shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Lab Certification absolutely essential??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WindyCity

Rough_Rock
I was browsing around for diamonds,and came across one that interested me on ''Dirt Cheap Diamonds''. However this one does not have a Lab certification. Would you suggest that I still go in for it? Is it possible to get it certified after buying it? And i shall really appreciate if anyone who has purchased from DCD can give their opinion about the trader. Look forward to your thoughts.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
No, a cert isn't absolutely necessary. It's advisable to get one, though. It really depends on your priorities, needs, budget and mainly time schedule. If you are planning to buy a VS quality stone, a cert would be necessary, but if you're looking at SI 3-I 1's, then it's not usual to get a cert on these qualities. An accurate, INDEPENDENT appraisal should be enough.
1.gif
You can of course get one down the road, should you decide you can't live without one.
1.gif
2.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I don't have personal buying experience with DCD, but they have good feedback here on the Forum and are very reputable. There are one of numerous reasons the diamond was not Certified.

You might contact DCD and ask info on the diamond in question. Request the Sarin info, pics of the diamond, an Ideal Scope image, and magnified pics of inclusions, if any.
1.gif

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
Sure you can buy something without certification and you can get it certified anytime you want. I would not recomend it though. Jewelry is probally going to be the third most expensive purchase in you life. I'd want to know what Iam buying. So I would say to get it certified before you put all this money into it. Try to make sure you get a cert with a cut grade on it or at least a sarin report so you can figure out the cut.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If the diamond is a half carat or so and not a higher quality diamond a cert is not all that necessary unless you want to be sure of what you are buying.

The plus side of buying a non-certed diamond is they cost less because that GIA certificate is expensive and the cost gets passed on to you. The negative side is the company selling the diamond also grades it.

To be fair, I don't think DCD would mis-grade a diamond on purpose.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm actually surprised that DCD has a stone that is not certified? What type of stone is this? I didn't even know they carried non-lab certed stones?

And myself personally...would not buy a non-certed stone. Why when there are millions of other stones out there that ARE lab certed? Also, why would someone not lab-cert a well-cut stone? I would be leery of what I was getting. Unless it was a private sale (e.g. from someone who had the stone for 20 years and wanted to sell it)...I would not buy a non-certed stone from an actual vendor.

WindyCity

Rough_Rock
This is great! Thanks for all the quick responses! I also wanted to know whether the difference between an ideal cut and a premium cut would be very evident to the naked eye?? Would you suggest that I perhaps drop down to a premium cut and offer more leeway for clarity and color or would you recommend that I stick to an ideal cut?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are the definitions of ideal and premium cut? Each vendor has their own differentiation.....be more specific on what you are thinking....are you talking something like an excellent cut stone vs a H&A? Number ranges may help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results