shape
carat
color
clarity

Is my setting THAT difficult to copy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joey122

Rough_Rock
I have gone on the diamond search with many of you here at Pricescope. Now I have my diamond and having it set is a whole NEW journey, seemingly as long and as tedious. My dream setting is my avatar on the left. I have already exhausted the threads with my quest for the tension setting and have compromised by agreeing to put bars of some sort underneath to give it a tension set "look". (I by no means want to lose my diamond, although I''m having it insured.) Now I am told by a benchman that even the tension set "look" is difficult to achieve. In addition, other than the center stone being "tension set", I am talking with benchmen who can''t or won''t "invisibly set" the sidestones as in the picture...they will only channel set them (with metal in between the rows). Why is this ring such a challenge? Please help!
33.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
First, you might want to post this in RockyTalky so you can get more eyes and hopefully more answers.

As for the invisible setting, I have heard horror stories about stones chipping and/or falling out. And one PS member, I remember, had a ring that had been damaged and couldn''t find a single jeweler who could fix it.

And to quote DenverAppraiser (from this thread): "Just say no" to invisible settings.

Yet, here is what Brian Knox had to say:
Invisible settings, when done correctly can be beautiful and durable, and expected to last a normal lifetime for rings with trim diamonds of 8-20 years in gold
and longer in platinum.

When done poorly especially in low end jewelry ,invisible settings are prone to failure and impossible to repair economically.

Don''t rule them out, but be sure the jeweler will stand behind the product.

If they won''t guarantee it, ask if they will offer a tradein towards another ring.

But I''m no expert on invisible settings, so hopefully one of the experts will chime in.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2005 2:26:43 PM
Author:joey122

Why is this ring such a challenge?
... beacuse both tension and invisible setting are quite specialize skills. Not every shop uses them. Actually, invisible settign is rarely done on custom work - it is allot more often found in ready made pieces by specialized brands. Perhaps your jeweler could outsource the invisible setting part, but if they do not have the relevant resources, no wonder they tried to show you the second best (double channel).

From what I udnerstand, the proposed substitute solution would probably look like THIS (refresh the webpage to see the three pictures):

4790a.jpg

For what this is worth, Jewelryexpert lists some rings with invisibly set princesses, but no tension set rings. You might want to take a look.

Ring from Jewelryexpert.com (LINK)

Diamond-Pizzazz-Ring-1.gif

Well, am not quite sure why this three stone tension ring seems so close to your design... it really is not, but it is unusual and technically sophisticated just as much. It doesn't hurt to add a link, just in case:

cathimg.jpg

The long princess cuts used there are actually possible to find - it is a branded cut called 'baguillion' (cross between baguette and somethingelse - who knows).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results