shape
carat
color
clarity

Is my O-P too yellow? Trying to decide if I should upgrade color...Thanks for the in-put!

Is my O-P too yellow?

• Yes

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 81.6%

• Total voters

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
Not for me. But it depends on your colour sensitivity and/or if you like diamonds on the lower spectrum. I do, especially with older cuts.
I LIKE this stone! Nice pattern! Would also look great in YG or RG. It looks very big!

Thank you!!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it, but my opinion isn’t the one that matters, do you love it? It has a lovely facet pattern too. The setting is also beautiful.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too yellow for an O-P lab report/vendor grade?
Too yellow for general consensus opinion of what’s ‘pretty’?
Too yellow for the melee in the ring or next to melee in band?

I have opinions for you, but not sure what you are asking?

Would be lovely to hear more about your rings though. Family item? Complete ring or did you source to put together? And from where?

They are very pretty :love:

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
Thank you all for replying. I am brand new here. This is not a family item. I bought the setting in the summer. I had actually wanted to buy it three years ago, but couldn’t afford it and forgot about it. Then when I actually purchased it in the summer, I was scrolling through my email and realized I had tried to buy it before. I love it.
I put my 1.5 ct modern F SI2 stone in and it looked too flat and the stone sunk in. It wasn’t flattering. So, I bought this 2.24 O-P VVS2 transition cut, natural stone. I love the clarity and the size, as it fits in to the setting. The color was more yellow than I naively expected, as I bought it on-line; however, I do like the antique feel/look.
As for the band, it’s an original
Antique. I got it because it fits my size 9 fingers and love it as looks like my original wedding band.
Overall, I love my setting/band and wouldn’t change it. Just wondering if the stone was too yellow or if I being too picky? Overall, I am very happy though and love hearing positive things about it. So thank you all!!!

Hi,
Thank you all for replying. I am brand new here. This is not a family item. I bought the setting in the summer. I had actually wanted to buy it three years ago, but couldn’t afford it and forgot about it. Then when I actually purchased it in the summer, I was scrolling through my email and realized I had tried to buy it before. I love it.
I put my 1.5 ct modern F SI2 stone in and it looked too flat and the stone sunk in. It wasn’t flattering. So, I bought this 2.24 O-P VVS2 transition cut, natural stone. I love the clarity and the size, as it fits in to the setting. The color was more yellow than I naively expected, as I bought it on-line; however, I do like the antique feel/look.
Antique. I got it because it fits my size 9 fingers and love it as looks like my original wedding band.
Overall, I love my setting/band and wouldn’t change it. Just wondering if the stone was too yellow or if I being too picky? Overall, I am very happy though and love hearing positive things about it. So thank you all!!!

For what it's worth, I think the diamond looks perfect in that setting. There's a tint but it's a pleasant color. Not to brown or green.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color. The faceting looks really pretty, too.
I love the look of the O-P with the color melee it’s set with, and next to the ones in the band. (However I do not enjoy mine next to a whiter eternity I have-go figure)
I have a warmer 3stone (J/K EGL) as an ER. I love it - but I still have a tiny tiny hang up that it’s not whiter (as an ER ring) in some lightings.
Solution i guess is to have more than one - lol.

The set looks gorgeous on you.

It is truly an individual taste thing. What works for some doesn’t for others.

Last edited:

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
I’m partial to warm colored old cuts so my answer would be a resounding no. However, if you mean is the stone “too yellow” relative to the metal color of setting, then it’s a yes...you can definitely see the tint.

Most antique rings I (have) love(d) and appreciate have warmer stones set in platinum. It makes the stone stand out more, imho.
I guess what I’m trying to say here is that it boils down to personal preference, always. I LOVE your setting, by the way, @Tigerlilyrosepetal. In fact, I ❤️❤️ your set!!

Enjoy in good health and blingy happiness!!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think this comes down to preference. As a lower alphabet owner, I like the warmth. If you asked, I feel it may be a situation where you are not in love with it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Give it a little time to grow on you
i never appreated the warmer tones untill PS
Plenty peeps around here love them

Beautiful ring btw and a really smashing diamond !

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with the majority in saying it has to appeal to you, but I personally love the contrast. I adore warmer stones and I can see that ivory tint but much less so in the face up photo (2nd one). I think the setting melee actually accentuates the older stone and the platinum makes the diamond look absolutely antique. I can see where a MRB would look off.

I have an on again off again love affair wearing my M colored center and high color diamond bands. Sadly, finding low color bands is nearly impossible.

My solution has been to add colored stone bands, even ones that alternate with diamonds have just enough umpf to really compliment a warmer stone. Or stacking a ribbon of color between an eternity and my ER.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As others have said, color is a personal preference. The faceting is wonderful and it looks like it was made for that setting. If you decide to upgrade in color give yourself time as it will be a challenge to find the right mm size with as pretty faceting that isn’t out of round.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a very beautiful stone.

However, if you think it is "yellower" than you want - that's not being picky. It's just having a preference. I really like very white diamonds on me, due to my complexion. But I deeply admire many of the beautiful, warm-toned old cut stones that many people have that look glorious on them.

So, it is up to you - many people here may love it as is, or might be bothered by the tint - what do you think?

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
Everyone’s comments have been super helpful. It’s nice to talk with others who understand and are interested. I agree with all the comments so far. I really like so many things about this stone excerpt its a slight bit too yellow, at times. I love the pattern and clarity and appreciate the color because it gives me an antique vibe. I will have to give it time but also keep my eyes peeled if something better comes along-within a reasonable budget!

I like it as it is, and I wouldn’t change it. I think vintage settings look great with yellower stones. But since you asked, I do think that that setting may not necessarily be the most flattering one for that colour of stone (depending on your “goals”). If you do ever set a different stone in that setting I would set this stone in YG with a YG cup - really play up the yellow ness of the stone and make it look more like a fancy light yellow than an alphabet yellow!

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
For sure it is difficult to find such a beautifully patterned stone. For me: perfect! Wear it and feel how it works for you!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I would keep that stone and get a yellow gold setting for it! For the platinum setting (which is also gorgeous), how about a nice sapphire? You could get one with an OEC or Portuguese cut to maintain that romantic feel.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I love this soft vanilla coloring. Color in diamonds is a personal preference. I find the soft color so charming and would wear your pretty diamond in a quick second. I even prefer lower color is old cuts.

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again everyone for sharing your opinion. CF96D8D4-7463-4DC8-97FA-84E921BCB3EA.jpeg I’m going to share some more pics of the ring in different lighting conditions. It continues to intrigue me how it’s different colors under different lights. The one with the black background was at night under a porch light and is the most yellow IMO. Too bad we don’t have more candlelight! Enjoy:)

Attachments

• BF681598-E3D9-434D-B5D2-B581EF0B785D.jpeg
    BF681598-E3D9-434D-B5D2-B581EF0B785D.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 6340760E-18DC-4D5C-87CD-50D1FDCE7327.jpeg
    6340760E-18DC-4D5C-87CD-50D1FDCE7327.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 37F82DE9-4F2B-4130-B6BA-1BE897D70A77.jpeg
    37F82DE9-4F2B-4130-B6BA-1BE897D70A77.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 30

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
This is hands down a beautifully patterned/colored transitional! I want one for my very own someday and when I do, it'll probably be an even lower color. For me, it is exactly what I'd look for. I just love it.:drool::drool:

AJ37

Rough_Rock
It looks like a beautiful diamond. That color is noticeable and just needs to be embraced in that color range. A lot of people don’t see or understand that diamonds come in different colors and that each one is unique- especially with antique stones. So I would enjoy its personality and how it plays with light.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
As a fellow O-P diamond owner I will concur with everyone and say I LOVE your diamond! I think it's so gorgeous. When deciding on a setting for mine in my avatar I went with platinum and 18k gold shoulders thinking it would "go" with my sunshine colored diamond. I'm not sure it fools the eye like I originally hoped, but I like to be able to wear different bands with it. Most if the time I think mine looks pretty white to the eye but it always seems to photograph lemony. It doesn't phase me a bit. I named her Gilda, lol.

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
As a fellow O-P diamond owner I will concur with everyone and say I LOVE your diamond! I think it's so gorgeous. When deciding on a setting for mine in my avatar I went with platinum and 18k gold shoulders thinking it would "go" with my sunshine colored diamond. I'm not sure it fools the eye like I originally hoped, but I like to be able to wear different bands with it. Most if the time I think mine looks pretty white to the eye but it always seems to photograph lemony. It doesn't phase me a bit. I named her Gilda, lol.

Lol! Maybe I will have to name mine. I ordered an 18kt band 1mm band as a spacer and we’ll see. Your avatar pic is drop-dead gorgeous.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock

Aww Gilda <3 I love this. I named mine Hattie hahaha. I agree OP should name her :)

And I think coming from an F modern cut to this is a big change. I hope you can get used to it because there is so much character to an old cut. They are such chameleons. I don't know if it's just me but now when I see really white diamonds, they just look so clinical to me lol. That setting is beautiful so I really hope you get to wear it a lot.. and name her lol.

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to give an update. I decided that I will not upgrade color after all. I love her! I am going to keep this stone. I appreciate all of your comments-so helpful! I have really been paying attention to her chameleon-like color changes with varying lights and it is amazing! Thought I’d share the light show. Enjoy! 3776D93A-A310-4217-B74E-71FD62CD21DF.jpeg 0B74CFA9-B08F-45C7-A25B-55B7F841C2C5.jpeg 3504956A-8D74-4489-B469-3698693E44B5.jpeg B9D6F615-6DA2-404A-BC84-084D8DF6B076.jpeg CACA070B-198E-4369-B819-43BD7A282599.jpeg 526E1E96-D56D-4B98-92B3-16510CEA033D.jpeg DFE6DC35-D07B-4F67-94BB-2A6FC4AE2B99.jpeg 5C49670F-A0B1-4AA5-9DC0-2DC158C525E2.jpeg AD8E9974-C5BE-4E22-8F09-111E563DF284.jpeg 651FDC0A-3AC6-4B8B-923C-C1527AC0F5BD.jpeg Every day it’s different. I wanted to share some of the various pics. I also have decided to name her Betty.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results