shape
carat
color
clarity

Is peroxide safe for platinum?

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Hi all!

I work with children and I would like to sanitize my new platinum diamond band when I get home each day. Bleach and peroxide seem to be the only ways to kill norovirus on surfaces from what I've seen, and bleach is a no go for rings.

Is it safe to soak my ring in 3% household peroxide for a few minutes each day?

I know I've seen online that there's some kind of reaction between platinum and peroxide, but I'm not sure if it's harmful for the metal or if the information I'm seeing is about household peroxide or if it's something much stronger.

Thanks!

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Can you use alcohol? I don't have platinum, but it doesn't seem to bother my silver and gold. I don't use it on gemstones other than diamond or cz though....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the ring 100% platinum, or is this particular platinum ring made from an alloy containing other metals?
If an alloy what are the other metals init, and are those also safe for said liquids?

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Is the ring 100% platinum, or is this particular platinum ring made from an alloy containing other metals?
If an alloy what are the other metals init, and are those also safe for said liquids?

Good question Kenny. My ring is from IDJ, and should be 950 but I'm not sure which alloys they use. Does anyone know?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results