shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Platinum the preferred metal for this type of setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockshock

Rough_Rock
My gf likes this setting(credit to Claude Thibeaudeau) because so much of the diamond is visible.

I''m wondering about the safety of the diamond and knowing that gold is the most malleable substance has me concerned that it may not be strong enough to hold the diamond.

Am I out to lunch?

Also, if any one knows of similar settings that show off the diamond, I would appreciate any links.

Thanks.

catg11.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ROCKSCHOCK:

The tension mountings can actually cover more of the girdle than other types of settings, thus resulting in a little better protection than some prong settings.The precious metals are especially hardened by what is referred to as 'work-hardening'. This work hardening is accomplished by pressure or by thermal treatment. This special treatment to the precious metal results in the precious metal having a certain springiness which will grip the diamond without the necessity of a bezel or claws. The diamond is basically (PRESSURE SET) pressed by the girdle on each side by the ends of the ring. Each metal end has a small groove called the 'seat' into which a small section of the girdle fits. These settings are very secure.

With all this in mind you are left choosing which metal your girlfriend likes the most. I hope this helps..

Josh Rioux
Sitka,Alaska
16.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gorgeous setting btw...

-Josh RIoux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

tower

Rough_Rock
I ordered from Thibaudeau and while we love the overall look of the ring we aren't happy with the customer service. We also almost lost the diamond. I ordered the PLT-1207 but had them modify it to take out the gold tubing under the diamond. Within a week the diamond came loose. Our ring is platinum but unlike Gelin and Abaci they don't really do the thermal pressure setting. They screwed our ring up by not sealing the end of the groove if you will and the emerald cut wanted to slide out one end. We sent it back and after much discussion and wrangling with them they resealed the "groove". Under a loupe it looks amateurish, very surprising for the high quality they seem to put out. We're thinking of going back to them one more time and asking for a partial refund or for it to be recast or some other solution.
Drew

rockshock

Rough_Rock
Tower,

Thanks for the feedback. I've actually gone to a local jeweller to create a ring similar in style to one of the designs on CT's website.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems - I don't believe you are alone. Did you send the diamond to CT to have them create the ring around it, or are they local to you? Do you think the size of the diamond has any bearing on the likelihood of the diamond falling out? I would have thought an emerald shape would have been more secure than a round brilliant (which is what we have) because there is more surface area in contact.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results