shape
carat
color
clarity

Is online diamond shopping better than local store?

hellosisi1977

Rough_Rock
Just lost a dream diamond because I was a little late. Very sad :(

Many people buying diamond online such as James Allen, Blue Nile, They all have very good reputation. However, diamond rings do need maintanece every half years. And shipping it back not just money, and it's also a pain of worrying about the shipping security. Instead, some nice jewelers have local store will replace your lost diamond if you do your maintanece on schedule and not your fault (Is it really true? anyone has diamond replacement expereience). None of the online purchasing will provide that warrenty. Instead, they will suggest you buy insurence yourself. That's another big chunk of money (anyone know how much it will cost?)

I'm still debating whether I should stay will company that has local store or buying it online...

Need more suggestions on it. Good or Bad experience are also welcome!

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
I am so interested to hear other people's replies about this. I haven't had any experience buying online but my e-ring is from Tiffany's, I've had it cleaned there 4 - 5 times, and I've had it resized 3 times. It took a while (I assume they send it somewhere because it takes 2 weeks) but it's not cost me a dime. Was thinking about getting my wedding band online but I have the same concern as you particularly since I live in Aus and all the good places are in America so even further for the ring to travel for maintenance etc.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
hellosisi1977 said:

Many people buying diamond online such as James Allen, Blue Nile, They all have very good reputation. However, diamond rings do need maintanece every half years. And shipping it back not just money, and it's also a pain of worrying about the shipping security. Instead, some nice jewelers have local store will replace your lost diamond if you do your maintanece on schedule and not your fault (Is it really true? anyone has diamond replacement expereience). None of the online purchasing will provide that warrenty. Instead, they will suggest you buy insurence yourself. That's another big chunk of money (anyone know how much it will cost?)

I'm still debating whether I should stay will company that has local store or buying it online...

Maintenance, most local jewelers will clean and check for you for free as this will give time for you to browse their wares while you wait for the checkup and cleaning to be done. Fixing it, plating it will not be free service though. Free sizing is available for a time period for most online jeweler.

The not your fault clause is very wide. What is not your fault? Standalone insurance covers everything, even if it is your fault, you just lost it, it got stolen, chip it when you drop it on the concrete etc. Personal decision on which you prefer

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
People buy online because it's usually less expensive. It's usualy really that simple.

I suppose there are also a LOT more online jewelers than local jewelers and theres a value in that and, depending on where you are and the style of your local merchants, the online guys often have a bigger selection.

It's worth noting that quite a few of the 'online' jewelers are no more or less than a local store in someone else's neighborhood who is expanding to include a national or even global audience. There are a few pure Internet players, and you've listed 2 of them, but most are a combination they are NOT all the same just because they advertise online.

I'm a big fan of supporting local merchants when you can and I don't see anything wrong with paying a premium price for a preumium service but, frankly, the 'warranty' issue strikes me as a bit of marketing slight-of-hand. For starters, the typical ring doesn't require work anything like as often as every 6 months. This will depend on your own care when wearing it but most people go for YEARS without requiring any work and, when they do, what's called for is some tipping, possible some stone tightening and possibly rhodium if it's white gold. None of this is terrible expensive to do on an ala-carte basis if and when you need it but we're back to the money thing again. How much 'extra'' is the original purchase and how much does the maintenance cost? After they get it right the first time, most people don't resize their rings more than a few times in their whole lives. If you buy a standard insurance policy, most of the perils your really concerned about, like the stone falling out, are covered losses anyway and if you don't buy a policy, the perils that are the highest risk are things like fire, theft and loss. None of which are covered under the warranty anyway. Lastly, 'inspection's are almost always free anyway because the jeweler wants to get you into the store. There's nothing wrong with that but it's does you little good to lock yourself into a particular store or to contractually obligate yourself to go in by a particular date. Some workers are considerably more skilled at repairs than others and the one you want may or may not be the one at the store you're looking at now. That's up to you, but it's nice to have it be YOUR choice rather than theirs.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
denverappraiser|1310733118|2969553 said:
It's worth noting that quite a few of the 'online' jewelers are no more or less than a local store in someone else's neighborhood who is expanding to include a national or even global audience. There are a few pure Internet players, and you've listed 2 of them, but most are a combination they are NOT all the same just because they advertise online.

I think a lot of people forget this or don't realize it. Two of the most popular online vendors here are just regular-old local jewelry businesses here where I live. If I lived in an area where I couldn't physically shop for a diamond because there just aren't any stores near me, I wouldn't hesitate to buy online. However, I see quite a few posters from major metropolitan areas asking about shopping in their local stores, and it makes me shake my head a little when I hear other posters urging them to buy online from vendors who are really just another jewelry store in a different city's diamond district.

DisneyBride828

Shiny_Rock
mrs jam|1310735851|2969569 said:

I think a lot of people forget this or don't realize it. Two of the most popular online vendors here are just regular-old local jewelry businesses here where I live. If I lived in an area where I couldn't physically shop for a diamond because there just aren't any stores near me, I wouldn't hesitate to buy online. However, I see quite a few posters from major metropolitan areas asking about shopping in their local stores, and it makes me shake my head a little when I hear other posters urging them to buy online from vendors who are really just another jewelry store in a different city's diamond district.

*claps* Perfectly said! I agree 100%!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I think that both serve their own purposes. I think that it's important to have a relationship with an honest local jeweler. If I need advice, opinion, suggestions, I would rather be able to talk face to face with someone. I've had the same jeweler for years and have made both small and large purchases through him, however when it came time to purchase my latest diamond, after discussion, he claimed to be able to compete with the online vendors. Unofrtunately, his ability to compete still came in almost a grand higher with a slightly better trade up policy. Although, now whenever I have a quick panic attack about a prong, or a loose melee, I feel that I can't run to him and ask for him to comfort me, as I did not buy the stone from him. Would he? I'm sure, it just makes me feel uncomfortable to ask.

I think that having the ability to hold the stone in your hand, in different lightings, and being able to compare several stones side by side, is also a huge advantage B&Ms have over online vendors, and I spent alot of time doing this as well. But in the end I went with an online vendor with a great trade up policy, free sizing, cleaning, rhodium plating, inspections and repair of damage for the lifetime of the ring. My local guy could only offer free cleaning and inspection. At almost $100 for just rhodium plating every year I can pay for my own insurance! And like was said before, my insurance covers any dumb thing that I do, not just a bent or broken prong.

So, I guess for a large diamond purchase, I'll be buying through an online vendor again, but I'll continue to have a great relationship with my local guy as well, because I value his honesty, and opinion, and he is a superb benchman, and I trust him completely. But when it comes to my hard earned money....I'll save the money on the stone and put the savings toward my next project! :Up_to_something:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
DisneyBride828|1310736475|2969575 said:
mrs jam|1310735851|2969569 said:

*claps* Perfectly said! I agree 100%!

I agree with this. It really depends on what your local stores have to offer, and how many stores you have in your area that carry good quality diamonds. If you live in a small-town or rural area, your options are typically limited, and you may pay more for lower quality and fewer choices. So buying online not only gives you a better price, but more choices. But if you live in a larger metropolitan area, you have the advantage of seeing and comparing diamonds in person, and seeing and trying on settings. Sometimes what you think you want (carat weight; diamond color, shape, clarity, and setting style) turns out not to be the best choice when you are seeing it in person. I also think having a relationship with a local jeweler you trust is often worth the extra they charge over online sellers.

hellosisi1977

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1310738554|2969594 said:
But in the end I went with an online vendor with a great trade up policy, free sizing, cleaning, rhodium plating, inspections and repair of damage for the lifetime of the ring.

Can you specified that online vendor you can have fre sizing and repari of damge lietime?

Thanks!

hellosisi1977

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11|1310725145|2969510 said:
hellosisi1977 said:

Maintenance, most local jewelers will clean and check for you for free as this will give time for you to browse their wares while you wait for the checkup and cleaning to be done. Fixing it, plating it will not be free service though. Free sizing is available for a time period for most online jeweler.

The not your fault clause is very wide. What is not your fault? Standalone insurance covers everything, even if it is your fault, you just lost it, it got stolen, chip it when you drop it on the concrete etc. Personal decision on which you prefer

In terms of insurance, how much should I pay for it every year, say $7000~$8000 diamond ring. And which jewerly insurance will you recommend?

Thanks!

hellosisi1977

Rough_Rock
People buy online because it's usually less expensive. It's usualy really that simple.

I suppose there are also a LOT more online jewelers than local jewelers and theres a value in that and, depending on where you are and the style of your local merchants, the online guys often have a bigger selection.

I'm a big fan of supporting local merchants when you can and I don't see anything wrong with paying a premium price for a preumium service but, frankly, the 'warranty' issue strikes me as a bit of marketing slight-of-hand. For starters, the typical ring doesn't require work anything like as often as every 6 months. This will depend on your own care when wearing it but most people go for YEARS without requiring any work and, when they do, what's called for is some tipping, possible some stone tightening and possibly rhodium if it's white gold. None of this is terrible expensive to do on an ala-carte basis if and when you need it but we're back to the money thing again. How much 'extra'' is the original purchase and how much does the maintenance cost? After they get it right the first time, most people don't resize their rings more than a few times in their whole lives. If you buy a standard insurance policy, most of the perils your really concerned about, like the stone falling out, are covered losses anyway and if you don't buy a policy, the perils that are the highest risk are things like fire, theft and loss. None of which are covered under the warranty anyway. Lastly, 'inspection's are almost always free anyway because the jeweler wants to get you into the store. There's nothing wrong with that but it's does you little good to lock yourself into a particular store or to contractually obligate yourself to go in by a particular date. Some workers are considerably more skilled at repairs than others and the one you want may or may not be the one at the store you're looking at now. That's up to you, but it's nice to have it be YOUR choice rather than theirs.

Have you heard about ShaneCo? They have many local stores and in my city we happend to have one. They also have online selling service and offer a lifetime cleaning, resizing, trading or even replace your lost diamond (center or side) if you have your regular maintenance done.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeweler's Mutual.

They have an online quote function depending on the price of the piece insured and your location.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hellosisi1977|1310746770|2969704 said:
Have you heard about ShaneCo? They have many local stores and in my city we happend to have one. They also have online selling service and offer a lifetime cleaning, resizing, trading or even replace your lost diamond (center or side) if you have your regular maintenance done.

Yes, I've heard of ShaneCo. They're actually based here in Denver. :appl:

I've discussed above about cleaning, sizing and regular maintenance and it's entirely up to you to decide what these services are worth to you. Prepaying for this sort of work is handy but whether or not it's better than buying it as you go along depends on the cost and some other variables that we don't have. The 'replacement' issue ONLY applies if it falls out of the setting or can otherwise be attached to a manufacturing defect, not if you lose the entire thing, which is far more likely. This is the reason people normally buy an insurance policy regardless of the manufacturers warranty. If you buy an insurance policy that covers total loss, it will also cover the stone falling out so you're effectively getting double coverage. That said, I count it as a good sign when a jeweler stands behind their work and is willing to put their money where their mouth is in terms of craftsmanship.

'Trade in' is a complicated question and there are quite a few variables there as well. I wrote an article about this a month or so ago and it's in the journal section of this site. You might find it helpful.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It really comes down to a combination of price, convenience, inventory, and how certain you are of what you want. For example you can easily buy a round brilliant online and know what to expect by the numbers but a nice radiant might be a trickier beast better seen in person. There are plenty of great local jewelers who are web savvy too: good old gold, solomon bros, single stone, ect....

I went to single stone to pick put my setting in person which made all the difference in the choice I would have made but my ring just travelled 16,000 miles to be repaired which worked just fine. I also have a local jeweler who does great work but i believe repairs ought to be made by the original designer due to alloy variances. You might consider buying the stone online (no sales tax) and still have the benefit of good service by using a local jeweler for settings. It's always good if you can support a local artisan.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think one aspect that's been overlooked here is specialization.
A local jewelry store needs to have the basics- plus a smaller market that prevents specialization.
One amazing aspect to the internet is that it allows a seller to skip some things, while focusing heavily on others. And then, in the case of successful sites, market to a worldwide audience.
One area of specialization might be "super ideal" diamonds.
Or Fancy Shaped diamonds. Or Fancy Colored diamonds.

Although there are some incredible sites affiliated with B&M stores, they'd never be able to carry the depth of selection if they were only servicing local needs- so it's not really accurate to say these shops are simply local stores with web sites.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's an individual decision. For me, I prefer to shop online because:
- My husband is military and we move around quite often (on our 7th assignment in 10 years). This makes it hard to build up a good relationship with a local jeweler since I purchase sporadically. When I move I can still contact the jeweler and get service as they are used to doing things via email, postal service, etc. Local jewelers haven't seemed as willing to work with me once I leave the area.
-better inventory than I can typically get in my location, usually smaller metro areas.
-I have 3 young children and it's hard to get out to spend hours going from store to store to check inventory. I can go on the computer when they are asleep or otherwise busy here and there throughout my day to do my research.
-no sales tax= quite a bit of savings.
-I buy a ton of stuff online so even such a large purchase as diamonds/jewelry doesn't phase me.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my experience, buying online is much better than local for price and value (i.e., qualoty for the price).

It is a hassel not being able to try on settings or see them in person.

If I loved in New York or a similar store I might try to find a local jewler. Or would use a PS vendor located there. But I extect a very high level of service from my jewler -- knowledge, quality, value -- and I have not found the level of service I desire from any local vendors. So I shop online, even if it is sometimes from vendors with B&M stores in other cities.

Insurance from Jewlers mutual for about $7000 is maybe $100 per year. Very inexpensive. And the cost of polishing or repairs are minimal from a trusted local vendor. The "insurance policies" offered by many B&M stores are not worth the paper they are printed on, and if you factor the extra cost of buying from most local B&M stores, they are even less valuable.

MeganR

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much Amys Bling for bringing this to my attention! Joshadz has been quite busy this morning as I have found this post on multiple jewelry forums. I've reported him to the mods. Thanks again!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
MeganR said:
Thanks so much Amys Bling for bringing this to my attention! Joshadz has been quite busy this morning as I have found this post on multiple jewelry forums. I've reported him to the mods. Thanks again!
no prob- nothing against the vendor they mentioned as I am pretty sure many on this site have had good experiences with them.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like having a local jeweler. Yes I pay more up front but I never, ever have to pay for service or repair again. I like being blue to drop my ering or my RHR off for sizing or a loose diamond and not worrying about losing them in the mail. They place I deal with has a great trade up policy. I certainly buy from online vendors but they are items that I can afford to fix or replace if necessary. Something like my ering or loose sapphires I want to see them in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results