shape
carat
color
clarity

Is my stone set too high in the halo?

Should I leave the ring as it is or lower the stone?

• Leave as is

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Lower the stone

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Have a glass of wine and stop worrying about it!

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker who's just come back to PS. I was hoping to get some advice: I just got a lovely pear halo ring last weekend that was completely remade in my size as I have tiny 2.75 fingers. When I tried on the ring in store, the diamond was set lower in the halo and looked more streamlined. While I like how sparkly the stone looks and how it catches the light when it's higher up in the setting, the side profile bugs me because I can see the airline between the diamond and the halo. I'm torn between taking it back to have the stone lowered or leaving it as is. Would appreciate advice or opinions!
IMG_20190313_175819.jpg IMG_20190313_175755.jpg IMG_20190313_175731.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I don't really have a preference on the issue. I've never bought or ordered a halo ring so haven't had reason to ponder the details of them too much. But I could see equal arguments for both ways.

The center stone and surrounding stones at the same level would be a sleeker look. The overall presence might look larger that way too, since the halo would have to be a little larger and since surrounding stones at the same level as the center stone would look more like an extension of the center stone.

On the other hand, the way it's set likely does allow more light to get into the stone, which can look more sparkly and can also make the center stone appear larger. It might also be more of a timeless look, whereas the sleek look and halo look are so popular now that they may appear dated in a few years.

I think it's just very subjective. So the important part is of course how you feel about it. It seems clear that what you got is not what you wanted or ordered/meant to order. Therefore, I vote that you should get it corrected and right after the purchase is the time for that. Please show comparison pics if you do! Good luck.

Last edited:

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you seaurchin! I'm taking the ring back to the store today to see what they can do. I'll definitely be back with some 'after' photos!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the bottom line is that if it bothers *you,* you should change it. Otherwise it will always bother you.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the elevation as it distinguishes the stone from the melee. It makes the stone pop out more and does not look like you are trying to make the stone look bigger. IMHO

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Just posting an update! I went back and spoke to the jeweller who made the ring and he agreed to lower the stone at no extra cost. He said it would still be slightly elevated but the airline would be much smaller. I'm happy with how it is still distinguishable from the halo (so it doesn't look like a cluster ring).

Thank you to @lambskin @cmd2014 and @seaurchin for steering me in the right direction :appl:

IMG_20190324_094233.jpg IMG_20190324_094349.jpg

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks better now :cool2: Lovely ring.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful.:love:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
So pretty! I’m happy you love it now..