shape
carat
color
clarity

Is notching an ering a bad idea to help it sit flush?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

atoth22

Rough_Rock
My finaci and I are getting married in May, so we need to figure out what we are doing for her wedding band soon. She has a 1.71ct round ering set in the very basic solitaire setting. However, the prongs on the setting stick out some and do not allow for the ring to sit flush or near flush with a wedding band. There are several options that people do with settings like this that are not available to us. She is in the health profession, so she has to wear gloves and will just wear her wedding band to work, not her ering. Therefore, the wedding band has to look nice by itself. Many people with the setting that she has get a drop in, or a curved wedding band. Both of those are out of the question because she will wear the wedding band alone. People also will have the ering notched and then soldered to another wedding band. This is where my question stems from. Can we get the ering notched so it will sit flush with a wedding band and not solder the two rings together? Will it potentially risk the prong falling off? From my unprofessional guess, the prongs are large enough that it wouldn''t greatly damage the integrity of the prong. It is also a six prong, so that would help too.

The other option is to have the stone reset in a different solitaire setting which would sit more flush.

Thanks for all your help.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Atoth, I am in the medical profession as well so I know all about the glove thing. To be honest I always wear my ering and wband together even at work. ( I have a 1.76ct) I think she will find that she wears them together alot. So if I were her I would reset the center stone to a mounting that would allow it to sit flush with a straight wband. JMHO, I would not want to risk notching my ering at all!

KT

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Notching the wedding band will not damage the prong on the engagement ring in any way, regardless of whether or not it is soldered together.

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results