOD people and GOOD friends on an Internet forum...but there you go. Certain people have impacted my life in a very significant way. You know who you are. It's been a blessing to me. Yes, PS is real, but the people behind the names even more so.

Aww thank you LLJsmom and I feel the same way about you sweetheart and you know who else. You girls are very real and the best and I love you. (((Hugs))).


Gypsy said:
Chrono|1457619215|4002664 said:
I've not attended any GTGs for the same reasons; it would stress me out with it being such a large group. I have, however, enjoyed the smaller gatherings that ranged from 2 to 8 people.


Chrono, I have attended several small GTG's here in the Bay Area, and really had a great time at them. So I went to the Vegas GTG's. I loved the first 2 Vegas GTG's. They were smaller and more intimate. The last one I attended was huge. People wore cocktail dresses and heels and it was like a huge blur of light and sound and small talk. And it did stress me out, and I honestly didn't have as good a time at all. I was fortunate that I had my close real life friends (who are Psers) around me and we just kind of stayed together most of the night. But still. I have not attended another as a result. I don't like big parties where everyone is a blur of faces and I can't remember at the end of the night who I talked to or what was said.

Yeah this is why I have not attended any of the GTGs despite really wanting to meet some PSers who I have not yet met IRL. I would get overwhelmed and not enjoy it. Though there are many PSers I would love to meet in a more intimate and quiet setting. Preferably around big bling. :lol: :halo:
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
54,320
kenny|1457628943|4002753 said:
I've been to GTGs and have met some dear wonderful people.
I've also be bashed and badly burned by one very nasty piece of work.

She's why I doubt I'd attend another GTG or Vegas event.

Ugh, sorry you had such an unpleasant experience Kenny. :(( Of course I am curious as to who this person is but well like my cats I know curiosity can kill... Does she still post here?
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
54,320
Haven|1457628284|4002747 said:
Pricescope feels real to me in that it is populated with people whose opinions, ideas, and insights I value and respect, and as Missy said, it is a community that I very much look forward to participating in.

I took a step back from PS a few years ago for a number of reasons, the first being that I had a son and took a three-semester leave from work to be home with him. During my leave I wasn't on the computer very often, though I did miss checking PS and engaging with all the fabulous folks here. Then, we ended up incurring some unexpected debt related to my husband's business, so I stayed away because we spent about a year buckling down on our finances to make sure we didn't end up with long-term debt of any kind. I don't know about anyone else, but PS is very real to me in that it triggers my desire to start a new jewelry project. It was hard to stay away, but my fear of debt won over my love of bling. :angel:

PSers are real people in my mind, and this is a real community to me. I have only attended on GTG, it was years ago in Chicago and Andrey was in attendance. Perhaps that experience helped shape PS as a real community in my mind, who knows.


Haven, I'm sorry you went through some challenging financial times and I hope things are much improved. I hope you will come here more often and post. I always loved to hear what you had to say and always enjoyed your posts.

I don't buy much bling these days but spend lots of time here still LOL. Hangout is one of my favorite places though Show Me The Bling doesn't suck. 8)
But then again I am not really tempted these days to buy bling so the fact that I don't want to spend money isn't a problem for me but I can see where it would be a problem if it was tempting .

Anyway I have missed you and hope you will visit here more. (((Hugs))).
 

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,750
kenny|1457644977|4002900 said:
CJ2008|1457642431|4002853 said:
I also think there's a certain "fantasy" as to who people are that we have in our minds. I don't know that I want to test that. I like it this way.

I'm just as devastatingly-handsome as you fantasize I am during your ... uhm ... private special moments. :Up_to_something: :naughty: :Up_to_something: :naughty: :Up_to_something: :naughty:

kenny! :shock:

and :lol:
 

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 8, 2003
Messages
5,565
When I signed on 13 yrs. ago, it was for the pleasure of talking about diamonds and jewelry, but at this point, it has become so much more. While I still enjoy talking about my favorite subject, I have made SO MANY wonderful friendships through these pages. As it turns out, this crazy thing called "social networking" that our admins were so frightened of years ago, has truthfully, in so many very real ways, enriched my life and our life as PSers. I can now count 20 to 30 (truthfully, even more) people I met here on these pages, as some of the most precious friends in my life. They have become very special, irreplaceable people to me and they enrich my life in so many different ways, I can't even explain.

It's funny that all those years ago, I realized there was a core group of people here who literally *were* Pricescope. They were some of the original members, they were all upstanding, well respected people, their opinions counted and I thought "I'll never be lucky enough to know them or be personal friends with them". How very silly of me to think that way. All these years later, they are the most valuable friends I have and I couldn't imagine my life without them.

Yes, Pricescope is VERY real.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
33,444
missy|1457701230|4003338 said:
kenny|1457628943|4002753 said:
I've been to GTGs and have met some dear wonderful people.
I've also be bashed and badly burned by one very nasty piece of work.

She's why I doubt I'd attend another GTG or Vegas event.

Ugh, sorry you had such an unpleasant experience Kenny. :(( Of course I am curious as to who this person is but well like my cats I know curiosity can kill... Does she still post here?

You are a curious kitty. :sun:
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
54,320
kenny|1457807587|4004015 said:
missy|1457701230|4003338 said:
kenny|1457628943|4002753 said:
I've been to GTGs and have met some dear wonderful people.
I've also be bashed and badly burned by one very nasty piece of work.

She's why I doubt I'd attend another GTG or Vegas event.

Ugh, sorry you had such an unpleasant experience Kenny. :(( Of course I am curious as to who this person is but well like my cats I know curiosity can kill... Does she still post here?

You are a curious kitty. :sun:


Meeoow. 8)

the_beautiful_francesca.jpg
 

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 1, 2009
Messages
10,295
PS is very real for me. I have been super busy with a job I can't use internet at (I deliver mail and packages at,a large company in my area so am walking/pulling a cart most of the day and loading/unloading the rest.) I miss being around as much as I had been.

The ladies (and guys!) here are very real to me and when I mention something to a person I am speaking with face to face, I refer to you all as friends. This is where I come when I am happy, excited, sad, scared, or just looking to see how my friends are. I check anxiously for updates on all of your good and bad life situations and truly care how you are.
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
54,320
Ha it is very real to me. Just yesterday when my dh and I were out strolling about we ran into one of my all time favorite PSers! First time meeting her IRL. So yes PS is real in many ways!
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top