shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Platinum cast like gold??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VolvoGuy

Rough_Rock
I know that gold rings can be waxed up and casted. I am looking at an engagement ring but I would like to wax the wedding band myself and have it cast in platinum if that is possible? Is it??

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Sort of... Gold is usually cast using a centrifical casting unit that spins horizontally but platinum spins veritically unless you're casting it in a commercial unit... We send ours out to a casting house which is a lot safer and more cost effective
2.gif

PlatinumDiamond

Shiny_Rock
>>>> Sort of... Gold is usually cast using a centrifical casting unit that spins horizontally but platinum spins veritically unless you're casting it in a commercial unit... <<<<

Yes, I have heard that this is how it is done as well.
I would love to see this type or work being done in person some day!

DavidEmslie

Shiny_Rock
Gold can also be cast either spin cast or via vacume.

Platinums melting point is over 1000 degress more than gold,
the mold for the Pt requires a much higher temp, and a special investment mold that solidifies.

Platinum must be literlty sling-shot into the mold with a high speed spring loaded arm...an amazing machine.

Platinum when molten is blindingly white...it will dammage your eyes if you look it it with out special glasses.

The devest or get the PT out of the mold you have to break it with a hammer, and get the fused silia off the ring with Hydrofloric acid. A nasty acid that eats glass!!!

There are reasons why people who specialize in casting PT do.
For most jewelers who do casting and wax work...it is generaly a wise thing to send it out for casting...we need to save our eyes!!! and the expense for the casting is minimal in comparison to the equipment cost and risks involved...best to send it too a lab!

I send my PT works out for casting. Its just not worth the trouble to get into unless you want to do it profesionaly for other jewelers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results